Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To prorate for periodic dr's appointments or not?
SunshineMama 07:13 AM 08-17-2012
I lost my back-up person this week, and need to figure out what to do when I have to go to my maternity dr's appointments coming up. All appointments are scheduled late afternoons on fridays, and I advised the parents yesterday that I lost my back up and can either ask my neighbor to come over for those few hours, or them pick up 2 hours early on those appointment days. I don't want to hire someone I don't know just for those few remaining appointments, so those are the two options I want to look into.

My question is: If I do close 2 hours early during those days I have appointments, should I prorate the week and have the parents pay less for those days? I operate by the week, and the kids have an hour window each morning to arrive and generally get picked up on time, so I could figure out an hourly rate and deduct that amount. It would be around $15.50 less than their regular weekly payment. Is this something I should do or just have them pay their weekly rate? Honestly we need the money but I want to do the right thing for my clients. (I definitely deserve the paid hours off lol)

I do not have any paid holidays, sick days, etc. I have a policy that if I close they do not pay for the day, but I have nothing about maternity appointments, or any appointments in general.

On a side note- the reason I lost my backup, is because she was laid off as a teacher, and they called her back to work monday, and told her she had to start tuesday. She is exclusively breastfeeding her 4 month daughter, who is on no schedule of any kind, because she planned to remain a SAHM. I'm kind of thankful I'm full right now- the baby wont take a bottle for the provider and is unhappy, and their 2 year old is unhappy bc she was getting 100% attention from mom and dad (also a teacher) all summer long. I just feel terrible for my friend, because she is a big planner and had no time to get her kids ready for a daycare situation
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 08-17-2012
Congrats on being full! I know you were stressing about that a while back!

Roughly how many appointments do you think you have left?

Instead of pro-rating the partial days, maybe consider giving the family a credit voucher type system. Let them have xx amount of hours or days to use in trade for the number of hours total you are cutting.

If that isn't really feasible, I would probably just go ahead and give a pro-rated amount for those days.

If you have a reliable substitute in your neighbor though, I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to pro-rate those days because if you are open and care IS available, then maybe just leave it up to the parent to decide if they are ok with the sub. If not, then it is their loss because they chose not to use the care provided. kwim?
kathiemarie 08:30 AM 08-17-2012
This is why I'm flexiable with late pickups. Sometimes things happen and I NEED my parents to pick up early. I don't prorate my fees because I don't charge a pick up late fee. I feel it's a two way street. I would just tell your parent that you need the kids picked up by what ever time you need them pickup by. If they ask then maybe give them a break on fees but only if they ask.
DaisyMamma 11:38 AM 08-17-2012
You need to do what is best and most comfortable for you. With that said I would consider having your neighbor do it.
Reply Up