Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MMK payment rejection NSF. How to charge family?
jojosmommy 11:06 AM 12-06-2012
I use childcarepay and love it. Require all families to pay this way and THOUGHT it prevented me from dealing with parents NSF issues. WRONG.

Billled on Nov 28 for December whole month. Parent paid Nov 28th and I recieved a notice stating invoice was paid. Since it takes almost a week for childcare pay to process the pmt and put it into my account I expect money to be deposited on Dec 5 (yesterday). Today I log on to MMK and see a note. I read it and it says that the payment could not be processed due to parents NSF.

I call mom (at work ) and tell her I just recieved a notice that her payment could not go through. She said "oh yea, I saw that on Monday. I resubmitted the payment today but it says it will take until the 11th for you to get it." To which I reply, "I will look on MMK and see what it says about the invoice to make sure it has been paid. Additionally, I have some fees from childcarepay for having to deal with the NSF. I will look at how that works and I will let you know how much additional you are going to owe."

Here is my issue. MMK charged me $3. I did not occur any bank fees from my own bank since I have plenty in my account to cover things like this. However I do use my money to pay bills and I do not feel like I should have to wait until the 11th to get paid. So, do I go hardball on this mom and say, look you are not going to like this but I am going to charge you the $3 from MMK and $30 which my contract says becuase I do not want this to happen again, OR do I just say its $33 in fees and leave it at that? I could also charge late fees of $5 per day which would be $35 plus the $3 fee (since I would allow those first days grace as that is the norm for MMK to delay payment). OR do I be nice once? I hate dealing with NSF which I thought I was preventing by using MMK but that is not the case.
nanglgrl 12:15 PM 12-06-2012
If it were me I would charge the bank fees and late fees. It will help her remember to make sure the money is in there next time.
Blackcat31 12:19 PM 12-06-2012
I guess the answer depends on your relationship with the family and their history of following your rules and policies.

If they are great, I would charge them the NSF fee of $30 and the $3 fee from MMK but if they have had issues before (not just pymt issues) then I would consider payment late and charge them the NSF fees as well as the late fees until the payment is actually in your account since techically it IS late if you have no access to it.

I also do NOT provde services until I am paid in full.
Cat Herder 12:26 PM 12-06-2012
I have not had that happen, yet. I'd most likely change her the $33 in cash TODAY this time.

It does rub me wrong that she saw it Monday and waited to resubmit it today (Thursday) without speaking to you. The more I think on that, the more irritated it makes me.

In the future I would try to find a way that she would have to pay it that very day in cash or be denied service. It seems MMK should have been able to alert you sooner.

Now I want to check into that issue on my account, too.
MarinaVanessa 12:31 PM 12-06-2012
I would do what your policy states. If this were my client she's be suffering for more than just paying the $3 and $30 non-sufficient funds fee.

There is a late payment fee $10.00 per day for full and part-time clients if the tuition is not paid by Friday at 6:00 p.m. ...

There is a $35 charge for all returned NSF (Non-Sufficient Funds) or SP (Stopped Payments) checks or electronic payments. If any additional bank and other fees are incurred that amount will be added to the client’s account. This includes, but is not limited to, fees charged to the provider’s account from any checks bouncing or overdraft charges from debit card usage as a result of a non-sufficient check given from a client.

If an NSF or SP payment is issued, the tuition amount as well as any fees will be due immediately and in cash and checks or electronic payments will no longer be accepted from this family. The child will not be cared for until all tuition and fees are paid in full and payment will still be due if the child misses any days because of this.

My client would have paid the $3 MMK fee, a $10 per day late fee coming out to be $60, the $35 NSF fee and the total ($98) would all have to be paid in cash from this point on. If it wasn't paid by drop-off tomorrow the child would not be able to stay.
daycare 12:45 PM 12-06-2012
I have not read all of the responses yet, but mine would have been that your payment is now over due. You need to pay me direct in cash.

If she has the money, then why didnt she just give it straight to you after the fact?

I had a mom who did this to me a few years ago. she also tried to resubmit payment through CCP. I said NO, you need to cancel that and get caught up on your payments or your child cannot continue to attend care. It turned out that she didnt have the money and was trying to dealy it another week.

it was also december when she did this to me.

this was also a family who had never been late before and I thought would never do such a thing.

I also tell parents that when they use MMK CCP that the money has to be in my account on the due date. so it was due dec 1, then they better submit it the week before or I will tag on a late fee.
Reply Up