Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is There A Problem Or What Can It Be
countrymom 08:10 AM 04-12-2012
I have 3 dck's and they are all 15months old. The 2 dcg's are beyond advance. But the dcb, well...

he doesn't walk
doesn't say anything (just smiles or makes and "0" with his mouth)
doesn't play with toys, but will only open door/drawers
eats pureed food, but will eat crackers
he's the right size for a 15 month old
he sits and smiles but cries alot
I noticed that when he stands he is on his tiptoes

I think something is wrong, but mom says that he has a friend who walked late, but he doesnt want to walk at all, he will stand and hold onto furniture, but its rare. The thing that worries me is that I have other kids that are his age and he's no where near them, to me, he's really really behind, the dcg's climb into chairs all the time, he has no idea what your suppose to do, heck he's not even interested in what they do.
daycare 08:40 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have 3 dck's and they are all 15months old. The 2 dcg's are beyond advance. But the dcb, well...

he doesn't walk
doesn't say anything (just smiles or makes and "0" with his mouth)
doesn't play with toys, but will only open door/drawers
eats pureed food, but will eat crackers
he's the right size for a 15 month old
he sits and smiles but cries alot
I noticed that when he stands he is on his tiptoes

I think something is wrong, but mom says that he has a friend who walked late, but he doesnt want to walk at all, he will stand and hold onto furniture, but its rare. The thing that worries me is that I have other kids that are his age and he's no where near them, to me, he's really really behind, the dcg's climb into chairs all the time, he has no idea what your suppose to do, heck he's not even interested in what they do.
are the other kids girls??
safechner 08:41 AM 04-12-2012
More likely he might have autism. I have a friend's son was like that when he was a little boy. It was too early to tell right now. I would give another year to see he is still behind. I wouldn't worried about that but it is mother's responsibly to find out on her own unless it is very serious.

My daughter has diagnosed PDDNOS at 3 years old when I knew something was not right. She was fine before she becomes 3 years old like she uses sign language a lot, social skills very well, play a lot of toys, etc. I noticed something changed after she was 3 years old. She wasn't talk to me like she used to, play alone, and use truck toys back and forward a lot right by the window, and stay away from the kids that she wouldn't play with.
cheerfuldom 08:43 AM 04-12-2012
Does he stand unassisted?
countrymom 09:44 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Does he stand unassisted?
nope, I think there is something wrong with his muscle tone. But also, he likes to throw toys, and sit and look out the window. Now I have a ds and he's number 3 in my group of kids (he has 3 sisters) and he was never like this. I've had alot of boys, who were way beyond their age so I don't go for the "boys are always slower than girls" My problem also is that when he comes all day (he usually comes after lunch) we can't go outside, because he doesn't like the grass, and my deck wrapps around the house, so he's going to get slivers in his hands. And I refuse to carry him around.
MrsB 10:13 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
nope, I think there is something wrong with his muscle tone. But also, he likes to throw toys, and sit and look out the window. Now I have a ds and he's number 3 in my group of kids (he has 3 sisters) and he was never like this. I've had alot of boys, who were way beyond their age so I don't go for the "boys are always slower than girls" My problem also is that when he comes all day (he usually comes after lunch) we can't go outside, because he doesn't like the grass, and my deck wrapps around the house, so he's going to get slivers in his hands. And I refuse to carry him around.
I have alot of experience with special needs kids, and I would definately say that he needs to be evaluated. This is an area of which I am very passionate about. So many providers are seeing all these warning signs for kids and relaying the information to the parents but there is not alot of providers information/concerns being relayed to the doctors who are usually the ones that refer for evaluation. I just dont get how some of these doctors dont see some of this stuff, but that is a whole other topic. Anyway, on one occasion about 7 years ago I had a child that was very delayed, with some of the same things that you stated. I ended up having to tell mom that he was not able to keep up and do the same activities as the group and that she could either have him evaluated and then we could all work together to see what we could do to get him to be able to be successful at daycare or she would have to find another provider.

I felt horrible like I was saying that I couldnt handle him, but on the other hand I can't do special unless I know what I am dealing with and that we have a plan in place to get him to where he can be part of the group.

Just on a side note, my daughter was delayed in her gross motor skills and qualified for services, and started to walk at 16 months with a physical therapist since she was 10 months. So for him not to stand unassisted at 15 months is quite a significant delay.
cheerfuldom 10:22 AM 04-12-2012
I would approach the parents with your concerns but do NOT give any sort of opinion about things like special needs, autism and other diagnosis. You arent a trained professional. He should have an appointment at 18 months so they might be waiting for that and hoping that he all of a sudden catches up. Just be careful about what you say. Normally, nothing happens until the parents see for themselves that their child is delayed and it will have more impact usually if it comes from a doctor. Unfortunately they might see any comments you give as being critical or judgemental. I have one special needs kiddo here and I really said very little because I knew the parents were not receptive. Finally at the 18 month appointment, the doctor could clearly see that this little one was way behind and parents have since been on board with various therapies.
cheerfuldom 10:23 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I have alot of experience with special needs kids, and I would definately say that he needs to be evaluated. This is an area of which I am very passionate about. So many providers are seeing all these warning signs for kids and relaying the information to the parents but there is not alot of providers information/concerns being relayed to the doctors who are usually the ones that refer for evaluation. I just dont get how some of these doctors dont see some of this stuff, but that is a whole other topic. Anyway, on one occasion about 7 years ago I had a child that was very delayed, with some of the same things that you stated. I ended up having to tell mom that he was not able to keep up and do the same activities as the group and that she could either have him evaluated and then we could all work together to see what we could do to get him to be able to be successful at daycare or she would have to find another provider.

I felt horrible like I was saying that I couldnt handle him, but on the other hand I can't do special unless I know what I am dealing with and that we have a plan in place to get him to where he can be part of the group.

Just on a side note, my daughter was delayed in her gross motor skills and qualified for services, and started to walk at 16 months with a physical therapist since she was 10 months. So for him not to stand unassisted at 15 months is quite a significant delay.
yes, that was my point. its obvious that something IS wrong here.
countrymom 06:39 AM 04-13-2012
I haven't said anything, except for the walking, I also noticed that his foot was turning outward, but then I found it was the shoes, so he has new shoes, but still nothing. they say that he has walked a couple of steps by himself, but seriously I really doubt it. If he pulls himself up onto a table, he will walk around it, but even reaching for a couch (because you have to let go) is a no go. I'm hoping that when he goes in for a check up that the dr. will see something, but like alot of drs' unless as a parent you persue it, the dr's won't do anything. If I can figure out what is wrong then I can help, but when I don't know what is wrong its hard to help him.
Reply Up