Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Never Coming Here AGAIN!!!
Play Care 03:20 AM 01-09-2014
My 4.5 dcb has always been emotionally over the top - and he still cries at the drop of hat, whines, etc. he is off to K in the fall and I think the parents are in for a surprise...

Lately anytime he doesn't get his way, I hear "it's so boring here" or "we always do the same things!" Or " I'm telling my mom that I'm never coming here again!" All the while crying, whining, etc.
Mom is aware he behaves this way but I don't think she realizes how extreme his behavior is for his age. I've never had kids this old carry on the way he does.
Obviously just reading this one might say "that sounds like a 4 yo" but trust me when I say that it's the most over the top I've dealt with in almost ten years. I've had other kids that age behave similarly on occasion, but certainly not every day and multiple times per day. My assistant, a former K teacher, can't believe he's going to K in the fall.
I'm documenting, but I just wish there was something I could do to help the situation.
Laurel 04:25 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
My 4.5 dcb has always been emotionally over the top - and he still cries at the drop of hat, whines, etc. he is off to K in the fall and I think the parents are in for a surprise...

Lately anytime he doesn't get his way, I hear "it's so boring here" or "we always do the same things!" Or " I'm telling my mom that I'm never coming here again!" All the while crying, whining, etc.
Mom is aware he behaves this way but I don't think she realizes how extreme his behavior is for his age. I've never had kids this old carry on the way he does.
Obviously just reading this one might say "that sounds like a 4 yo" but trust me when I say that it's the most over the top I've dealt with in almost ten years. I've had other kids that age behave similarly on occasion, but certainly not every day and multiple times per day. My assistant, a former K teacher, can't believe he's going to K in the fall.
I'm documenting, but I just wish there was something I could do to help the situation.
Glad you are documenting.

Maybe when he says "I'm so bored" have him immediately sit down (even if outside), give him a clipboard, paper and pencil and have him write or draw what he'd rather be doing...every single time. After a time or two of that you'll probably only have to look at the clipboard if he starts to say it. I've already told a child he wasn't allowed to say he was bored. It might not be pc but I dont' care.

When he says he is going to tell his mom either pick up the phone and let him call her and tell her or have him write/draw her a note to that effect. Then make sure HE gives it to her at the end of the day in front of you. If he says it more than once a day his mom will get a stack of letters.

He's too old to be acting like that all the time so I'd do the above or whatever else you can think of to nip it in the bud. I'd be trying to beat him at his own game.

Laurel
Msdunny 05:04 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Maybe when he says "I'm so bored" have him immediately sit down (even if outside), give him a clipboard, paper and pencil and have him write or draw what he'd rather be doing...every single time. After a time or two of that you'll probably only have to look at the clipboard if he starts to say it. I've already told a child he wasn't allowed to say he was bored. It might not be pc but I dont' care.

When he says he is going to tell his mom either pick up the phone and let him call her and tell her or have him write/draw her a note to that effect. Then make sure HE gives it to her at the end of the day in front of you. If he says it more than once a day his mom will get a stack of letters.

He's too old to be acting like that all the time so I'd do the above or whatever else you can think of to nip it in the bud. I'd be trying to beat him at his own game.

Laurel
I love this, and will be remembering it!
jojosmommy 07:43 AM 01-09-2014
How frustrating.

Heard this tip once for bordeom. Make a Im bored jar. Post its with chores on them inside a jar. When kiddo says "Im bored" reply "great! Choose something fun to do from here..." Either they will stop saying Im bored, or your house will be spotless. Win
Laurel 09:00 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I love this, and will be remembering it!
Glad I could help!

Laurel
My3cents 10:20 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Laurel
If the child were older I would give him a clip board and ask him to write that ten times that he was bored but not at this age. I wouldn't want this child to associate bad behavior with being punished to write or draw which they will be doing a lot of when he goes to school. I would have him sit in a chair and explain that its boring to have to sit or maybe a chart and every time he says that make a check mark on it to show his mom. Good luck with this curious to see how you make out. Some kids are bored no matter what you do or have for them to play. They don't know how to play, don't want to learn how. They mostly are in front of a tv at home where they get immediate gratification or game systems. I am not saying tv or gaming is bad. Too much of anything is not good. Many kids are just showered with these things so they don't know what to do when they don't have them.
My3cents 10:21 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
How frustrating.

Heard this tip once for bordeom. Make a Im bored jar. Post its with chores on them inside a jar. When kiddo says "Im bored" reply "great! Choose something fun to do from here..." Either they will stop saying Im bored, or your house will be spotless. Win
lol
Bookworm 10:31 AM 01-09-2014
When I hear I'm bored, I pull out my beans. I have a gallon sized bag of 6 different kinds of beans. Some as small as lentils and as large as northern beans. I give the child the bag and 6 cups and tell them that I need help sorting the beans. But, they have to do the whole bag. After about 15 minutes, they're tired. By the third time having to sort beans, they know to find something to do. Works everytime.
harperluu 11:24 AM 01-09-2014
When my own children or dck's say "I'm bored." I usually say, "That's okay. It's okay to feel bored sometimes." Usually they're saying it because they want to get some reaction. It IS okay to feel bored. Sometimes, I feel bored too. It's not okay to act rude about it. If rude behavior follows then address that by either giving him polite words to say (like I'm having trouble finding something to do, can you help me) or like some suggested, assign a consequence for his rude behavior.

When will he turn 5? Maybe he isn't really ready for kindergarten and would benefit from a solid 5+ program that will put him in a classroom of his peers, and mimics the kindergarten setting closely.
Play Care 01:15 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by harperluu:
When my own children or dck's say "I'm bored." I usually say, "That's okay. It's okay to feel bored sometimes." Usually they're saying it because they want to get some reaction. It IS okay to feel bored. Sometimes, I feel bored too. It's not okay to act rude about it. If rude behavior follows then address that by either giving him polite words to say (like I'm having trouble finding something to do, can you help me) or like some suggested, assign a consequence for his rude behavior.

When will he turn 5? Maybe he isn't really ready for kindergarten and would benefit from a solid 5+ program that will put him in a classroom of his peers, and mimics the kindergarten setting closely.
In his case the act of announcing his boredom is being rude - he'll ask repeatedly "when can we go outside" and when I tell him "after circle time" he screams "THIS IS BORING! We NEVER get to go outside!!!" Otherwise if he was simply announcing he was bored with an activity or whatever I would handle it as you do. He goes to preschool three times a week, and that's really all that available here. The preschool teachers seem to think he's great, and he is, but he's only there a few hours three days per week...
harperluu 02:05 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
In his case the act of announcing his boredom is being rude - he'll ask repeatedly "when can we go outside" and when I tell him "after circle time" he screams "THIS IS BORING! We NEVER get to go outside!!!" Otherwise if he was simply announcing he was bored with an activity or whatever I would handle it as you do. He goes to preschool three times a week, and that's really all that available here. The preschool teachers seem to think he's great, and he is, but he's only there a few hours three days per week...
Okay. I missed the part in your OP that said he was screaming it, or saying it in the same way you are now describing. Sorry about that.
Reply Up