Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated! Illegal Providers in My Area....
SunflowerMama 12:33 PM 04-19-2010
This is just so frustrating!! I interviewed the greatest family this weekend with 3 kids (13 months, 4 yrs and 6 years). They wanted full-time care for the 2 younger ones and summer care for the 6 year old.

The 2 younger ones are currently with another provider in my area that is not registered, listed or licensed (illegal here) and is watching 10 kids under 5yr old each day and then some schoolers. The parents are disappointed b/c the kids just watch tv and play video games during the day so they are looking for a more structured/preschool setting and loved what I have to offer.

The only problem is the group of 3 would put me over ratio by 1 (the infant throws me off). I'm registered for 8 (1 under 17 months, 5 kids b/w 18 months and 5yrs and then 2 schoolers). Because I have 3yr old twins they count in my ratio so I am limited in the additional kids/families I can add.

It's just so frustrating because I would love to have them and it would be totally manageable for me but because I'm so afraid of being inspected and being over ratio I won't be able to do.

It just kills me that this other lady (who mom says has been doing this for nearly 15 years) is operating illegally and according to the parents is not doing an adequate job and I'm just trying to do what is right while providing the best childcare I can. So sad.
missnikki 12:47 PM 04-19-2010
It sounds like you will only be affected during the summer months, when the 6yo needs care. You might offer to take the younger 2 only (bummer). You can always hire a part-time helper for summer hours to increase your ratio, unless the limit was set due to space restriction. Just a couple of thoughts.
Good luck on that one, don't let them go if they are a 3 kid family that seems to fit well!
SunflowerMama 01:06 PM 04-19-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
It sounds like you will only be affected during the summer months, when the 6yo needs care. You might offer to take the younger 2 only (bummer). You can always hire a part-time helper for summer hours to increase your ratio, unless the limit was set due to space restriction. Just a couple of thoughts.
Good luck on that one, don't let them go if they are a 3 kid family that seems to fit well!
Nope can't even take the 2 little ones. I currently have 5 over 18 months (including mine). If I take them my ratio changes. Once I take 1 infant under 17 months my max 18 months - 5yrs drops to 5 children and then 2 schoolers. So I could take the middle-age son and the schooler but not the little one.
Tags:illegal providers
Reply Up