Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Center
se7en 10:25 PM 09-10-2013
I noticed most of you run a home- based daycare. Does anyone work in a center ? I may get a position in the one my niece is in, though not in her room. I spoke to the director and filled out an application. I already work with children, but on a much smaller scale. Can anyone give me insider info about working in a center ? Thanks .
Michael 10:34 PM 09-10-2013
You should get some responses in the morning. I believe BlackCat31 works at a center.
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
You should get some responses in the morning. I believe BlackCat31 works at a center.
Nope, I own and operate a family child care but don't run it out of my home. I bought a separate home in which to run my child care.

I continue to be licensed as a family child care provider (Large group) simply because being licensed as a center would mean I HAVE to accept school age children and that is NOT going to happen.

We DO have several members here who do work in a center. The first one that comes to mind if Hunni Bee.

I know there are several but I can't remember who at the moment.
Cat Herder 08:46 AM 09-11-2013
Remember high school????

Yep, it is like that... Except you can't hide in the bathroom when the room starts to spin.
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Remember high school????

Yep, it is like that... Except you can't hide in the bathroom when the room starts to spin.
Come to think of it, I spend an extraordinary amount of time in the bathroom counting to 10 on some days....
Willow 08:54 AM 09-11-2013
CH - you are extraordinarily "spicy" lately......absolutely love the giggles you're dropping everywhere lol
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
CH - you are extraordinarily "spicy" lately......absolutely love the giggles you're dropping everywhere lol
...Just wait until her "words of wisdom" start speaking up in your head when you least expect it.

Cat Herder is one of people here I have learned the most from and contribute her wisdom to my current sanity.
pandamom 10:26 AM 09-11-2013
I do. I work in a NAEYC center in a two year old room. There are pluses and minuses just like any type of job, but I like it. It really helps that the building I'm in is pretty drama free for a building full of women
Willow 10:34 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
...Just wait until her "words of wisdom" start speaking up in your head when you least expect it.

Cat Herder is one of people here I have learned the most from and contribute her wisdom to my current sanity.
I already hear echoes and scoldings from several of you here sometimes lol.

Makes me feel like a lunatic
melilley 10:45 AM 09-11-2013
I have worked in a center setting for 14 years before opening my fcc! Like others have said, there are ups and downs. It all really depends on the people you work (like CH said, it can be like High School sometimes) with and the type of center. I worked in 3 different centers, (higher pay at each move) and each one had it's own pro's and con's.
Some days were great and some terrible!

I did meet some wonderful people through the years that I still talk to and wouldn't trade my experience working in any of the centers for nothing!
Angelsj 11:28 AM 09-11-2013
I already hear echoes and scoldings from several of you here sometimes lol.

Makes me feel like a lunatic
The voices....
Lavender 01:25 PM 09-11-2013
I work in a center. I'm the lead teacher in a mobile infant classroom.
lovemylife 01:34 PM 09-11-2013
I used to work in a center but now I am in home.
Cat Herder 04:24 AM 09-12-2013
Awww... Thanks.

Did I mention I received a Keurig??? I mean, it is only polite to try ALL the flavors as soon as possible.....

And Thanks BC. You call it wisdom, I call it "learned the hard way".... I could have gotten so much more accomplished early on if I had just moved out of my own way..

Judy and Nan helped me a lot when I needed it. I'd still be working for free and enabling parents to an extreme if they had not held up that "mirror". Teaching them to fish beats giving them a fish every day of the week. Daycare is not a charity. It becomes a huge circle of support after a bit.
Unregistered 09:03 PM 09-18-2013
I got the job ! I started this past Monday. For now I am in the baby room. I think they hired me because my niece goes to pre-k there, but she is leaving that program in Oct. So, I really enjoy it, the kids are great. But......changing diapers every hour ? That is annoying only because I feel like anytime I start to play or sing with them I have to watch the clock. I change them in the morning, after they all eat. (There are 6 babies. The youngest is 5 mos old ). So then myself and the other girl start to read, or do an activity, then they need to be changed again. Over and over all day. But, they are darling. When they turn 1, they go to the next room. I have a little girl who is going to the next room on Monday. I just got to know her. That part is tough.
My co-workers on the other hand, please please please lose the attitude. I see some of the girls when I am getting lunches. They can't even say hello, good afternoon, etc. I am trying to like this job, but what is up with the snippy attitude ? I don't know them from Adam, but they give me a look. Seriously. So I ignore it and still say hello. I can see why my sister wants to leave. They all seemed so friendly when I was dropping off my niece a few times a week. So, I will try to stick with it. The parents, by the way, are very kind and sweet.
se7en 10:10 PM 09-18-2013
Sorry, that was me in the above post. I signed in but somehow went through computer twilight zone and I posted as unregistered. I think the trick is to have the "keep me logged in " button on. I am new to message boards also.
Cat Herder 12:06 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So I ignore it and still say hello.
Treat it just like with the kids.

Model polite behavior and HOPE they learn from imitation.

Never stoop to their level. The only thing that follows you from one job to another is YOUR behavior, the new employer will never *see* theirs...

Congrats!!! Enjoy the kids!!
se7en 12:46 PM 09-19-2013
Thanks. I really am enjoying them.
Tags:centers
Reply Up