Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lice
Unregistered 06:37 AM 12-06-2014
Has anyone of you ever had lice in your home. My dd came home from school with nits. None of my dcks have it so far but I'm at a loss of where to start and what to do. I notified all parents, how long does it take to get rid of them? I can't take kids back till they are 100% gone...
NoMoreJuice! 07:02 AM 12-06-2014
First of all, don't panic. Lice don't carry any diseases or cause any permanent damage. They're just annoying.

Check out this link for more info: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74356
Mom o Col 11:48 AM 12-06-2014
Do not panic. We've been through this twice with a daycare child. I ended up with it as well. The first time I used olive oil on my hair nightly for a week and then every other night for two weeks after that and combed out any nits and lice nightly. The second time I found a much easier solution. You can also call your doctor for a prescription for lice killing shampoo but it can be ineffective due to resistance. Here is a link to what I did the second time and it worked great. Less messy and time consuming than the olive oil. It uses Cetaphil face cleanser but I bought the store brand and it was fine. Get a good nit comb. Not the one that comes with the lice shampoo kits. I will put a link for the one the professional "nit pickers" use. One of my kid's aunts does that for a living.

http://nuvoforheadlice.com/test/
http://www.amazon.com/Nit-Free-Termi...ords=lice+comb
craftymissbeth 07:03 AM 12-08-2014
Originally Posted by Mom o Col:
One of my kid's aunts does that for a living.
Call me weird, but I would LOVE that job!
sugar buzz 07:21 AM 12-08-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
ME, TOO!!!!

I just constantly (and rather obsessively) combed through their hair, after they were treated. They knew not to sit down around me. You can also take them outside or close to a big door or window to comb through. (The natural light makes them easier to see.) I had to buy a better lice comb for long hair. I also washed all coats, backpacks, scarves, car seats, anything that I could think of that their little heads touched. It took two treatments--about a week.
KiddieCahoots 08:07 AM 12-08-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
........ No offense, not calling names or anything. This post gives my mind a clear image of monkeys sitting in the jungle grooming. ........

I'm getting itchy all over again.
craftymissbeth 08:50 AM 12-08-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
........ No offense, not calling names or anything. This post gives my mind a clear image of monkeys sitting in the jungle grooming. ........

I'm getting itchy all over again.
haha I wouldn't eat them or anything geez
jenboo 02:53 PM 12-08-2014
I had it in elementary school. My sister and I had it off and on for a year. Most of our house was tied up in trash bags for months.
It sounds like its easier to get rid of now...i had it about 20 years ago.
Disneyfan 05:30 PM 12-08-2014
Treat yourselves first. Then the bedding, furniture, etc. We were told to keep combing and checking hair. We did twice a day for the first couple days or until it seemed to be getting better then down to once a day. Remember to wash clothes etc in HOT water and the dryer on the HOT setting. Heat will help kill them. Don't forget to vacuum real good including car seat and vehicle. I put my daughters back pack in the dryer too to help kill any lice that may have been on it (wanted to make sure we got it all). Soak combs, brushes, pretties in rubbing alcohol for I think it was an hour. Good luck.
Tags:lice, nits
Reply Up