Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Coat (Vent)
Hunni Bee 11:10 AM 11-21-2011
Vent begin

Why, oh why, do you bring your child in a short-sleeve tshirt and NOTHING else on her arms in the middle of November? I realize it was warmer than usual this morning, but it was still 54 degrees. While you think about it, ask your daughters classmate's mom why she brought him last Friday when it was 28 degrees with no coat. This harms not only your kid but the whole class because we can't go outside because I can't supervise children both inside and out.

Vent end
daycare 11:12 AM 11-21-2011
i had one on thursday no coat and no shoes....He got sent home... I didnt realize it until after mom had left. Boy was she mad..

But I am not going to punish everyone else because someone cant follow rules or think logically...
Kaddidle Care 11:19 AM 11-21-2011
We keep a couple of spares handy for this reason (Sweat Shirts, not shoes). We've had several that come without coats even though we tell them that we go outside every day weather permitting.
abigailrw5 11:21 AM 11-21-2011
This happens to me all the time. I say bring tennis shoes in the summer and they come in flipflops. Now I will get kids that don't have hat, mittens, boots and snowpants. I decided to get some extra hats and mittens here. It drives me crazy!
countrymom 11:42 AM 11-21-2011
so they have something to complain about when their children are sick.
Blackcat31 11:45 AM 11-21-2011
I do a head to toe check BEFORE parent leaves. If they are missing anything essential, they don't stay.

I used to keep spares but after a bit, I actually had parents NOT buy things for their kids because they figured they could just use mine and save a few dollars.

I now even encourage parents to buy an extra set of things to leave at daycare if it makes it easier for them. I don't mind at all, but I am sooo over making up for forgetful parents. We live in MN so it isn't like winter is a surprise for anyone here...iykwim? LOL!
Michelle 11:55 AM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do a head to toe check BEFORE parent leaves. If they are missing anything essential, they don't stay.

I used to keep spares but after a bit, I actually had parents NOT buy things for their kids because they figured they could just use mine and save a few dollars.

I now even encourage parents to buy an extra set of things to leave at daycare if it makes it easier for them. I don't mind at all, but I am sooo over making up for forgetful parents. We live in MN so it isn't like winter is a surprise for anyone here...iykwim? LOL!
A few years ago we flew to Iowa for a wedding and we had a layover/change planes (outside) in Minnesoda and it was snowing..( in my opinion a blizzard) and I had snowsuits on my little boys... they made fun of us but my kids were sooo warm. I can't imagine a parents not bundling them up.
We have about 10 days out of the year where it's actually really cold here and we LOVE it. We get out all our matching scarves, gloves, and coats...
greenhouse 11:58 AM 11-21-2011
We go through this EVERY winter when step daughter visits. Tee shirts and one jacket. Is she supposed to wear her jacket inside?? Keeping extras is the only way to go.
godiva83 12:14 PM 11-21-2011
Really... I can't imagine! I am in Canada and it is mandatory coat weather by now.
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
A few years ago we flew to Iowa for a wedding and we had a layover/change planes (outside) in Minnesoda and it was snowing..( in my opinion a blizzard) and I had snowsuits on my little boys... they made fun of us but my kids were sooo warm. I can't imagine a parents not bundling them up.
We have about 10 days out of the year where it's actually really cold here and we LOVE it. We get out all our matching scarves, gloves, and coats...
LOL!! that's funny because if you aren't used to certain temps your body definitely knows! A few years ago we took a trip to North Carolina in October. The temps were in the low 60ies. My kids were swimming in the hotel's outdoor pool. Another guest asked us if we were crazy. I said, "Nope! We're from MN."
Michelle 12:45 PM 11-21-2011
LOL!! that's funny because if you aren't used to certain temps your body definitely knows! A few years ago we took a trip to North Carolina in October. The temps were in the low 60ies. My kids were swimming in the hotel's outdoor pool. Another guest asked us if we were crazy. I said, "Nope! We're from MN."
I went to Michigan in the Summer and I was cold, I had to wear a sweater the whole trip.
cheerfuldom 01:18 PM 11-21-2011
I know, it's ridiculous. One of my daycare girls is still wearing thin capri leggings and short sleeve (almost midriff) tops.....it's windy and 40 degrees on a regular basis lately, or raining!
AfterSchoolMom 01:29 PM 11-21-2011
I used to have a SA (a kindergartener) that came every morning from October to December with no coat and short sleeves. Temps here then are between 20-50 depending on the month. Poor little guy used to stand at the bus stop every morning shivering. The bus driver asked me every day, "No coat again?". I felt so bad for him, but no matter how many reminders I gave, Mom always said "Oh, he's fine." He only came in the mornings, or I'd have given him a jacket to wear for school...but generally I gave him a spare to wear and he had to take it off right before getting on the bus.

I have a friend who NEVER dresses her baby appropriately for the weather. It can be 30 degrees out and the child has no hat, bare feet, and no blanket. Drives me NUTS.
Blackcat31 01:34 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I went to Michigan in the Summer and I was cold, I had to wear a sweater the whole trip.
LOL!!

It is 21 degrees here right now and I am wearing a T-shirt (indoors of course) but have not even gotten out my winter coat. If you do it too early in the season, we are screwed up when the temps drop below zero. I am still wearing a zip up hoodie for a jacket.

I went to Pomona, Calif last February. Wore shorts and a tank top the whole time. Everyone around me had puffy winter coats and stocking hats.

We drove down to Newport Beach to visit a friend and there was no one at the beach....
Hunni Bee 03:53 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
We keep a couple of spares handy for this reason (Sweat Shirts, not shoes). We've had several that come without coats even though we tell them that we go outside every day weather permitting.
I did too. But they've all been taken home and not sent back. The one who came Friday without a coat, I had to send him home in the spare because it was 35 degrees and raining that night.
Ariana 04:26 PM 11-21-2011
Yes I have spares as well for this very reason. Reminds me of the time a DCM brings her DD over in a t-shirt while she was wearing a coat and boots!!
Michelle 05:11 PM 11-21-2011
LOL!!

It is 21 degrees here right now and I am wearing a T-shirt (indoors of course) but have not even gotten out my winter coat. If you do it too early in the season, we are screwed up when the temps drop below zero. I am still wearing a zip up hoodie for a jacket.

I went to Pomona, Calif last February. Wore shorts and a tank top the whole time. Everyone around me had puffy winter coats and stocking hats.

We drove down to Newport Beach to visit a friend and there was no one at the beach....
We freak out when it get anywhere below 55

I went to Big bear for a ski trip and I forgot my bag in the car and my toothpaste,gel,and shampoo froze, we just don't do cold very well
countrymom 06:45 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
Really... I can't imagine! I am in Canada and it is mandatory coat weather by now.
you would think by now knowing how cold it gets that they would dress right. I have a kid who now has pneumonia and one who is on the verge of sickness.
countrymom 06:48 PM 11-21-2011
LOL!!

last year we went to florida and everyone was wearing jeans and hoodies, and we were in tshirts and shorts. We couldn't wait to strip ourselves of all the parkas we wear. lol!
Zoe 11:10 AM 11-22-2011
LOL!!

Yup! If it's over 30, obviously the kids need to be appropriately dressed, but as for myself....hoodie and t-shirt! Maybe a coat if it's windy. Warm baby! haha! But then again, I'm not outside like that for very long, so there ya go.
Tags:cold weather, cold weather clothing, winter cloths, winter gear power struggle
Reply Up