Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tips on Quelling A Noisy Child?
just_peachy 10:01 AM 04-02-2013
I have a DCB2.5 who is very loud. He makes noise just to make noise. He's behind on all of his milestones, specifically social and verbal ones. His noises aren't out of distress or communication, he just... makes noise.

I have learned that he does a lot better with instruction when I'm VERY SPECIFIC. "We are going to the car now. I would like you to stand right next to me. Step on the steps when I do, and stop at the car door. Then we're going to get in the car and sit in our seats..." etc. ect. all day long. It works pretty well and things are a lot better than they were... but nothing has helped with the loud noises, especially at the table. Earplugs maybe?

Any ideas?
rmc20021 10:09 AM 04-02-2013
I have a new dcb who is VERY LOUD when he speaks and is constantly making shooting sounds (as he's constantly always shooting at something)...I mean continuously.

When he's talking loudly I'm constantly reminding him to use his inside voice and demonstrate and tell him we can all hear him perfectly when he speaks in a low voice.

As for the shooting sounds...it's horribly annoying considering it's nonstop, but it also goes along with my policy on the use of weapons, which includes making shooting sounds and I JUST got my other dcb who started a little over a month ago to stop doing it, so now he's 'forgetting' also.

I just keep reminding them both...constantly
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:09 AM 04-02-2013
If you figure it out let me know! My little autistic guy has always been that way and some days the others imitate him!!
itlw8 10:26 AM 04-02-2013
I assume the parents have had his hearing tested? If not start there he could be loud because his hearing is not as it should be. any history or ear infections?
Luna 10:30 AM 04-02-2013
I have three loud nonstop noisy ones, all boys. It's so frustrating! One of the dads is extremely loud too. If you find a solution I'd like to hear it...quietly of course
Evansmom 10:32 AM 04-02-2013
It could be sensory related. Some kids are sensory seekers and other are sensory avoiders.

Yours sounds like a sensory seeker.
AmyKidsCo 12:22 PM 04-02-2013
I have a very loud one too. He's always been loud; as an infant he never whined or cried, he just screamed. Now he's older his voice is still LOUD and when I said something to Mom she said "He has a loud mom too..." I wonder if the noise level in their house is louder than mine overall so he doesn't recognize the difference??
MNMum 12:28 PM 04-02-2013
Mine lives with me...I do still give him constant reminders. Inside voice please. He'll continue at same noise level. Nope turn it down a notch. Sometimes I will have him change activities to a quiet activity if he can't manage to use a reasonable voice. Mine is a 3rd child, maybe he feels he needs to yell all the time to make sure he's getting his share of the attention
Starburst 03:29 PM 04-02-2013
If he talks loudly I heard that lowering your voice when you talk with them makes them more aware of their surroundings and kinda subconciously makes them lower their voice. Maybe try setting some time everyday were he could make all the noise he wants (when ever it is least distracting- maybe during outside play or free play {limit it to 5- 10 minutes and slowly decrease the time}) and let him know this is the only time he can make loud noises and that he needs to save the noisyness for this time.
Solandia 02:31 PM 04-03-2013
My third child is also very, very loud. Constantly and I mean 100% of the time. If he is quiet for 10seconds, in means he either escaped outside/into the garage or is asleep. He has been loud/noisy since birth. He is 3.5 now. There is no mute button, no volume control. He had he hearing tested, beautiful. He just LOVES to talk. To make car noises, train noises. All authentic, of course.

I have had loud dcks before...and being "on them" 100% of the time works only a very tiny bit....but it is totally NOT worth it. Generally, scolding the child every 30second to is frustrating to them & to me....and other behaviors come out. Like stuttering, hitting or throwing toys and being intolerant of other kids behavior. I back off the "noise control", and other than being extremely annoying, everyone else is happy. So I let it go at home. It does him (and me) no good riding his butt about it. He does better at the library, and in the store (still loud, but not as bad as a home...so he is learning that certain situations need quieter voices).
Starburst 05:32 PM 04-03-2013
I just had another thought, maybe he thinks his sorrounding are too quite- some people get uncomfortable when it is too quite (heck sometimes I make funny sounds or think outloud when I am alone). Maybe try playing some soft music in the background in the background (like a spa or nature sounds CD). If nothing else maybe it will at least help him calm down a little bit and pick some less annoying sounds to immitate.

But there is always the chances that it's just part of his personality/ quirks/ temperment (whatever they are calling it these days) I heard they used to call it a 'fiesty' temperment but I heard now they are calling them 'spirited' temperment because I guess 'fiesty' implies 'agressive' or 'violent'.
Reply Up