Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Opening, How Would You Handle This?
Francine 11:44 AM 01-04-2015
I had a 3 year old go off to preschool in September, late summer I got a call from his Mom ( we will call her #1) asking if I would have an infant opening next fall. She had just found out that she's pregnant, due in April but since she's a teacher she won't need the spot until fall. No problem for me, I will have two going off to preschool in September so I will have the opening. She isn't paying me for hold the spot for her because I don't have an opening until she needs it anyway, if I had an opening now that I was holding for her then yes I would charge her a holding fee.

Now 2 of my existing daycare Moms are pregnant, both due in August. If I take #1 Mom's baby I won't be able to take both babies of my existing clients. What is fair? I hate to lose existing clients that already have one child here. I hate to see either of these kids having to pack up and move to a different daycare, my goal is to take babies at birth and keep them until they go off to preschool.

To top it off Mom #1's son that was here and then went off to preschool was diagnosed with Leukemia in October so she is dealing with that on top of the new pregnancy. The only thing that I can think of to do is to email her tell her that I need a 100% guarantee that she is going to take the spot and then tell my one existing family that I can't take them but OMG I hate to do that to them. Is it fair to dump and existing client for a non existing client? What would you do?
rosieteddy 11:54 AM 01-04-2015
I would tell Mom -1 that you will not have an opening.The best for you is to keep siblings together at this time.Especially if she is teacher contract and the others are full year.That being said I would lock in other two clients with a holding fee .I charge one week fee and one week tuition non refundable if they do not start with you.I always explain to parents that it is a small cost for them but huge if I do not interview and then they do not attend. If the currant clients choose not to secure their spot (I also have older child attend through maternity leave) I would offer it to the first Mom and hope for the best. Sometimes it is hard to put our emotions aside and do what is best for our program.Good luck.
Francine 11:59 AM 01-04-2015
Something that I forgot to mention in my first post, all 3 of these Mom's teach at the same school. I hate this, I know that I should keep my existing clients but I feel so bad for Mom #1.
Blackcat31 01:59 PM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by Francine:
Something that I forgot to mention in my first post, all 3 of these Mom's teach at the same school. I hate this, I know that I should keep my existing clients but I feel so bad for Mom #1.
I would also tell mom #1 that the spot will not be available. I think current clients should have priority if there are no other variables. I have that rule myself for newborns.

I understand that you feel really bad because of all the other stuff mom #1 has going on in her life, but with her son having been diagnosed with such a serious thing, she is more than likely going to be having lots of family around and lots of unplanned upheaval in her life where her own job may take a back seat due to her older child needing lots of medical attention/visits/etc.

My friends little girl had the same thing at 3. She is 26 now and has been in remission for years but the first 3-4 were SUPER hard and the whole family spent many nights in the children's hospital.

I know it's hard but honestly, you still have to look out for you. No matter how sympathetic or understanding you are. That's my take on it.
lovemykidstoo 03:13 PM 01-04-2015
I would also stick with your existing family. I know it will be hard for you to tell her that you don't have an opening now, but it was unforeseen for you. Definitely get 100% assurance that you current family will remain with you though. I had a family one time that I had their son and then she got pregnant and said she was going to keep coming to me. At the last minute she decided to stay home with the baby until age 1. I had turned away a couple of clients during this time. Mom #1 has a long time to find someone else. Maybe you can give her a name of someone else to call? Prayers for her son.
Tags:infant, spot - infant
Reply Up