Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quote from a mom at my interview today
Lucy 07:32 PM 08-27-2014
She's starting a new job as a preschool teacher. I asked what age, and she said 4 yr olds. She said she didn't want 2 yr olds because she "wanted to TEACH, not just BABYSIT".

The "babysit" was said with a scowl. I just breezed right past it, but was thinking to myself, "Know your audience, lady! I AM just a BABYSITTER!!"

She didn't even appear as if she realized what she had just said and was embarrassed. She just kept on talking.

daycare 07:37 PM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
She's starting a new job as a preschool teacher. I asked what age, and she said 4 yr olds. She said she didn't want 2 yr olds because she "wanted to TEACH, not just BABYSIT".

The "babysit" was said with a scowl. I just breezed right past it, but was thinking to myself, "Know your audience, lady! I AM just a BABYSITTER!!"

She didn't even appear as if she realized what she had just said and was embarrassed. She just kept on talking.

hmmmmmm...lol interesting comment..

guess she does not realize that you can teach a child of any age, but do understand that she meant she is more comfortable teaching that age group.

Is she young? I am learning that the way younger people see things, say things and understand things are not quiet like my generation understands them.....
melilley 07:51 PM 08-27-2014
How annoying, doesn't that just p you off?!

One of my dcm's is a preschool teacher. Her older ds came here last year and left to go to a formal preschool and I have her 2 yo ds f/t. Well one day the older ds came to drop off the younger ds and was acting up. (to me, he was acting fine, but this particular dcm thinks that her kids have everything under the sun and need to act perfect or something is "wrong" with them, but that's a whole other story) She turns to him and says "M. stop doing that. You don't want to have to come back here do you"? She's also passively mentioned to the older dcb things like babies go here and things along those lines.

I was so mad after she left!

Of course I'm good enough for her to ask for drop in care for him from time to time.
Unregistered 07:51 PM 08-27-2014
I do not "teach" at any age.

I facilitate learning
NoMoreJuice! 07:52 PM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do not "teach" at any age.

I facilitate learning

Lucy 07:54 PM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
Is she young? I am learning that the way younger people see things, say things and understand things are not quiet like my generation understands them.....
30-32 maybe
cheerfuldom 06:05 AM 08-28-2014
Ha. news flash, A LOT of 4 year olds need "babysitting" too so that will be a fun reality check when she starts teaching. There may be less crying but it is replaced with whining and sassiness. Probably most kids are potty trained but she will still be dealing with plenty of accidents, runny noses, and sick kids. I guarantee there will be some messy eaters in the bunch, sneaky kids, aggressive kids......have fun with that DCM! I'd rather do my small group at home for the same pay as 15-20 preschoolers somewhere else. Most people around here are paid minimum wage for 4 year old care.
Cat Herder 07:44 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Translated loosely to "I want the biggest star on my belly possible for the least amount of work. Someone has to be less than for me to be more than."

(Cool down ECCE'rs... I am referring to college time. Up to 2 years (Pre-k) vs. 4+ years (K-12)
MsLisa 08:08 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Ha. news flash, A LOT of 4 year olds need "babysitting" too so that will be a fun reality check when she starts teaching. There may be less crying but it is replaced with whining and sassiness. Probably most kids are potty trained but she will still be dealing with plenty of accidents, runny noses, and sick kids. I guarantee there will be some messy eaters in the bunch, sneaky kids, aggressive kids......have fun with that DCM! I'd rather do my small group at home for the same pay as 15-20 preschoolers somewhere else. Most people around here are paid minimum wage for 4 year old care.
I know quiet a few adult who could use some "babysitting"...they sound just like this.

Anyway, yeah...my max love of ages is around 7-8. Then they're teenagers trapped in small bodies (*cough* my daughter *cough*)
AmyKidsCo 09:12 AM 08-28-2014
That's the attitude of pretty much everyone around here. FCC is babysitting, group centers are education.
SignMeUp 09:20 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
That's the attitude of pretty much everyone around here. FCC is babysitting, group centers are education.
And yet Montessori is still popular Mixed-age groups, independent work/play.
But I figure the proof is in the pudding My kids get rave reviews from their pre-K screeners and from their teachers.
I think I'll have my recent two write up references for me now, while the iron's hot
Reply Up