Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Age Do You Expect They Stay In Bed Through Whole Nap?
jojosmommy 12:27 PM 11-18-2013
At what age do you expect an infant/toddler stay in crib the whole nap time?

I am trying to sleep train one dck. But, im not sure if I should expect more. Dck sleeps 1 hour, wakes and cries, if I leave her she falls asleep again, (and this continues on repeat over and over). Would you expect short naps if baby is 6months old, healthy, happy, normal development?!?
Heidi 12:36 PM 11-18-2013
I'm working on it with my 5 month old now. Some days he sleeps 2 1/2-3 hours without a peep, sometimes he wakes and goes back to sleep after an hour. I try to go for at least 2 1/2 hours unless he's really distraught. I give it 7-10 minutes, and if he doesn't go back to sleep, I will try to go in an whisper "it's still nap time". If that doesn't fly, then I get him up.

He is the youngest here and sleeps the least; and is probably the sweetest and also the yet most ornery little one I've ever had.

Over the next few months I'll get stretch it more and more, and by the time he's 10/11 months, nap time is nap time. He doesn't have to sleep the entire time, but he can certainly rest or play quietly. The older infants each get a book and a safe toy (no soft ones...against licensing rules). They can play with those if they wake early.
jojosmommy 11:41 AM 11-19-2013
Anybody else?
Cat Herder 12:19 PM 11-19-2013
Are the feedings on a consistent time schedule yet?

My current 6mo just hit a growth spurt, and was waking mid-nap. I added an extra ounce per bottle (sometimes it is taken, others it is not, but it is available) and we are back on track.

You've probably already tried that, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

Also, I had to move the crib so that little one could not see me at my desk. I can still see little feet and fanny movement, but it stopped the "rolling over time" yell for my "assistance".
blessed mom 01:40 PM 11-19-2013
I think it's kind of hard to determine. They all have different needs and schedules at home and in our homes. I would strive to try to get the child to nap while the other ones are, keep putting her back down and such but if she is simply awake and not going back to sleep then get her up. It's unfair to try to make her stick to the schedule of the other kids but not wrong to keep trying.
jojosmommy 11:53 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Are the feedings on a consistent time schedule yet?

My current 6mo just hit a growth spurt, and was waking mid-nap. I added an extra ounce per bottle (sometimes it is taken, others it is not, but it is available) and we are back on track.

You've probably already tried that, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

Also, I had to move the crib so that little one could not see me at my desk. I can still see little feet and fanny movement, but it stopped the "rolling over time" yell for my "assistance".
Ok, so I have been working on getting this little one on a schedule since she began coming mid july! Insane I know.... She is miserable, cries through morning nap, gets overtired and is a wreck all afternoon.

She eats ok, but mostly is used to having someone stimulate her every single second. She is rocked to sleep at home, and does as she pleases in regards to eating, sleeping etc.

I think I am fighting a losing battle. Some days she sleeps 20 minutes, others she sleeps 45, but no matter what she wakes screaming, every single time!

Ok, its pretty obvious what I need to do. Just hate accepting reality!
Cat Herder 06:23 AM 11-21-2013
Sorry, hun. Parents just don't realize that by teaching the infants to need constant motion, non-stop holding/bouncing/rocking or restraint equipment they are setting them up for this outcome.

**Bouncing from one daycare to another.***

"Motion" Babies = Ragers in Daycare
"AP" Babies = Ragers in Daycare
"Co-Sleep" Babies = Ragers in Daycare
"Up" Babies = Ragers in Daycare

No matter how I have looked at the equations, played with the variables... the solution always came out the same for me.

The worst part is that many of these babies end up alone, in a room, at the back of the house of someone who feels they can't afford to let them go. Kudo's to you for knowing when to call the game.
Heidi 06:28 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Sorry, hun. Parents just don't realize that by teaching the infants to need constant motion, non-stop holding/bouncing/rocking or restraint equipment they are setting them up for this outcome.

**Bouncing from one daycare to another.***

"Motion" Babies = Ragers in Daycare
"AP" Babies = Ragers in Daycare
"Co-Sleep" Babies = Ragers in Daycare
"Up" Babies = Ragers in Daycare

No matter how I have looked at the equations, played with the variables... the solution always came out the same for me.

The worst part is that many of these babies end up alone, in a room, at the back of the house of someone who feel they can't afford to let them go. Kudo's to you for knowing when to call the game.

and many times, that's for their own safety...
Tags:napping issues
Reply Up