Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop in DCG is a Prize
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:47 PM 04-15-2013
Drop in girl 5yrs almost 6 has been fine all day until a girl the same age left early and now she has been crying for the last 2 hours.

I asked her why she is crying, she said cause I wont give her medicine. AKA Tylenol! Its in her bag. Mom said nothing about it this morning.

Now she is screaming at me and saying that she is telling her mom that she had a bad day and she never wants to come here again.

What am I supposed to do?
Cradle2crayons 03:06 PM 04-15-2013
First, I would contact the mother and remind her about policies relating to medicines. Personally I would want to know if there are meds in diaper bags. What if a child got a hold of that? Why does the child think she needs Tylenol?

Is she tired? Maybe just say "I know you are upset right now, but well get this worked out together" and attempt to do that. I'm sorry maybe you have already tried that?

If all else fails, maybe she just wants to talk to her mom?
Play Care 03:11 PM 04-15-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
First, I would contact the mother and remind her about policies relating to medicines. Personally I would want to know if there are meds in diaper bags. What if a child got a hold of that? Why does the child think she needs Tylenol?

Is she tired? Maybe just say "I know you are upset right now, but well get this worked out together" and attempt to do that. I'm sorry maybe you have already tried that?

If all else fails, maybe she just wants to talk to her mom?
I agree with this, but I probably would let mom know what the behavior has been like and why (the other child leaving) if you do call.
"She was having a great morning without issues and then became upset after Susie left." I do sometimes think parents tell the kids they will go to day care and be with their friends which obviously doesn't always work out.
Starburst 08:03 PM 04-15-2013
I would have told DCG "if you never come back again, you won't get to play with Suzie anymore because she will still come here and you will be at a new daycare." and probably add "Mommy didn't tell me you needed to take medicine or that you had medicine, next time you need to tell me in case mom forgets."

And like the others said, you should remind DCM of your medication policies. I personally would prefer if the parent told me upfront if their child needed medication and did not just put it in the child's bag because if licensing came and for some reason found it and it was in the child's reach they make think the child took it from your lower cabinets and you could get cited for not putting medications/poisons up high enough.
Lyss 09:44 PM 04-15-2013
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
Drop in girl 5yrs almost 6 has been fine all day until a girl the same age left early and now she has been crying for the last 2 hours.

I asked her why she is crying, she said cause I wont give her medicine. AKA Tylenol! Its in her bag. Mom said nothing about it this morning.

Now she is screaming at me and saying that she is telling her mom that she had a bad day and she never wants to come here again.

What am I supposed to do?
How did pickup go?

I have a DCB that always has Tylenol in his bag (I keep bags in a closet with child locks), mom will give it to him at the drop of a hat but I refuse unless she signs medication form in the am and even then I don't always administer it. DCB used to tell me at naptime he needed his "medicine to sleep good"
momofboys 05:36 AM 04-16-2013
I probably would have texted the mom & asked why the DCG wanted Tylenol b/c she seemed fine to you. How did pick-up go?
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:24 AM 04-16-2013
DCG continued for over 2 hours. To the point that she was screaming in my face and kicking my doors.
Demanded that I drive her to see her mom, called me a stupid babysitter, screamed at the other kids and screamed at me when other parents were here to pick up their own kids.

I called mom, no answer.

At pick up I told mom what was going on and she was beyond angry with her daughter.

I asked what the Tylenol was for, it was for just in case she had a fever or something.

I told mom that she is no longer welcome to come here. Mom just lost her back up daycare because of her child.

I am not going to get in the habit of letting kids call parents just because. I knew what she was trying to do.
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:26 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I agree with this, but I probably would let mom know what the behavior has been like and why (the other child leaving) if you do call.
"She was having a great morning without issues and then became upset after Susie left." I do sometimes think parents tell the kids they will go to day care and be with their friends which obviously doesn't always work out.
That is what I told mom. She said to DCG that its the way things go and you need to apologize.
mnemom 11:29 AM 04-16-2013
WOW... I am glad that the mom follloowed thru with her daughter. That makes a world of difference.
Reply Up