Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Philosophy on Activities
TwinMama 07:59 AM 01-19-2016
Do you all feel it's necessary to do a bunch of art projects and activities every day, or do you just interact with the kids during free play?

I try to do different sensory activities, puzzle time, art projects, etc. Some days it gets a little wearing especially when I don't have my calendar updated and I'm scrambling for an activity, but the kids enjoy it and it changes things up.

I know I'm not a teacher, but they seem to learn. I just don't want to get burnt out. DH keeps telling me that it's awesome and he's totally supportive but that it's my job to keep them safe not make them geniuses.
Thriftylady 08:03 AM 01-19-2016
I do "light" activities. I do some preschool, some arts and crafts type stuff. But we do a ton of "go play toys". They learn from everything they do. While I do want them to be prepared for kindy (they seem to expect a lot of the kiddos here), I don't want to burn them out on school.
NoMoreJuice! 08:04 AM 01-19-2016
What makes you think you're not a teacher? You are teaching them every second they're in your care. You teach them manners, how to use a fork, how to blow their nose, how to share and how to treat their friends, colors, shapes, etc...

You're doing great...just keep exposing them to puzzles. Keep reading to them and enunciating sounds. That's teaching.
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 01-19-2016
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
Do you all feel it's necessary to do a bunch of art projects and activities every day, or do you just interact with the kids during free play?

I try to do different sensory activities, puzzle time, art projects, etc. Some days it gets a little wearing especially when I don't have my calendar updated and I'm scrambling for an activity, but the kids enjoy it and it changes things up.

I know I'm not a teacher, but they seem to learn. I just don't want to get burnt out. DH keeps telling me that it's awesome and he's totally supportive but that it's my job to keep them safe not make them geniuses.

"I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn."
~ Albert Einstein

I provide the activities and materials. I set up the environment so that the kids can do their job....which is to play.

I do not instruct, play or involve myself regularly.
I am merely here to supervise, assist and intercede when necessary.

Another favorite:

"The environment must be rich in motives which lend interest to activity and invite the child to conduct his own experiments" ~ Maria Montessori

If the environment is set up correctly, you as the provider will need to do very little.
Pepperth 08:14 AM 01-19-2016
Mostly we do play. I will do a few light activities to keep away the boredom for me and because the kids enjoy it. We read, read, read a lot.
Unregistered 08:17 AM 01-19-2016
My view on arts and crafts:

http://www.naeyc.org/tyc/article/pro...rt-experiences

Mostly they learn through free play and me talking with them as they play. I've tried to set up the daycare environment in a way that promotes learning. In the year before school, I get more intentional about coming up with activities to support any gaps in the things they still need to know.
Lovisa 08:21 AM 01-19-2016
With my almost 4 year old, I try to do some worksheets a few times a week (tracing pages to teach how to write numbers and letters, learning shapes, understanding different sizes of objects, etc). I also started a name journal where he writes his name every day (he is still learning) and I keep them in order and paste them in a book so once he fills up the book I can give it to the parents and they can see his progress. I think it's a nice little keepsake I also try to do a craft once or twice a week and of course we paint or color most days.

For the smaller kiddos, I just make sure they have lots of stuff to play with. And I read several books a day to all the kids.
midaycare 09:18 AM 01-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

"I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn."
~ Albert Einstein

I provide the activities and materials. I set up the environment so that the kids can do their job....which is to play.

Another favorite:

"The environment must be rich in motives which lend interest to activity and invite the child to conduct his own experiments" ~ Maria Montessori

If the environment is set up correctly, you as the provider will need to do very little.
I spend a lot of time on the environment. I teach a watered down version of preschool for 2 and 3 year olds. We do a craft almost daily, but they are not all guided by me.

I also do a lot of "go play".
Josiegirl 09:53 AM 01-19-2016
I only do crafts because they're mostly parent pleasers and I need those kinds of things decorating the walls. They love open-ended art; just give them materials and let them have at it.
I have a very flexible schedule here and we work around meals and nap time. Everything else depends on the mood they're in. Counting numbers, color and shape recognition, those types of things are always going on. I don't push them into letters until they show an interest. If they haven't started by say 4 yo then every time I read a book I'll ask if anyone can find an A in the title, just a very informal start. I don't want to turn them off from learning. Or we'll see whose name starts with the J sound, then can you think of any other words that start the same way, that type of learning. Learning comes with most everything we do with them I believe. We have balloons taped all over the ceiling today for a birthday so we've spent lots of time counting the pink balloons or the green ones.

I don't do a lot of play guidance, only if they seem to need it. Just adding something different to the block corner or some large cardboard tubes to the car area... the kids will pick up on it and run with new ideas. And isn't that what building a children's mind is all about. Give them a base from which to create.
KSDC 09:54 AM 01-19-2016
We do one table-time activity every day as part of the routine. I vary what I put out: coloring, play dough, cutting and gluing, painting. Oftentimes this activity is associated with a letter of the week theme.

The children usually spend 10-15 minutes at this activity.
The rest of the day is devoted to "free play". The children choose their toys and how to pretend with them. I just supervise and keep them safe.
TwinMama 06:24 PM 01-19-2016

~ Albert Einstein

Another favorite:

How do you have your area set up? I would love to know how to organize things a bit better or to have "stations" of some sort.

My play area is clean and organized but the kids are all over.
Unregistered 06:59 PM 01-19-2016
Also, you have to realize what is considered an activity. When you put out a big set of blocks on a rug- that's an activity. A perfectly, developmentally appropriate activity for young children from which they will learn and develop in many ways. They will develop fine motor- using hands and fingers, they will develop creativity- deciding what they will build and how, they are learning cooperation by sharing the blocks and turn taking and language skills as they communicate (even nonverbally) with the other children about the blocks, on and on and on. An art activity with just piles of scrap paper and glue sticks is great. That is developing many other areas and is great for self confidence and self esteem if you do t ask them to do it in any certain way. Then that creation can be hung on the wall. To make it pretty, stick it to a piece of colored construction paper and get a short quote from the child- ask them 'tell me about this' not what is it or is this a cat or what ever. Just ask 'tell me about this' then write it with a permanent marker on a separate sheet (don't defile their art) and hang it up below the art. It will be lovely and real and child directed.
nannyde 04:02 AM 01-20-2016
My philosophy: Go play toys!
racemom 05:10 AM 01-20-2016
I do an activity everyday. Something very simple, based on weekly theme. This week is owls. We colored an owl picture, dot painted an o for owl page, today we will make an owl mask. But it very simple. Most of our day is playing, but when they start whining or fighting over toys, I mix it up with activity time, singing, group play or story time.
Blackcat31 05:29 AM 01-20-2016
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
How do you have your area set up? I would love to know how to organize things a bit better or to have "stations" of some sort.

My play area is clean and organized but the kids are all over.
I am in a unique situation where I own a separate house just for daycare. Each room is designated for a specific age group and/or activity. I don't live here so I dont have the constant struggle between my personal things and daycare things so that helps a ton!

My house is set up so that the kitchen/dining area is the center hub of the facility. Off the kitchen/dining area is the living room (our large group room), the bathroom, a bedroom (preschool room) and a second larger bedroom (infant/toddler room) as well as a coat or entry room.

I have a reading/quiet area, a large play area, a kitchen center area and a science/math area set up in each room. Each area is nothing fancy, just whatever toys are needed/required for that activity. Like previous poster said.... putting blocks out on a large rug is an "activity" or "center".

I move things around depending on what activity they are playing in. When they want to play with the animals and get the barn or zoo out, we usually slide the book shelf over towards the wall and allow them to have more floor space. If only a few kids want to play and others are playing in the kitchen area, I will leave the book case but will slide the Little Tikes climber over to the corner so there is more room for two centers to be played in.

For me, even having an entire house for this is still hard to organize, store and arrange but I try to make sure that I just have floor space and movable pieces of furniture so that I can arrange according to needs as well as move easily when bored and needing a change.

HTH
Blackcat31 05:39 AM 01-20-2016
Oh and the easiest way to not have too many kids in one area is to limit the number of kids allowed in each center/area.

I set out 3-4 choices every day (I use picture cards so the kids know what centers are open and available that day) and I only allow 2-4 kids to play in each group.

The kids choose an activity and once all the "spots" in a certain activity are gone they have to choose an alternate activity and play there until a space open in the other activity.

I sometimes set the timer so that no one can change activities until the timer has gone off. I do this to teach the kids to be responsible in their choice and so that they aren't just making a game of moving back and forth from one center to another just because....kwim?
Ariana 09:29 AM 01-20-2016

~ Albert Einstein

Another favorite:

All of this! Interaction should be about quality not quantity. I measure success by how little the kids need me throughout the day. I set up materials that they can access and with some help for new kids they start to learn that I trust them and their abilities. I change up the toys every two weeks and put some away where they cannot access them just to bring variety into the program and play.

I have two large shelves with baskets that they can pull out. On top of this shelf .i have art supplies that they can access. I have a train table that either has table top toys or a dollhouse or a train set, or a rocket ship etc. The train table is my main focus. There is a lego table where they can play with whatever they want and lego and there is another table for art or whatever else they may want to set up. In a seperate area I have the kitchen, a tent and puzzles.
Reply Up