Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids That Just STARE At You
Unregistered 04:53 AM 11-20-2013
Is it just me, or do any of you have daycare kids that just sit there and STARE at you all day long as if you have 5 heads?
Lianne 05:00 AM 11-20-2013
Ha. I have a couple of those kids in care right now. I always seem to have at least one. I *hate* being stared at so I'm always telling them to go find something to do. In my head I'm yelling "Stop staring at me, it's creepy!"
Unregistered 05:21 AM 11-20-2013
Then when I tell them to get a toy and go play, they just cry at me! I just don't understand!
Unregistered 05:24 AM 11-20-2013
A while ago, I had a little girl around 3 years old. She just sat at the table with her arms folded on top of the table, chin down to her chest and stared at you out of the top of her eyes. My personal kids who were teenagers said that the girl creeped them out and that she made them think of someone who would be a serial killer! - that is a bit over the top, but if she was grown doing that, people would be quite nervous around her!
Play Care 05:33 AM 11-20-2013
My kids are usually too busy playing to stare - BUT during quiet time I start out sitting in the nap room with them to settle. One of my 4 yo's is always staring at me. I usually ask that he turn over and close his eyes, and he does.
Unregistered 05:45 AM 11-20-2013
I keep my kids busy. We do circle time, hands on activities, preschool papers, arts and crafts, etc. But I often get kids that will not participate and will just stare at me. And of course during play time, they just stare at me.

I'm assuming that the kids that do that are not comfortable around people, haven't been socialized much, etc. But it's just weird! I have been in daycare for over 10 years and started getting kids like this in the past year. I never had kids like this before about a year ago. In the past year (approximately a year's time), I have had a handful of kids like this. The kids are from different families, and ages range from 1 - 4 years old. I just haven't experienced this before.

I try to get them to play - if I give them a toy, they cry! If I call them to the group, they won't budge, if I sit by them and try to get them to play or do arts and crafts, or whatever activity we are doing, they just stare at me. I just don't understand.
cheerfuldom 09:04 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I keep my kids busy. We do circle time, hands on activities, preschool papers, arts and crafts, etc. But I often get kids that will not participate and will just stare at me. And of course during play time, they just stare at me.

I'm assuming that the kids that do that are not comfortable around people, haven't been socialized much, etc. But it's just weird! I have been in daycare for over 10 years and started getting kids like this in the past year. I never had kids like this before about a year ago. In the past year (approximately a year's time), I have had a handful of kids like this. The kids are from different families, and ages range from 1 - 4 years old. I just haven't experienced this before.

I try to get them to play - if I give them a toy, they cry! If I call them to the group, they won't budge, if I sit by them and try to get them to play or do arts and crafts, or whatever activity we are doing, they just stare at me. I just don't understand.
I have run into a couple kids like this and like you, never really had this issue til the past year. One was horribly undersocialized to the point where I dont know that she left the house really at all and she was four. Stayed at home with a nanny and a special needs brother.
Hunni Bee 12:12 PM 11-20-2013
OD on screens.

What do you do with a screen? You stare at it.

You are basically just a tv show to them. Probably most other people they see are on a tv show or a DVD.

Its a combination of undersocialization and constant screen time.
Granwannabe 02:28 PM 11-20-2013
Hi everyone. First post. (I think, bad memory)
I have 40 years experience in child care (started babysitting my nieces and nephews when I was 13) and have raised four children of my own. I sent the last one off to college a few months ago.

I just found out I'm going to be a Grandma for the first time and I'm over the moon!

As far as the staring child, I've had a few like that. My advice is engage, engage, engage! Speak looking directly at them, ask them questions so they have to respond. Make them laugh. A Peek a boo works even on older kids.
It is quite possible all they do at home is watch tv/play video games/computer.

I would start saying things like, wow____, what are you thinking about? You must be really smart, you sure think a lot! Turn it into a positive. It may take awhile, but they should stop staring and start communicating at some point.

Most my dck's at one time or another stare at me like I have three heads, because Im usually being silly-dancing around, cracking goofy jokes, anything to lighten the mood. The older ones will usually groan, but come back years later when they're 20 and say, remember that time you put grass skirts on us and we hula danced? Good times, good times. lol At the time its happening, you really don't know the impact you are making on these kids lives, but I know from experience, even the part-timers here a couple hours a week remember how much fun they had here.
Unregistered 03:35 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is it just me, or do any of you have daycare kids that just sit there and STARE at you all day long as if you have 5 heads?
I once had a very neglected little boy in my care that stood in ONE spot and stared at me the whole time unless I moved him, and even then, he'd go back to his spot. He was very disengaged and very sad for a 1 year old. It ended up a CPS case, and mom was mad and don't know what happened to him. She removed him the same day she got her visit. Poor child
jenn 04:10 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
OD on screens.

What do you do with a screen? You stare at it.

You are basically just a tv show to them. Probably most other people they see are on a tv show or a DVD.

Its a combination of undersocialization and constant screen time.
I used to have a boy that would stare a lot. I would tell him to "Go play toys" and he would go get a toy, sit down with it, and stare at me. At home, he constantly watched TV or played video games, and the shows/games were not always age appropriate. I figured I must be like a reality show to him, "Watch and see what the crazy daycare lady does next". It was probably a really boring show!
lflick 05:45 PM 11-20-2013
I can relate 110% with you on this one! It drives me absolutely batty tbh.... No matter what I do it doesn't seem to help... "let's play with this, that, or that", "please go play with your toys/friends", one one one time to initiate ideas for free play, everything.... I have come to deduce said child(ren) have a ton of TV time.... I particularly have difficulty with two sibs.... younger one is having a very difficult time with older sib going to headstart a few mornings a week.... no matter what is done there are many random "breakdowns" and crying for mom... and I kid you not almost all day I have to reassure her mom is coming back.... It is very frustrating as all the time her sib is gone she is very sad and will not play with anything/anyone... just stares and will start to cry .... multiple times.. When sib returns from HS she improves slightly; however, continues to make statements (with a ready to cry lip quiver and voice shake) about mommy working, etc.... When her sib is here there is a LOT of "personal space" interaction... such as what I feel to be excessive hugging, pampering, kissing..... it has been a challenge to say the least. The older sib is also notorious for staring.... she constantly gravitates towards the family room as if she expects to see cartoons.
Sunshine74 08:43 PM 11-20-2013
Yes, I've had a couple of DCK's who do this. I never noticed it when I worked with the preschoolers (ages 3-5) but since I've been with the 2's since January, I have. One DCB would just stand behind a shelf so that only his eyes and above were showing and just stare. He would do it all day if we let him. It took us a long time to get him to play- starting with physically putting a toy in his hand so that he was at least holding it. Then a couple of the other children kind of took him under their wing and he's improved so much. I am pretty sure his issue was extreme shyness/timidness. DCM is very shy too.

We have a couple others who will stare, but not on a consistent basis like that. One will when he is supposed to be sleeping. He will just prop his head up with his hand and watch the room like it is a TV show.

But what really gets me is when they stare at you while doing something they know they are not supposed to be doing. Just to make sure you are watching.
Unregistered 08:55 PM 11-20-2013
I never thought of it, but now that you guys mention it, it is as if they are staring at the television. WOW!! That is so strange and sad of a concept to realize.
Play Care 03:13 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Granwannabe:
As far as the staring child, I've had a few like that. My advice is engage, engage, engage! Speak looking directly at them, ask them questions so they have to respond. Make them laugh. A Peek a boo works even on older kids.
It is quite possible all they do at home is watch tv/play video games/computer.

I would start saying things like, wow____, what are you thinking about? You must be really smart, you sure think a lot! Turn it into a positive. It may take awhile, but they should stop staring and start communicating at some point.

I think many of us do those things. I know I do...the issue becomes when we are doing all those things and the child is still STARING. Or it's nap time and the time to be silly is over (for now )
Tags:odd behavior, stare
Reply Up