Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Location, Location...
CAPA 07:44 PM 08-31-2012
Hi fellow daycare owners/entrepreneurs,

The past fe weeks I have been looking for a place to start my daycare center. I found one center that is perfect in and of itself. It has over 5,000 square feet. It has one 2000 sq. ft. Room and another 1000 sq. ft. Room on the first floor. It has a big parking lot in the back.

Here are some more facts about the place that I would like you to check out and give me some feedback on what you think.

- big building
- no windows but plenty of artificial light
- very well kept in fairly new building
- building formerly used as a church but doesn't require much if any work (no colored glass)
- big parking lot
- in a middle class residential neighborhood.
- street is not very busy but connects to a main road that leads to downtown
- the area is 10 minutes from downtown
- estimated maximum capacity is 40-50 children. ( on first floor)
- opportunity to hold events/ rent out space for tutoring/ etc.
- big park with playground behind the property (walking distance 5 min)
- a big residential area with a lot of houses

Now, I've looked around at other daycares and noticed one common thing about the big ones: they are on a main street with significant traffic. This daycare is actually closer to an even bigger and busier street but is not visible, yet very close to that street. How important is it to have big street visibility? Do parents appreciate the daycare being next to a park in a nice residential area? Can't hurt right?

I would love to hear your thoughts, especially if you have owned/own a center. Thanks a lot folks!
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 09-01-2012
I can't help a lot since I don't know anything about centers in that large of a capcacity but the first things I noticed that would be deal breakers for me as a parent is lack of windows. I would want natural sunshine. I personally couldn't survive in a room with nothing but artificial lighting.

I also wouldn't like the idea of my kids having to walk 5 minutes to and from their play area. I mean after running and playing, I would think having to walk back to the daycare would be hard. Plus if a public park/playground is the only place you have access to outdoor space, that would mean having to "share" that area with the general public and I know from experience that public play spaces aren't always the safest or most ideal places for little ones.

Another thing I noticed is the residential area. Would all the neighbors have issues with a daycare center being in their neighborhood? It would mean increased traffic and noise.

Lots of things to consider I guess. But it would be dependent on what your area needs and what the norm is there as well.
CAPA 08:40 AM 09-01-2012
I see what you mean about the windows. That was a concern of mine also. The biggest room (2000 sq. ft) has 3 big windows that were covered up with plaster or something. You can see from the outside how it was done, but I don't think you can see from the inside. I can probably remove the plaster and put in some windows.

I'm not sure if there is any law that says you can't have a room with no windows in a daycare (for play/rest/infants). I would have to look into that, but hopefully someone can help.

There is enough room in the back of the building to put a playground in it. The good thing about the park is that the kids can go on a walk with a staff member. At my girlfriend's daycare she takes the kids on a 2-mile walk to a park where there is a playground. She says this is a great thing because it gets the kids out and walking and they can get some exercise.
Sugar Magnolia 10:55 AM 09-01-2012
Is it for sale or for rent? I would hesitate purchasing that large of a building to start from.scratch, but I would consider renting it. The lack of windows would be an issue, and I agree with Blackcat that the park would be less desirable than having on-site outdoor play area. Has potential though, especially if you add windows.
CAPA 06:42 AM 09-02-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Is it for sale or for rent? I would hesitate purchasing that large of a building to start from.scratch, but I would consider renting it. The lack of windows would be an issue, and I agree with Blackcat that the park would be less desirable than having on-site outdoor play area. Has potential though, especially if you add windows.
The unit is for sale.

Can anyone else comment on the location specifically?
SunnyDay 09:25 AM 09-02-2012
No windows would be a deal breaker for me, I need natural light. It may also violate licensing rules since it would be difficult to evacute if there were a fire.
CAPA 12:33 PM 09-02-2012
Haha I know I must write a lot cause I mentioned that there are windows that are covered that could be uncovered (in the main room). The basement is a basement. It has a door leading to the outside in the back though. There are 3 doors to the building so maybe that can provide as fire access.
Blackcat31 02:53 PM 09-02-2012
I would check with your fire marshall about specific fire escape rules in your area. In my state ALL rooms MUST have two exits for fire escape. There are specific measurements for window size and for how far off the floor they are and things like that. Those things MUST meet code or we cannot operate.

If I were in your shoes I would find a copy of the licensing requirements for your state and go through them to see if you can find the measurements and things that are required so that way when you are looking for a building, you could have sort of a check list so you can see if the building needs work or not.
Sugar Magnolia 05:03 PM 09-02-2012
Location....it sounds like a good location...off a major road, residential area. If it was a good location for a church, it should be good for daycare. Sounds nice. Good candidate,
CAPA 05:14 PM 09-03-2012
Thanks everyone for the replies, with your help I'll get more perspective on good location.

I've found some information from the state but I have to do some calling around for the specifics.
Reply Up