Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Chicken Pox
LittleD 02:34 PM 04-16-2012
My one dcb, 2, was leaving tonight when dad noticed 6 spits on dcb tummy, 2 on forehead, and I noticed 2 on his hand. He had a good day, no fever he was totally normal. Its to early for mosquito's, and he is the only one with them. Pretty sure he had the vaccine. Could it be chicken pox, or something else? I have 2 other kids here who never had it or vaccine,, should I exclude him even tho everyone has been exposed?
Kaddidle Care 03:13 PM 04-16-2012
It could be chicken pox even if vaccinated. They usually get a lighter case. See if they spread and if they do, he needs to go to a Dr. for diagnosis.

If I recall correctly, you are exposed 2-3 days prior to outbreak so yeah - if it's the pox, you all have been exposed. That's the rotten thing about them. You've already infected folks before you know you have it.

At this point the main worry for the child is infection of the pox spots because he will scratch.

I had them at 38 and I can tell you, it sure wasn't fun. Kids are more resilient.
saved4always 03:22 PM 04-16-2012
It can be the chicken pox even if he has been vaccinated. My middle son got a very mild case when he was younger. I took him to the doctor and was surprised when he said it was chicken pox because he'd had the vaccine. He did have a much milder case than his older brother had before the vaccine was available. My older one gave it to my then 19 yo brother....and my brother got really sick. I felt bad that my son gave it to him.

My rule for chicken pox was that a child could not come to childcare until all the lesions had dried and crusted. Even though the chicken pox are not usually deadly, there are cases where children have developed complications so I would not expose the rest of the kids any further and would exclude the child until he has crusted over on all his lesions.
LittleD 03:40 PM 04-16-2012
That was my first instinct, not to allow him back, but many health agencies say as long as they are not to sick and can function normally they shouldn't be excluded from school/daycare. But like I said, I have a 1 yr old who hasn't had the vaccine yet, and a 5yr old, who has never had the vaccine or chicken pox. In the case of the baby, just because she had been exposed to him, doesn't mean she'll get it, but I keep exposing her, her chances will increase. Doesn't seem fair to them.

Still haven't heard from the dad yet. Told him to give him a bath, and watch to see if more pop up after that. That's how I knew my kids had it. They'd have a few spots, have a bath, then they just seemed to multiply directly after the bath.
saved4always 03:49 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
That was my first instinct, not to allow him back, but many health agencies say as long as they are not to sick and can function normally they shouldn't be excluded from school/daycare. But like I said, I have a 1 yr old who hasn't had the vaccine yet, and a 5yr old, who has never had the vaccine or chicken pox. In the case of the baby, just because she had been exposed to him, doesn't mean she'll get it, but I keep exposing her, her chances will increase. Doesn't seem fair to them.

Still haven't heard from the dad yet. Told him to give him a bath, and watch to see if more pop up after that. That's how I knew my kids had it. They'd have a few spots, have a bath, then they just seemed to multiply directly after the bath.
My oldest got them from daycare when he was 4 months old. I was not happy. He wasn't allowed back at daycare til he crusted so I had to have my mom watch him at her house while I worked (the 5 sick days a year on a rolling calendar policy at my work did not allow a parent to stay home for a week long case of chicken pox!). That is how my brother got them...he lived there at the time and had never had them...he wasn't born yet when I brought them home from kindergarten, lol! My mom asked him if he minded his nephew exposing him and my brother, not knowing what he was getting into, said it was okay. Chicken pox at 19 yo is not fun!
Kaddidle Care 03:54 PM 04-16-2012
Yes, the heat brings them out. If it is really chicken pox, a hot bath is a bad idea. EEK! Cool baths, cool showers. I had them in July and ayayay! Tylenol was my best friend - that and the couch!
MrsB 07:24 PM 04-16-2012
My poor mom got them a 2nd time in her 30s 3 weeks before she had my baby sister. It was so aweful. The dr said it was the worse case of CP he had ever seen (he was in his late 70s at the time and been a dr for 40 or so years). She couldnt eat and was loosing weight. They did a throat scope and she had them in her throat and down her windpipe, in between her toes and the bottom of her feet, on her eyelids and in her ears and other places you dont even want to think about! They ended up hospitalizing her for 3 days.

Funny thing about it is when the vaccine came out when my sister was in elementary school. The county health department was doing these CP tests to see if your body had the immunity. Came back she did have the CP immunity but had never had the chicken pox. Dr's say she was probably passed the antibodies in-utero.
LittleD 05:12 AM 04-17-2012
Dad texted me last night, said he didn't have any new spots. Was going to call me today and let me know how he is. I'm going to check him over myself when he gets here, but I've never had to exclude for any type of rash before, and I'm afraid I'm going to get an argument of "it's just bug bites" I read that in mild CP cases, sometimes it's hard to tell until day 2 or 3 for sure if it is CP because there are not many spots. I guess I'll just have to wait and see!
LittleD 05:21 AM 04-17-2012
He just texted, said there are no new spots and the ones he have are clearing up but he's keeping him home. Now I don't have to make the call myself, lol!
saved4always 12:28 PM 04-17-2012
He just texted, said there are no new spots and the ones he have are clearing up but he's keeping him home. Now I don't have to make the call myself, lol!
I'm so glad it worked out that way for you! I always hate being the "bad" guy making the decision to exclude.
Rachel 03:23 AM 04-18-2012
My doctor actually told me chicken pox is one of those viruses that the more they are exposed, the worse the case is. I saw it with my own kids. The first one who brought it home had it very mild. The fourth to get it had it the worst because he was exposed and exposed over and over from his 3 older sisters. Thankfully he still wasn't that sick, but I would still exclude until it's not contagious anymore. I think each of my kids was home about a week, a bit more.
Tags:chicken pox, exclusion
Reply Up