Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>12 Year Old Babysitting
SquirrellyMama 12:16 PM 12-06-2013
My 12 year old might start babysitting for a family with a 2 year old boy. This will be Mon-Fri for 3 hours/day. I am trying to figure out how much money she should ask for. I told them she could watch the little guy here, but I eventually want it moved to their house. I am giving everyone time to be comfortable with the situation.

I also told them I would be her back up when she has dance class or similar conflict.

I am legally unlicensed so this shouldn't be a problem. I am also not at capacity.

Any thoughts?

Kelly
thetoddlerwhisper 12:19 PM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
My 12 year old might start babysitting for a family with a 2 year old boy. This will be Mon-Fri for 3 hours. I am trying to figure out how much money she should ask for. I told them she could watch the little guy here, but I eventually want it moved to their house. I am giving everyone time to be comfortable with the situation.

I also told them I would be her back up when she has dance class or similar conflict.

I am legally unlicensed so my numbers will not be affected.

Any thoughts?

Kelly
i would say around 15 a day depending on how difficult he is
itlw8 12:31 PM 12-06-2013
depending on what you charge it is likely cheaper to enroll him in your program. Around here the babysitters( teens) get around $5 an hour but I only get 95 a wk for 45 hours.
SquirrellyMama 01:05 PM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
depending on what you charge it is likely cheaper to enroll him in your program. Around here the babysitters( teens) get around $5 an hour but I only get 95 a wk for 45 hours.
I was thinking about having her ask between $3-$5 although I agree that $5 will probably be too high. Since it is an everyday job I thought she could give them break on price and ask a flat fee. She is only 12 so that could limit her on how much she can ask also. We make her pay for extra dance classes/costumes, entertainment,etc... so I thought this would be a good opportunity for her. I am hoping I can guide her more than I was as a teen babysitter.

Kelly
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
I was thinking about having her ask between $3-$5 although I agree that $5 will probably be too high. Since it is an everyday job I thought she could give them break on price and ask a flat fee. She is only 12 so that could limit her on how much she can ask also. We make her pay for extra dance classes/costumes, entertainment,etc... so I thought this would be a good opportunity for her. I am hoping I can guide her more than I was as a teen babysitter.

Kelly
Do you have a local Girl Scout chapter? They do a babysitter certification class her for boys and girls ages 11 and up that want to learn about how to be a great babysitter. CPR and first aide is included.
SquirrellyMama 02:44 PM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you have a local Girl Scout chapter? They do a babysitter certification class her for boys and girls ages 11 and up that want to learn about how to be a great babysitter. CPR and first aide is included.
She took the Red Cross course already. I plan on enrolling her into the online CPR/First Aid to get more knowledge on it though. Before her babysitting jobs we sit down and pack a game bag. The kids have enjoyed her games so far. It has made it more enjoyable for her too. She already has one family she babysit for when they go on dates.

Kelly
Reply Up