Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy for One Drop Off/Pick Up Per Day
sahm1225 06:30 AM 11-14-2018
I have one dcf that likes to drop off and then come back an hour later to pick up for a doctor visit. Then drop off again.
I typically wouldn’t mind, but the dcg is one that takes forever to settle down and it just throws off the day. How do you have it worded in your handbook that there’s only one pick up /drop off per day?
LittleExplorers 06:47 AM 11-14-2018
Due to the disruption it causes our group, only one drop off is allowed per day. Please plan your appointments accordingly.
jenboo 06:54 AM 11-14-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Due to the disruption it causes our group, only one drop off is allowed per day. Please plan your appointments accordingly.
I would add per family. That way if there are siblings they can't pick them up or drop off at different times
Cat Herder 07:17 AM 11-14-2018
"Please make sure our operating hours work for your family prior to enrollment. Hours are from ___AM to ____PM. One drop-off and one pick-up, per family, per day. No drop-offs after ____AM without prior approval. Arrivals prior to ___AM and departures after ___PM, not pre-approved, will be charged at a rate of $1 per minute, cash only. Arrangements can be made in advance so long as it does not become a chronic issue. Thanks in advance for your cooperation."
Cat Herder 07:21 AM 11-14-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I would add per family. That way if there are siblings they can't pick them up or drop off at different times
This one is a big deal to me. It is how I appease my neighbors in our very secluded, private neighborhood. I promised I would make every effort to minimize traffic. I do this by prioritizing sibling groups and limiting arrivals and departures.
LittleExplorers 11:34 AM 11-14-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:

I have 2 families that drop off infant in the am and prek after school 2 mornings a week. It hasn't been an issue but if it did, I would add the 1 pick up as well.
Homebody 11:53 AM 11-14-2018
The only thing I have in my policies about drop offs is that I don't allow them during quiet/nap time. I did have a 2 yr old dcg that would throw major fits if she was dropped off later that normal. It happened twice and after that I told her mom no more drop offs after 9:00 because she was disturbing the napping babies, and she would be crying inconsolable for 15-20 minutes. Her mom didn't have any issues with the request. I haven't had any issues with the other kiddos. So, I take it case by case.
Unregistered 10:56 AM 11-15-2018
Ugh I wish there was a way to enforce this with my clients who have two sets of foster kids in my program. They have visits once or twice a week two sets of kids. The last time they picked up the baby and brought him back 5 minutes later the mom didn't show for a visit. They always come at lunch and naptime. I've asked if we could do something different but the worker says it's what time the visit is scheduled.
Leigh 12:19 PM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ugh I wish there was a way to enforce this with my clients who have two sets of foster kids in my program. They have visits once or twice a week two sets of kids. The last time they picked up the baby and brought him back 5 minutes later the mom didn't show for a visit. They always come at lunch and naptime. I've asked if we could do something different but the worker says it's what time the visit is scheduled.
You can absolutely enforce your policies. If the child is being picked up at noon and nap ends at 3, just tell the parents that you will no longer allow drop offs at nap time because it disrupts the other childrens' nap time, and that the child can not be dropped off before 3pm. If it becomes the problem of the caseworker or transport worker to care for the child for an hour before he can be dropped off, they may change visit times, or they may just take care of the child themselves. Either way, not YOUR problem. YOU do not have to let it affect YOUR business. I'm a foster parent, and I have several foster kids in my childcare. I still have my own rules, and they (CPS/DSS/DCFS) can follow them just like anyone else has to.

Where I live, almost none of the biological parents are employed. They tend to schedule visits at naptime because the parents don't want to get out of bed earlier to attend visits. It is totally unfair to the child to take away their naptime so that their parents are not inconvenienced, and even more unfair to affect naps of several other kids. Just don't allow it if it is an issue for your business.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 11-15-2018
I have a set of foster kids that get picked up from care and usually brought right back as the parent rarely shows for the visits. Luckily the pick up time is manageable for me but the kids have 2 older siblings that are actually taken out of school for these visits that rarely happen.

I don't understand how taking a kid out of school for that is beneficial to the child at all.

Originally Posted by Leigh:
You can absolutely enforce your policies. If the child is being picked up at noon and nap ends at 3, just tell the parents that you will no longer allow drop offs at nap time because it disrupts the other childrens' nap time, and that the child can not be dropped off before 3pm. If it becomes the problem of the caseworker or transport worker to care for the child for an hour before he can be dropped off, they may change visit times, or they may just take care of the child themselves. Either way, not YOUR problem. YOU do not have to let it affect YOUR business. I'm a foster parent, and I have several foster kids in my childcare. I still have my own rules, and they (CPS/DSS/DCFS) can follow them just like anyone else has to.

It is totally unfair to the child to take away their naptime so that their parents are not inconvenienced, and even more unfair to affect naps of several other kids. Just don't allow it if it is an issue for your business.
I requested many many many times for the visits to be scheduled differently but was told that nothing will change. The school requested the visits be changed as well due to the older siblings missing certain class period but they too were told no.

In my case, I suspect it was because the children were Native American and the tribe was the governing agency.
LysesKids 12:45 PM 11-15-2018
That was my one pet peeve when I had Foster babes in care; you have to work around DR's appointments, social workers & parent visits... not to mention days you might have them longer due to court cases; I didn't have issues with their special needs or dietary issues ever... just timing of other stuff lol
Tags:drop off issues, hours of operation, pick up issues
Reply Up