Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do These DCP Even Have Kids?
Unregistered 01:29 PM 06-30-2011
I know this subject has been beat to death, but I'm floored that DCP are leaving DCB with a sitter 2nd weekend in a row after leaving him in day care 5 days. DCD lives out of state m-f for work too. Is having a baby something you do to cross off your life list and then go on with your own life? Being away from my son just 2-3 days a week became quickly unacceptable and why I became a DCP. I just don't get it.
sharlan 01:58 PM 06-30-2011
I don't believe that all parents have the commitment that they should have to their kids.
Unregistered 02:09 PM 06-30-2011
Why is it really any of your business what they do on the weekends? Maybe they've got a wedding or another commitment. And parents do deserve a break too, now and then. Working 40+ hours a week isn't exactly a break, even if it does mean you aren't with your kids. Sure, there are bad parents out there but why be so judgmental when you don't know the whole story?
Meeko 02:11 PM 06-30-2011
Sadly...for many it's just on the list of must have's

house
boat
car
big screen tv
kid

the house, boat, car and big screen tv get LOTS of attention.

The kid.....well he can be dumped at day care.

Don't flame me...I didn't say ALL parents do this...some work hard because they have to and struggle with not seeing their children...but I have done this for many, many years and I have seen so many parents who work to buy the "stuff" and their children get put on the back burner and seem to be more of a possession than anything else.
Blackcat31 02:12 PM 06-30-2011
Every parent parents their child in the way that works for them. There is no right or wrong way, which is where childcare providers and babysitters fit in. LOL!! I had a girlfriend from high school that had three kids within a year of each other. During the first 5 years of their lives she was working full time AND going to school full time. Her thoughts were that she wanted to get all her schooling done while they were little so she could be available for them when they were older and would remember it more.

She always said her babies didn't care who feed them during the day or who made them laugh, but her children would remember when mom couldn't come to the spelling bee or gymnastic meet later on. She managed to BF (pump and freeze) while they were babies and she was as snuggly and loving as she could be in whatever time she had with them.

She is now a Family Physician with her own practice and makes every single one of her children's school events and extra curricular activities. Her oldest daughter just graduated from high school as the class valedictorian. The speech she gave was dedicated to her mother and all the hard work she put in so she could be there for her when it mattered most.

When it matters most is different for everyone.

I am not saying that all parents do what she did or have the same reasons but I am saying that we shouldn't judge because unless we have walked a mile in their shoes we will never really know what their motivations are.

This is a common complaint for child care providers and really in reality we have two choices; Be available when we are needed for long and many hours and not complain or do not allow parents to stay longer than a specific number of hours per day/week as many providers do.....but like parents, we have to do what works for us. That is our choice....and the beauty of the game....
Sunshine44 04:42 PM 06-30-2011
I understand where you are coming from, but people are just different. We think differently and parent differently. It's life and I've learned to semi deal with it. It is difficult to see a parent not spending time with their child, but I guess it isn't our problem.
skittles 06:53 PM 06-30-2011
Ok. its not the daycare providers buisiness what parents do on weekends or after work but what they do with their children sometimes directly affects day to day behavior of their children we care for. I have one family who is very honest they pick up their child from daycare and bring them to grandparents after work each night. On weekends this child is always with grandparents, aunts, babysitters ect.. Mom and dad do a lot for church so they feel in their minds it is a good reason to ditch their kid at alternate care. Let me tell you this child is a mess!! With no consistency in his life he is a wreck. His behaviors are terrible, he is always exhausted, pick up and drop off are a nightmare because this is the only time he sees his mom. She totally admits to it and to her it is normal. So I think in some cases providers have to deal with the "behaviors" some kids dish out when they are being bounced around caregivers.
Centered 08:36 AM 07-01-2011
Yeah, it is a shame that so many daycare parents don't want to spend a nanosecond with their kids. However it is just one downside that daycare providers have to deal with, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

I remember being flabbergasted the first time I had a parent call me and ask me to get her son up in the morning, fed, clothed and dropped off at daycare... and then pick him up when the daycare closed, feed, bathe and put him to bed. She literally did not ever want to care for him EVER, at ALL! I took a pass on that job! It's more common than people would like to think.
Tags:parents - don't want kids, parents - irresponsible, parents - not involved
Reply Up