Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need advice on a Hitter
Lorna 04:44 PM 10-29-2015
Ok hopefully someone has some advice for me. I have my nephew in my daycare and he hits. Sometimes because he wants something, sometimes no reason, but he hits and hard. He is 2 years old. He started at the daycare when he was about 10 months old. The hitting has been going on for about 8 months at least. He is a very difficult personality. Stubborn, doesn't listen, have to tell him something multiple times. He doesn't really have empathy towards others. Not sure if that is normal for his age.

The child has hit his parents, grandmother, my mother, my daughter. So its not always a play situation. Get excited and whack. Was sitting beside my daughter one day and he was kicking at her she asked him to stop and he reached over and started scratching her very hard. In the winter the mom had admitted he was hitting them they weren't doing anything. I responded that I knew that was what was going on because he wouldn't just hit for no reason.

So today he hit a child. So close to her eye. I took a picture so she could see. The kids had just finished snack and was wiping them and sending them in the playroom one at a time. It was in a span of a minute that it happened. She has swelling on her face and a white mark where it looks like his hand hit her. I immediately put him in a timeout and very sternly told him there is no hitting. Exactly what I do each time.

So when he was picked up I showed my niece the picture. Told her she needed to figure out how to correct the behaviour. Read, consult with the local child development people in town. She denied that he is still hitting, says that he isn't rough housing with his father anymore. Says he only is hitting at the daycare. I reminded her that he had hit my mom not even a month ago, denied admitting to me before that he was hitting and they were allowing it. I remembered after she left that she had told me that he had hit her. She was sitting on the floor and he just walked up and really hit her with an object.

She ended up completely pissed with me because I think this is because of their parenting. She told me it very offensive that I am questioning her parenting. I don't know. I have never had a child in the daycare or any of my own children hit more than once or twice. I expect most kids to hit a few times. But this just doesn't seem to be improving. Since he is 2 its 2 more years til he goes to school. I honestly don't think I can do that. They also plan on having another child.

This is a really terrible situation. I love him to death but yikes.
Michael 11:22 PM 10-29-2015
More threads on hitting: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=hitting
Lorna 06:18 AM 10-30-2015
Yep guess its a problem that has been posted alot. Most of those posts say terminate. I guess the problem kinda solved itself. She said she wouldn't bring him back.
Tags:hitting
Reply Up