Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Asked A Prospective DCM...
Shell 10:02 AM 05-12-2014
How much they paid for child care with their old provider? Is this totally tacky?

I have an interested 3.5 yr old dcg. Her current provider is moving out of state, and I am very excited about the prospect of another, older child. I have mentioned in the past that almost every child in my state (it feels like) goes to preschool at 3, so it's so hard to get a child this age.
I know lots of providers on here charge what they charge, and that's that. I charge prime rates for infants and toddlers, but preschoolers, I have a little more wiggle room with. Is it ok to ask? Thanks for any advice.
Mom o Col 10:22 AM 05-12-2014
I would probably not ask that for a few reasons: 1. She may low ball her answer in order to get a low rate from you. 2. She may have been charged less by the previous provider and now expect the same from you. 3. I would do some research to find out the rates that are average in your area.
wdmmom 10:25 AM 05-12-2014
I usually ask families what their daycare schedule was if they are coming from a provider or center.

I charge based on departure time so the earlier the child leaves, the cheaper it is. The later the pick up, the more they pay.

The group I have now has been here since birth except for 2. The one that came from another provider left because she didn't take infants and they expanded their family. The other paid $10 more per month than I charge.
renodeb 01:03 PM 05-12-2014
I have asked but only in certain situations. I dont think its tacky per say.esp if they come form a dc center.
Deb
Reply Up