Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Dreaded Question...Do I Have To Pay??
Razzledbrat 07:30 AM 05-23-2013
Gramma is off for the summer and she wants dck one day a week for the summer. Dcm alwayssss tries to get something for free! It is in my contract there is no credit for absent days etc. But this dcm will ask...do I have to pay? I know its coming! I know its in my contract and so does she but she willl ask! Since its for the summer should I make an acception? What would u do? Thanks!!
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 05-23-2013
If it's in the contract then she needs to pay.

If the mom says "Do I have to pay?" I would say, "What does your contract say?"

Or I would simply say, "Yes, I cannot afford to hold a space for the summer so you will either need to pay or your space will not be available in the Fall"

Have a copy of your contract with the section about payment highlighted and give it to her to reread.
itlw8 07:34 AM 05-23-2013
You say Yes if you want your f/t rate you need to pay, but if you want to go to p/t You can then quote a daily rate that adds up to MORE than the f/t rate but is someone wants the f/t opening it might not be here in the fall.

Unless you will end up with NO CHILDREN on that set day each week so you get a weekly day off. then you might cut her a small break.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:35 AM 05-23-2013
I would say yes, you still have to pay. She is paying for a spot in your day care, not per day. YKWIM?

Unless she wants to pay a daily rate then I would up the daily rate. Make it expensive that way, if that's how she wants to play.
Unregistered 07:36 AM 05-23-2013
Well no you do not have to. It just depends if you are okay with me filling his spot while you are away. If you wish to have daycare the week following then yes
littlemissmuffet 07:42 AM 05-23-2013
Why would you make an exception for summer? NO WAY!

I can't stand it when I make my policies clear as day and they still ask for "favors"
wdmmom 07:45 AM 05-23-2013
I would tell her that she needs to pick the same day each week that the dck will be gone with grandma and that payment is due regardless of attendance.
MarinaVanessa 07:47 AM 05-23-2013
My response:

"Oh you're so funny! (chuckling) Of course you have to pay. I charge a flat weekly rate based on enrollment not attendance, you know that! (chuckle some more and start walking away still talking to myself) Clients are so funny sometimes ... they make me laugh ...."
Leigh 08:38 AM 05-23-2013
I'd say "Of course you have to pay if you'd like her to return to full-time in the fall. If I were able to fill your spot for the summer (like a sub-lease), I would drop you to my part time rate. If not, then I'd be forced to fill the spot immediately-I can not go all summer without a part of my income that was already budgeted. Please let me know by Friday if you intend to pay for her slot over the summer, because if you don't, I need to start interviewing people from my waiting list this weekend for your full-time slot."
TheGoodLife 09:32 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Razzledbrat:
Gramma is off for the summer and she wants dck one day a week for the summer. Dcm alwayssss tries to get something for free! It is in my contract there is no credit for absent days etc. But this dcm will ask...do I have to pay? I know its coming! I know its in my contract and so does she but she willl ask! Since its for the summer should I make an acception? What would u do? Thanks!!
Do you offer PT or daily rates? You could tell her what you offer, but explain that it doesn't guarantee a spot is available later (my contract says I can replace a PT spot for a FT person). If she wants to keep her FT spot, I'd say no to letting her just not pay for that one day a week.
e.j. 12:03 PM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Razzledbrat:
My reaction would be similar to the others: "Only if you want me to guarantee the spot for him for the fall. If you don't need it, I'll be working hard to fill it." If she is "always trying to get something for free" from you, allowing her not to pay for the day off in the summer will be her green light to continue asking.
AmyKidsCo 12:49 PM 05-23-2013
I had a mom ask almost the same thing - Grandma wants him one day a week, but if mom can find another child to take his spot that day could she have a reduced rate. For me, anything 25 hours or more is Full Time and charged by the week, so even with him out a full day he'd still be contracted for 32 hours so it would still be Full Time. I also told her that I don't generally take children for just 1 day a week because it's so hard for them to adjust and the extra paperwork, laundry, etc, hardly makes it worthwhile.
Reply Up