Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>close call with illness policy
small_steps 10:44 AM 04-26-2012
Ok...so my illness policy states that children must be symptom free for 24 hours before returning to daycare. DCB gets sent home yesterday at about 8:30 for vomiting. He had already thrown up once that morning but mom said she had thought maybe he ate too much of a certain food the night before.
Anyway they brought him today but I told her sorry...it's 24 hours symptom free. Well she said he only threw up once more on the way home from daycare so around 9 maybe and then slept for the next four hours.

So really would the 24 hours be up about 9? I told her since he slept another four hours he was obviously still sick but that's such a close call and a hard call to make. She was ok with him going home but was I wrong? Technically throwing up is a symptom but is sleeping off the bug one too??
MrsB 10:51 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Ok...so my illness policy states that children must be symptom free for 24 hours before returning to daycare. DCB gets sent home yesterday at about 8:30 for vomiting. He had already thrown up once that morning but mom said she had thought maybe he ate too much of a certain food the night before.
Anyway they brought him today but I told her sorry...it's 24 hours symptom free. Well she said he only threw up once more on the way home from daycare so around 9 maybe and then slept for the next four hours.

So really would the 24 hours be up about 9? I told her since he slept another four hours he was obviously still sick but that's such a close call and a hard call to make. She was ok with him going home but was I wrong? Technically throwing up is a symptom but is sleeping off the bug one too??
I dont think you are wrong, I had this happen to me before too. Its hard to know where to draw the line sometimes. What I have found is that parents seem to exagerate (sp?) the times of the symptoms. So I changed my sick policy, if you have to leave daycare for being sick, then they HAVE to miss the next day. Parents will tend to keep them home rather than trying to sneak them in.

Start sending home a report like the one i just posted in a new thread called "sickie report"
Texasjeepgirl 11:44 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I dont think you are wrong, I had this happen to me before too. Its hard to know where to draw the line sometimes. What I have found is that parents seem to exagerate (sp?) the times of the symptoms. So I changed my sick policy, if you have to leave daycare for being sick, then they HAVE to miss the next day. Parents will tend to keep them home rather than trying to sneak them in.

Start sending home a report like the one i just posted in a new thread called "sickie report"
I have same policy..
If a child leaves daycare with TEMP... THROWING UP or diarhea...they AUTOMATICALLY can NOT RETURN the following day... that cuts down on that 'well it was 9 a.m.' ...etc...

MarinaVanessa 12:19 PM 04-26-2012
I do this too but with different time restrictions. If they keep their child home for being sick they stay home for 24 hours after symptoms go away. If I have to send a sick child home then the 24 hours changes to a mandatory 48. Havn't had a sick child dumped off on me since I started this policy.
small_steps 12:30 PM 04-26-2012
Thanks ya'll! I'm going to implement that they must be out the next day if they are sent home sick. I may even do the 48 hour thing if I send home because dcm did know that he was sick before she brought him. She said she thought it was maybe something he ate but I could tell just by his mood that he didn't feel well.
Reply Up