Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Diaper Too Many Times A Day????
saved4always 11:08 AM 01-24-2012
Has anyone else ever had a parent tell them that they are changing thier child's diaper too many times a day???? One of my dcp's asked me yesterday if I have some kind of rule where I have to change the kids' diapers every too hours or something. She said they send me 5 diapers a day and they were surprised yesterday that there was only one left when they got home. Guess they noticed that last week, too. I think she was irritated because she had to go to Target last night to get diapers. I am legally unliscensed so I don't have any "rule" I go by but I do try to make sure all my dck's are comfortable, clean and dry. Yesterday I know I changed a semi-wet diaper on this child and then she pooped 10 minutes later in the clean one...that was 2 diapers in 10 minutes. This child is here for 8.5 hours and often poops here. Just wondered if anyone else has parents who seem to want them to only go through 2 diapers a day.
Cat Herder 11:14 AM 01-24-2012
I have.

I typically tell them which generics I like best and who currently has them on sale....
laundrymom 11:17 AM 01-24-2012
I'm very opinionated,.. I have NO PROBLEM telling them how I feel. I am honest and say, I KNOW the diaper CAN hold more, but it is gross to sit on urine. If I see they peed, I change them. If you don't think so, lets get an adult diaper, you put it on, and pee. Then sit in it while cleaning the house until it leaks.

That's gross!!! They will say,...

Exactly. Is how I respond.
JennyBear 11:21 AM 01-24-2012
I agree!

I haven't been told I change the kids too often, but I think one family thinks it. (One mom mentioned that I change her child's diaper a little more then she does but she meant it in a good way)

Parents should be happy that their kids are being changed often and your on top of it. It could be worse! Parents could be going out and buying lots of diaper cream from children being left in wet, poopy diapers all day long. Geez!
(then it would be YOUR fault that the child has a rash, LOL)
Sometimes we can never win!
Meyou 11:24 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I'm very opinionated,.. I have NO PROBLEM telling them how I feel. I am honest and say, I KNOW the diaper CAN hold more, but it is gross to sit on urine. If I see they peed, I change them. If you don't think so, lets get an adult diaper, you put it on, and pee. Then sit in it while cleaning the house until it leaks.

That's gross!!! They will say,...

Exactly. Is how I respond.
That's the route I go too and I feel the same way. Even though they're small, they shouldn't have to sit in urine just because diapers are designed to hold a ridiculous amount of pee.

I change them 4-5 times per day for sure and more than that if they poop or are heavy wetters.
caring4kidsinSD 12:01 PM 01-24-2012
I go by what we did at the center I worked at years ago - Toddlers about every 3 hours(unless poopy) and infants every 2 hours(again unless poopy). Typically I change them 3 times a day unless really wet or poopy.
bice99 12:01 PM 01-24-2012
I have a cubby here for every kid, so parents just bring a pack of diapers and wipes as needed. What if they kid had needed to be changed 6 times and you only had 5 diapers. Plus parents forget to restock the diaper bag. And I don't have to store diapers bags here. Makes me happy
cheerfuldom 12:02 PM 01-24-2012
I have parents complain that I change too much....and some not enough. You can't ever please all of them. I always say that I change on an as need basis. I do not let children remain in a soiled diaper. I have never had a parent specifically ask if their child can remain in a soiled diaper so they can save money....although I know that is what a lot of them do. I rarely respond to complaints and basically brush it off unless they ask a specific question.

As with many other "issues", I tell them what I do and then the discussion is over. If they are needing some other service, they are welcome to look for it elsewhere. I think I give off this vibe and rarely ever have the little snide comments and complaints that I used to.
Mary Poppins 12:34 PM 01-24-2012
I've never been called out on it, but one of my former dcm's told me she thought the center her ds was in prior to coming to me changed him too often.

I'm sure she was a little surprised when I went through 5-6 diapers a day with him because I am not one to let them sit in a dirty diaper and risk getting a rash. She never said a word to me about it, though. Like the pp, I basically tell the parents what to expect and they can like it or lump it.
DCMom 12:45 PM 01-24-2012
I've had the exact opposite.

It was my first dcfamilies. They sent 10 diapers and two changes of clothing in the diaper bag everyday. They thought his clothing should be changed at least once a day and the diaper every hour. Of course they didn't tell me this up front, they kept a spreadsheet of the # of times he was changed for the 30 days he was here (not kidding...) and presented it with their termination letter.

I think this family was where I stopped allowing diaper bags
SilverSabre25 12:48 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:

It was my first dcfamilies. They sent 10 diapers and two changes of clothing in the diaper bag everyday. They thought his clothing should be changed at least once a day and the diaper every hour. Of course they didn't tell me this up front, they kept a spreadsheet of the # of times he was changed for the 30 days he was here (not kidding...) and presented it with their termination letter.

some people have waaaaay too much time on their hands
wdmmom 12:53 PM 01-24-2012
I write on the box or bag the day they come in and how many are in there. I then figure up how long a bag/box lasts me.

If a parent comes back with not enough or too much, I can look through my attendance log and tell them an average of X amount of diapers are used daily.

Typically 4 per day. For babies, 6-8.
Snapdragon 12:55 PM 01-24-2012
Generally, I've been told that a child can go through up to 7 diapers a day, though I'm sure that varies with age. We keep an inventory with the date and number of diapers a family will bring in and it generally works out that children use anywhere from 3-7 diapers a day. We have had a minority of parents who felt like their supply of diapers should have lasted longer, but when we refer to the inventory and look it over with a parent or family member, it usually works out that it has been longer than they think since they last brought in diapers.
Mary Poppins 12:57 PM 01-24-2012

WOW. Just wow.
MissK 12:58 PM 01-24-2012

wow...I don't think 'over the top' would even BEGIN to explain this!! Honestly, I couldn't even guess how many times I change my little guy in one day - of COURSE it varies!! Because lord knows that diaper changes do not correspond at all with their appetite, how many cups/bottles they've had, how much they ate, what they ate and so on. Crazy people....
sharlan 12:58 PM 01-24-2012
I'd change when dressing in the morning after breakfast, before nap, after nap, and again before the parents came. So that would be a minimum of 4 times and generally at least once or twice other times as needed.
Heidi 01:03 PM 01-24-2012
my toddlers get 2-4 diapers a day. It depends on how often they have BM's. They come in fresh diapers at 7:30, so I change them just before lunch (so around 11), and then again after nap (so around 3:30). THey go home at 4:45.

It's not as much as some of you, but no one has ever had a rash (except the guy who had loose stools due to an antibiotic for ear infection, and I was changing him more often then), and no one has soaked through a diaper. When they were still drinking bottles, I changed them more often, for sure!
DCMom 01:03 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
some people have waaaaay too much time on their hands
No kidding!

Funniest part, 2.5 years later, when their second kid came along they actually called me and wanted to bring both kids here....his exact words were 'we learned a lot at our other FOUR daycares and we would like another chance with you'

Really? Ahhh....no.
Country Kids 01:06 PM 01-24-2012
I change 3 times in the mornings (every two hours) and then one or two times before they go home. Of course if there are issues in between I will change them then also.

My mil always said I never brought enough diapers. I used cloth and if the child drippled they were changed. 10 diapers wouldn't even last 5 hours. She had three in diapers when her kids where little and would go through I think she said 100 diapers a day (cloth)!
Hunni Bee 02:32 PM 01-24-2012
I dont have a trained kids, but the toddlers are changed around 9:30, before nap, after nap and around 4:30, and then as needed for BMs. The infants are checked and changed if need be every hour, unless sleeping.

We've had parents complain that we use too many diapers, but that's not something we fold on.
saved4always 03:32 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
my toddlers get 2-4 diapers a day. It depends on how often they have BM's. They come in fresh diapers at 7:30, so I change them just before lunch (so around 11), and then again after nap (so around 3:30). THey go home at 4:45.

It's not as much as some of you, but no one has ever had a rash (except the guy who had loose stools due to an antibiotic for ear infection, and I was changing him more often then), and no one has soaked through a diaper. When they were still drinking bottles, I changed them more often, for sure!
The little girl I watch comes at 6:40 a.m. in a clean diaper, but, sometimes she poops within the first hour. On those days, especially, I would have a hard time keeping it to 2 or 3 diapers for the day. I always change them all after lunch and right before nap whether they need it or not. She doesn't get wet as often as the dcb who almost soaks through at nap. And she sleeps til her mother picks up so she usually goes home in her nap diaper. So, today, for example, I only used 2 diapers on her...but she didn't poop until lunch time. It just irritates me that the mom said anything...she wasn't mean about it; she was very nice, but it still made me feel like I was doing something wrong makeing sure she is always dry.
e.j. 04:40 PM 01-24-2012
they kept a spreadsheet of the # of times he was changed for the 30 days he was here (not kidding...) and presented it with their termination letter.

So I have to ask.....how did you react when they pulled out the spreadsheet? I think I would have had a hard time keeping a straight face if it had been me.

I've also had a parent tell me I was changing her infant too often. She told me to try not to change him more often than every 4 hours because she's "cheap" and doesn't want to buy any more diapers than she has to. I was changing him every hour to 1 1/2 hours because he was totally soaking them. She was definitely getting her money's worth out of them even then!

She supplied me with Vasoline to put on his bum in between changes so he doesn't get a rash and I've tried to change him a little less often but I won't make him sit in a soaking wet or poopy diaper. I'd love to use Laundrymom's idea and suggest she try wearing a dirty Depends for 4 hours to see how she likes it.
Unregistered 05:02 PM 01-24-2012
I hate generic wips which fall apart while you are cleaning! ICK
PitterPatter 05:08 PM 01-24-2012
If they are wet they are changed. Period!

I don't know of a policy but that is mine. I sure wouldn't want to sit in even a teaspoon of urine so why should anyone else. I have had complaints in the past too that I use too many diapers only I was told "try to cut back on the diaper usage" I told them I would when the child cut back on peeing. That was the end of that discussion.
JenNJ 05:35 PM 01-24-2012
I have typical change times (before we go outside at 9:45, after lunch at 12:15, after nap at 3:00, and I check before i send them home) but if I see any sagging or smell anything funky, they are getting a clean one.
saved4always 06:20 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
If they are wet they are changed. Period!

I don't know of a policy but that is mine. I sure wouldn't want to sit in even a teaspoon of urine so why should anyone else. I have had complaints in the past too that I use too many diapers only I was told "try to cut back on the diaper usage" I told them I would when the child cut back on peeing. That was the end of that discussion.

DCMom 04:35 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:

So I have to ask.....how did you react when they pulled out the spreadsheet? I think I would have had a hard time keeping a straight face if it had been me.
Shock, speechless. It took me a few minutes to realize what it was; I honestly thought everything was fine. My first PITA parents ~ I will never forget them
momma2girls 06:52 AM 01-25-2012
I have parents bring a box or bags of them. I also tell them when I am low on baby wipes. I keep them in a storage room- and pull out what I think I will need daily. When they are low, I let parents know. It works out wonderfully. In the 9 yrs. I have not ever had a parent complain about it at all!!
Meeko 06:54 AM 01-25-2012
No daily diaper bags allowed. Too easy for them to forget to put more diapers in etc. And some days the child goes through more diapers than another day. Each parent brings a large pack, which are stored on shelves in the changing area. I notify them when I want more.
e.j. 10:40 AM 01-25-2012
My first PITA parents ~ I will never forget them
I bet! Funny how the worst ones stick in your head forever.
Tags:diapers
Reply Up