Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing: Help Me Pick a Date
butterfly 10:34 AM 09-09-2015
I've been really emotional over the decision to close my daycare. My DH got promoted at work. His salary increased enough to cover my income so my income is not so vital.

We have decided that this year will be my last year. Since I run a school year only program, I'm really struggling with the decision to finish out the school year or close at the end of this calendar year. In a perfect situation, I would finish the school year, but...

If I wait to finish the school year, my own kids will be in high school next year... I've never had the opportunity to drop off/pick up my kids from school, or have a lunch date with them, etc. By the time they are in high school, I doubt they want their momma showing up at school to have lunch with them. I feel like I missed out on so much with this profession...

Also my license expires in March. I do not want to jump the hoops to renew my license for an additional 2 months to be able to finish the school year.

There are also other expenses that we'd incur after the first of the year in order to keep my business going for a few more months: liability insurance, software fees, cpr and training requirements for license renewal...

Right now I have a baby (posted about a week or 2 ago..) who will not stop crying. I'm honestly ready to be done. Right. Now. But thought if I'm closing anyway, I could stick out the crying baby until I'm done.

I have 5 families right now, 3 of which are teachers. I'd like to finish the school year for them, but just not sure it's worth it for ME.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks for listening.
nannyde 10:58 AM 09-09-2015
Close as soon as you can. Trust me, if any of your parents had this option they would pull their kid and not think a second on how it would affect your family.
Thriftylady 11:45 AM 09-09-2015
As far as taking lunch to a HS student. My DD loves it. As long as I buy food to bring and it isn't homemade. Then it is a treat. I have done subway often, I always take us a bag of chips and cookies from the grocery store and don't forget the soda!
NoMoreJuice! 11:48 AM 09-09-2015
Close asap! Good for you!

If I had to pull a date out of the hat...it would be October 9th. That way this Friday you could give them a 4 week notice. I think that's more than fair.
Unregistered 11:56 AM 09-09-2015
I'd close in October.
Then you can spend the holidays relaxed and free of all the "drama" holidays usually bring with clients.
Like NannyDe said, if this were parents they'd pick up Friday and probably not even give notice at all. They just wouldnt show up. lol! Not all parents but most.
I'd spend Nov/Dec getting my tax stuff and that sort of thing done so that I could start the new year doing NOTHING daycare related.
Willow 12:17 PM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'd close in October.
Then you can spend the holidays relaxed and free of all the "drama" holidays usually bring with clients.
Like NannyDe said, if this were parents they'd pick up Friday and probably not even give notice at all. They just wouldnt show up. lol! Not all parents but most.
I'd spend Nov/Dec getting my tax stuff and that sort of thing done so that I could start the new year doing NOTHING daycare related.

This is what I did.

I gave notice in October I believe and closed the day before Thanksgiving. It gave me time to actually enjoy the holidays and wrap everything up before the end of the year. I took the month of December to sell off all my daycare stuff (hello Christmas money!) and had a fresh start free and clear in my home for the new year.

It's refreshing to hear how much you care for the needs of your families but they'll manage. Especially if you give them plenty of notice. All of my families attended until my very last day, but do be prepared for them to move immediately if they find alternate care. Keep in mind you could end up with a straggler, meaning all but one family goes until the very end. I know you don't need the money anymore but just something to keep in mind.

It was a hard decision for me to make and follow through with as well, I understand
Controlled Chaos 12:24 PM 09-09-2015
Oh definitely close in October! 4 weeks notice is more than enough Congrats!
Baby Beluga 12:25 PM 09-09-2015
I agree, I would close in October or November. That way you can have the holidays with your family free of DC and allow you to tie up end of the year stuff like taxes then start 2016 with a clean slate.
butterfly 12:32 PM 09-09-2015
Typing through tears....

This decision is so hard for me. I honestly feel like most of these families ARE my family. I am so ready for the next chapter, but so sad to leave this one behind.

An October closing makes a lot of sense. I just feel bad that I've only been open for 3 weeks this school year...

I really appreciate the replies and encouragement.
VTMom 01:33 PM 09-09-2015
Or close November 20th (Friday before Thanksgiving). You could put aside the money earned during November and treat yourself and DH to something extravagent! Plus you'll get your holidays!
Crazy8 02:12 PM 09-09-2015
Because of the teachers I would probably stick it out till xmas break. But I know parents would never give me that same consideration so I wouldn't blame you for giving 30 days notice right now and being done!!! Maybe give the notice now for the end of the calendar year and let them know how much you would understand if they found alternate care sooner. I sooooo wish I could be in your shoes! DH gets raises and promotions but somehow with that our expenses go up (3 kids in sports, 3 kids in braces and soon it will be 3 kids going to college, etc.) that I don't think I'll ever be able to give up the daycare!
e.j. 02:13 PM 09-09-2015
As much as I enjoy my dc kids and families, I would close asap. Based on my policies, that would mean a two week notice for the parents.
rosieteddy 03:04 PM 09-09-2015
I had to close unexpectantly.The parents had no notice(heart attack).They managed fine .First they had a nanny come to one of their houses,then 2 went to preschool....The last 3 had a nanny share.They paid her more than me ,under the table and they made the lunches and snacks.I was easily replaced .They let her drive around and bring the children to her house (unseen).Sure they felt bad and didn't wish me harm but thier family came first.Put yourself first.Give as little as your contract allows and enjoy.
Unregistered 03:53 PM 09-09-2015
I agree, I would close in October!
LindseyA 06:18 AM 09-10-2015
October is my vote! Don't feel selfish for closing asap.... I know you probably get the tinge of guilt. You have put however many years in, completely unselfishly taken care of however many children, and if your anything like most of us here you do everything for everyone else and put yourself last. Do this for yourself and you will be more than glad you did it! You deserve it!
butterfly 08:44 AM 09-10-2015
Yes, definitely feel the guilt...

Dh and I started this conversation again last night but got interrupted by some unexpected company. I think we are going to pray about it for a couple weeks. He gets paid monthly so his first check with his new pay rate will come at the end of the month. Once we have his paystub we will have a budget meeting so we can truly see how the numbers work.

At this present moment I'm leaning towards being done at Christmas break and giving notice at the end of this month. That would give everyone plenty of time to start looking for alternate care.

I really, really appreciate everyone's replies and thoughtful feedback. Thanks so much!!
Stephnrich 02:54 PM 09-10-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Close as soon as you can. Trust me, if any of your parents had this option they would pull their kid and not think a second on how it would affect your family.
Exactly. We put so much thought into their convenience and being there for them, but now it's your turn. Close asap.
Reply Up