Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help Making A Decision Regarding Enrolling A Young Infant...
FirstFriends 04:46 PM 09-22-2017
I currently have 5 little ones enrolled. Three of them have been enrolled for a while, and two are brand new.

I am allowed to have 6 little ones (this age group) in my registered Home Daycare.

My current group is my son 3 years old, boy 19 months old, girl 17 months old and my two new ones are girl 11 months old (starts Monday) and girl 8 months old (just completed her first trial week). Four are full time and 8 month old is 3 days a week.

A parent contacted me about enrolling their 8 week old and I'm unsure. I had such a great routine with my older three and I'm exhausted after caring for the 8 month old this last week. I'm not sure if I just need to get used to the change or if infants aren't my ideal age group.

The 8 week old would be here full time 7:15-5:30. She is currently enrolled in a center that has 15 other infants in the same room. Mom and dad of course don't feel like she is getting adequate attention, staying in a crib the majority of the day, etc...

What should I consider when making this decision? What am I not thinking of?

Do you take young infants? If not, why?
storybookending 05:05 PM 09-22-2017
That is a VERY young group. In my state I wouldn't be allowed that many young ones. My state considers them infants until they are two though.

Does the 11 month old walk? Two non walkers is my personal limit. We have playrooms both upstairs and downstairs and go outside daily. I have a 14 month old and a 9 month old and while they are mobile (one walks, one crawls) they still aren't old enough to go up/down stairs themselves.

Also take into account that the 8 week old will nap more frequently. I don't know what kind of schedule for naps your other ones are on but man am I looong forward to the day mine are all on a one nap schedule.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 06:24 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by FirstFriends:
I currently have 5 little ones enrolled. Three of them have been enrolled for a while, and two are brand new.

I am allowed to have 6 little ones (this age group) in my registered Home Daycare.

My current group is my son 3 years old, boy 19 months old, girl 17 months old and my two new ones are girl 11 months old (starts Monday) and girl 8 months old (just completed her first trial week). Four are full time and 8 month old is 3 days a week.

A parent contacted me about enrolling their 8 week old and I'm unsure. I had such a great routine with my older three and I'm exhausted after caring for the 8 month old this last week. I'm not sure if I just need to get used to the change or if infants aren't my ideal age group.

The 8 week old would be here full time 7:15-5:30. She is currently enrolled in a center that has 15 other infants in the same room. Mom and dad of course don't feel like she is getting adequate attention, staying in a crib the majority of the day, etc...

What should I consider when making this decision? What am I not thinking of?

Do you take young infants? If not, why?
Think 30 minute bottles every 2.5 hours (give or take) on top of your current load.
flying_babyb 06:46 PM 09-22-2017

Just let me say: 15!!! In one room? wow! One more reason I like the fact Wisconsin has maximum group sizes!
HappyEverAfter 07:31 PM 09-22-2017
Unless you really needed the money, I would pass on it. I keep a 14mth old, a 5 mth old and a 4 month old. All full time. In December I'll also have a 2 mth old (my nephew) added to the mix. It's a challenge and for the first few weeks those two smallest ones had me exhausted. Keeping the 14mth old entertained while simultaneously caring for the infants is a major balancing act because they have such different schedules. I have a routine that works but if one thing goes wrong it can make the rest of the day a disaster. For example if one of the infants is colicky or fussy and gets off their feeding/nap schedule it changes the activity schedule of the 14mth old (can't do an art project while holding a screaming infant) which then causes her to get restless and then she will start to act up in an effort to get my attention focused on her only. After I have my nephew start in December I am changing my policy to only watch ages 1-6. The infants are sweet but I really am looking forward to the days when they're all able to follow the same schedule. I want all kids playing, eating and napping at the same times.
FirstFriends 07:49 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
That is a VERY young group. In my state I wouldn't be allowed that many young ones. My state considers them infants until they are two though.

Does the 11 month old walk? Two non walkers is my personal limit. We have playrooms both upstairs and downstairs and go outside daily. I have a 14 month old and a 9 month old and while they are mobile (one walks, one crawls) they still aren't old enough to go up/down stairs themselves.

Also take into account that the 8 week old will nap more frequently. I don't know what kind of schedule for naps your other ones are on but man am I looong forward to the day mine are all on a one nap schedule.
It is definitely a young group. My state's capacity includes one of the following groups, including those children under 13 years old related to the provider.

• 4 children birth to 12 months; or
• 3 children birth to 12 months and other children for a total maximum of 6 children; or
• 6 preschool children if all are older than 12 months; or
•10 children if no more than 5 are pre- school age and, of those 5, no more than 2 are under 12 months.

The 11 month old just began walking. I don't mind baby wearing for walks, outside, I have a quad stroller. My house is all one level. I would need to consider space for them.

The nap thing is pretty perfect right now. The 8 month old was already on a very similar schedule, and takes her nap when my other littles do. I lay her in the pack and play and she falls straight asleep- no bottles, rocking, etc.
FirstFriends 07:59 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
Think 30 minute bottles every 2.5 hours (give or take) on top of your current load.
Thanks! I breastfed my son, so the bottle thing is different. Right now my group eats at 7:45 breakfast, 10:00 AM snack, 12:00 Lunch, 3:15 PM snack. The 8 month old has a bottle at 10:00, sippy cup at lunch, bottle at 3:00 (depending if she is awake by then, she takes long naps).
FirstFriends 08:02 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Just let me say: 15!!! In one room? wow! One more reason I like the fact Wisconsin has maximum group sizes!
Most daycare centers around here have 16 infants in one large room with 4 teachers - birth - 12 months. The ratio is 1 adult to 4 infants.
FirstFriends 08:18 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Starrygirl:
Unless you really needed the money, I would pass on it. I keep a 14mth old, a 5 mth old and a 4 month old. All full time. In December I'll also have a 2 mth old (my nephew) added to the mix. It's a challenge and for the first few weeks those two smallest ones had me exhausted. Keeping the 14mth old entertained while simultaneously caring for the infants is a major balancing act because they have such different schedules. I have a routine that works but if one thing goes wrong it can make the rest of the day a disaster. For example if one of the infants is colicky or fussy and gets off their feeding/nap schedule it changes the activity schedule of the 14mth old (can't do an art project while holding a screaming infant) which then causes her to get restless and then she will start to act up in an effort to get my attention focused on her only. After I have my nephew start in December I am changing my policy to only watch ages 1-6. The infants are sweet but I really am looking forward to the days when they're all able to follow the same schedule. I want all kids playing, eating and napping at the same times.
The money would be nice, but not desperately needed. I like the idea of having the longevity of a family staying from infancy to preschool.

I am worried about my older ones getting upset and acting out with sharing my attention, having to wait. Especially my son- we went through a horrible period of adjustment when I started doing this. He now loves his younger friends, although I do wish I could find a child closer to his age. He desperately wants them to play/interact with him and they are more interested in parallel play.

That definitely sounds like it would be a juggling act. (Schedules, needs, and wants)

Most of the calls I receive requesting interviews are for one year olds or infants. The calls I get for older preschoolers want an extremely lower rate or super weird hours. I need to change my marketing.
storybookending 09:02 PM 09-22-2017
It is definitely a young group. My state's capacity includes one of the following groups, including those children under 13 years old related to the provider.

• 4 children birth to 12 months; or
• 3 children birth to 12 months and other children for a total maximum of 6 children; or
• 6 preschool children if all are older than 12 months; or
•10 children if no more than 5 are pre- school age and, of those 5, no more than 2 are under 12 months.

The 11 month old just began walking. I don't mind baby wearing for walks, outside, I have a quad stroller. My house is all one level. I would need to consider space for them.

The nap thing is pretty perfect right now. The 8 month old was already on a very similar schedule, and takes her nap when my other littles do. I lay her in the pack and play and she falls straight asleep- no bottles, rocking, etc.
Nice that you state doesn't consider them infants until they are two but that is still a crazy young group. I couldn't imagine and personally wouldn't do it. I love having my 3 year olds though. I think 3 is probably my favorite age.

That's great that your new 8 month old is on a good schedule. My 10 month old (called him a 9 month old up there but that was a mistake) is ridiculous. Still thinks it's okay to only take cat naps, sometimes 3-4 a day because he's exhausted. I always tell him it's okay to nap like a big boy, we don't need to nap like newborns anymore! His mom finally gave the OK to start table foods and that is helping get him on a better schedule. And I think filling his belly more to settle down for longer periods. Down to two naps all week except one day when they weren't the greatest and he needed that third nap.

If I were you I would personally pass on this infant and wait a few months. The idea of having a child from infancy to preschool is great but I would be letting my group age at least a few months before adding on another.
Josiegirl 05:09 AM 09-23-2017
Wow, for safety reasons alone, I would pass. Even if some of the younger ones are mobile, how the heck can you direct them to/out the door if a fire broke out?
finsup 11:22 AM 09-23-2017
I love babies, and getting one at 8 weeks would be perfect for me. I'm good with that age group. But, I did just enroll a 3 month old with my bigger kids and I can tell you it's a lot of work. If you didn't have the 8 and 10 month old I'd do it easily. However with them, I'd worry my day would get to become too dependent on making sure the babies needs are met, and just "getting by" with the big kids.
I don't know, like I said, babies ARE my favorite age group but even I think I would pass on this one.
And 15 infants in one rooms?!?!
springv 12:25 PM 09-23-2017
In a daycare center in Alabama, we can only have 5 infants to one teacher.
flying_babyb 01:48 PM 09-23-2017
Wisconsin 1:4 with infants and 1's! Which rather stinks cause I can easily handle 6 mobile one year old (and did at my last center often, cause when staffing was low the boss would sign into the room, check on the kids then disappear into the office with a "call me i you need me"."
jenboo 07:22 PM 09-23-2017
My husband and i have 10 kids under 2 in our home daycare. 8-12 weeks is my favorite age to start a child.
FirstFriends 08:18 AM 09-24-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Wow, for safety reasons alone, I would pass. Even if some of the younger ones are mobile, how the heck can you direct them to/out the door if a fire broke out?
I actually had an active fire drill during nap time last week. During nap time, I started smelling a weird plastic/electrical smell. I immediately went investigating and saw smoke/steam coming out of our dishwasher. I pulled the breaker, loaded everyone into the pack and play with wheels and we went outside to wait for the fire department. 3 firetrucks, a few fire management vehicles, and about 30 firefighters later, we found that my husbands traveling coffee lid had fallen onto the heating element and was burning/melting.

Such a humiliating/embarrassing experience, but the firefighters reassured me that I had done everything perfectly. Better safe than sorry.

My daycare parents and a neighbor apparently thought it was hilarious and gifted my three year old firetrucks for his birthday yesterday at his party.
FirstFriends 08:19 AM 09-24-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
My husband and i have 10 kids under 2 in our home daycare. 8-12 weeks is my favorite age to start a child.
Wow! How do you keep the more active kids happy and busy while taking care of the tiny ones? What do you find the most challenging?
Mom2Two 10:20 AM 09-25-2017
Wow, I'm allowed two under two. I'd pass for sure.
MarinaVanessa 10:29 AM 09-25-2017
I take them that young and I'm allowed 3 infants (under 1 years old) with a max of 6 kids or 2 infants with a max of 8 kids but I don't ever have more than one baby under 1 year old and 1 baby 1-2 years old. It gets very difficult with much more than that. I feel spread a little thin having to take care of one non-mobile baby, one toddler under 2 years and the rest of the other kiddos. But only you know what you can handle.
Tags:enrolling, infant
Reply Up