Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas to Keep Clothes Dry??
littlefriends 11:57 AM 10-17-2018
I just bought a super cool/fun water table and I’m wanting to have it inside since it’s getting colder here where I’m at. I have a smaller house (under 900 sq ft) and my daycare space is in my living/dining/kitchen areas so I’m kind of scared to let them just down and kind of free with messy play. Right now they sit at a table (my kitchen table my family uses) and only one kiddo at a time plays with the messy bin. I need ideas on how to possibly keep the mess at the water table and how to keep their clothes from getting wet. Our outdoor one only gets wet messy play stuff in it if it’s warm/hot out. Otherwise I have stuff in it that won’t wet their clothes, like sand, rice, oatmeal. I’ll add also that I have 10 right now and 7 are 2!
Indoorvoice 12:51 PM 10-17-2018
I use a cheap shower curtain liner under the water table and just strip down to diapers or just plan on changing their clothes for water play. But I've seen some cool smocks from ikea that have good coverage that I've been wanting to get.
Josiegirl 02:13 AM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I use a cheap shower curtain liner under the water table and just strip down to diapers or just plan on changing their clothes for water play. But I've seen some cool smocks from ikea that have good coverage that I've been wanting to get.
This is what I do too. I've tried using old tees for covering but they just soak through anyways. Kids LOVE water. I also have a few towels at the ready because even if you've got your floor covered, it'll still get wet, then you've got dcks slipping and sliding.
Cat Herder 04:24 AM 10-18-2018
You could use disposable rain ponchos. They are cheap and sold in bulk. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...YIH5072G&psc=1 These are good enough quality to reuse for a while. (I have them in my emergency kit)

Personally, I change them into my stock of footed PJ's for messy play then change them back. It makes a great transition activity, too.
Ariana 10:17 AM 10-19-2018
Parents bring extra clothes and I change them during free play. Stripping them down or art smocks work too.

I put 5-6 towels on the floor to soak up the water and keep the kids from slipping.
littlefriends 10:03 PM 10-19-2018
I didn’t even think of ponchos! Ran to the dollar store and got some shower curtain liners and couldn’t find any ponchos but I bought medium size trash bags and the kids thought it was the most hilarious thing we’ve ever done! They had so much fun. I just had bubbly water in there but now I’m so excited to try other stuff!
Cat Herder 06:33 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
I didn’t even think of ponchos! Ran to the dollar store and got some shower curtain liners and couldn’t find any ponchos but I bought medium size trash bags and the kids thought it was the most hilarious thing we’ve ever done! They had so much fun. I just had bubbly water in there but now I’m so excited to try other stuff!
Awesome! Great solution.
LittleExplorers 06:46 AM 10-22-2018
We use muddy buddy's or oakiwear suits for wet days. We are in the country and go out 99% of days. Probably not worth the investment for just water table use, but they are awesome. Otherwise, my kiddos get wet and get changed into their spare clothes.
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 10-22-2018
I use children's plastic aprons similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/Children-Wate...3N3PXWWTGSJ14N

I also put my entire water table in a small children's pool. Keeps the mess completely contained. I also only allow small groups of 2-3, sometimes up to 4 at a time but no more than that.
littlefriends 09:32 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use children's plastic aprons similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/Children-Wate...3N3PXWWTGSJ14N

I also put my entire water table in a small children's pool. Keeps the mess completely contained. I also only allow small groups of 2-3, sometimes up to 4 at a time but no more than that.
A baby pool!! What a good idea, that would be so perfect. I have wood floors so my husband drove me nuts harping about how I was going to ruin the floors, blah blah
Cat Herder 10:35 AM 10-22-2018
Washing machine trays work great, too. Less tripping.
rosieteddy 10:53 AM 10-22-2018
You guys are saints.I would never use water tables inside.
Tags:sensory - water, sensory table, water table, water table - staying dry
Reply Up