Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seriously… when are they going to get it?
LeslieG 10:27 AM 09-08-2014
I'm tired of parents thinking it's okay to bring their child when they had a fever the night before.

Just had to call for a child to be picked up because they have a 101.7 fever. When I called she was like "oh that's funny, he didn't have a fever this morning… I should have remembered to pack some Tylenol because that always breaks his fever right away"…. Yes, that may break his fever but he's still fighting something off and it could be contagious!!
SSWonders 10:39 AM 09-08-2014
I love it that parents think their child no longer HAS a fever because it went down when they took Tylenol.
Cradle2crayons 10:44 AM 09-08-2014
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I'm tired of parents thinking it's okay to bring their child when they had a fever the night before.

Just had to call for a child to be picked up because they have a 101.7 fever. When I called she was like "oh that's funny, he didn't have a fever this morning… I should have remembered to pack some Tylenol because that always breaks his fever right away"…. Yes, that may break his fever but he's still fighting something off and it could be contagious!!
THIS is why I have a 24/48 exclusion policy like a lot of other providers here.

If you keep them home they can return 24 hours after the symptoms that exclude have gone... but if I have to SEND them home because you sent them sick... they have to wait 48 hours after the symptoms subside....

Now, with that in mind.... if a child arrives and they are fine.... and they are here 8 hours perfectly great and then start getting sickly.. especially if they are old enough to have informed me of medication... then I may only exclude for 24 hours after...

It really stops the dope and drops that SUDDENLY become ill when meds would wear off.... and it also stops those that choose to send KNOWING FULL WELL they were sick the night before and the morning of...
Shell 10:50 AM 09-08-2014
They will never get it- as long as they see their job/meeting as more important that day. Am I being too cynical today
TwinKristi 10:57 AM 09-08-2014
Ugh that has to be one of the most frustrating parts of this job for me. I had a mom who always brought her sick DCB here and at first it was just him and my DS (who usually ended up sick as well) so it wasn't a big deal and I figured napping and resting here was better than sitting at his mom's work until dad got off work in the mid afternoon or just stayed with mom all day. Fever of 104, vomiting, mouth sores... Always just brought him to work. but then I started watching other kids and had to worry about spreading the illness to more than just my kids. I started being strict about it and she didn't like that and eventually put him in preschool earlier than we planned and it was right after we had a disagreement about him being sick and I had her bring a drs note. She didn't like that her previous provider always sent him home for the smallest things like teething but now I know why! LOL the fevers of 103 weren't really the "smallest things" ya know? Haha!
Reply Up