Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>For Tom: Writing off mileage for DC shopping question
legomom922 03:48 PM 02-22-2011
If I go to the store and 50% of the reason why I am going is to get DC supplies, in order to claim the milage, do the items have to be used by the DC 100% for business? Or can I claim the mileage if the items are to be written off as T/S%?

So an example would be, I need paper towels, & clorox wipes, but these are t/s items, so I can I claim the mileage to go pick thes eitems up?
TomCopeland 11:07 AM 02-23-2011
If the primary reason for the trip is business then you can deduct the trip. The business items you buy don't have to be used 100% for your business.

If the only items you were buying were household items like paper towels, toilet paper and light bulbs, then I don't think you can argue that this was a trip primarily for business purposes. If you are running out of paper towels and need them for tomorrow for your business, then I would claim this trip.

But if you are buying a new rug because the one in the playroom was worn out and you were going to deduct the rug using your t/s% because your own family uses the playroom, then I would claim this as a business trip.

Next Monday join me for my webinar "How to Reduce Your Taxes for 2010 and 2011 sponsored by daycare.com. For more info:
https://www.daycare.com/news/taxes/t...d-webinar.html
Reply Up