Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Don't Get It
3kidzmama 11:22 AM 12-16-2011
Why would parents go to Disneyland without their child??? Dcg is the sweetest most precious little thing, perfectly well behaved. She's the only child they have too. I can understand needing to get away for a weekend alone with the hubby, but not to Disneyland!!!! I personally would feel horrible if I went somewhere like that without my children.
Heidi 11:25 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
Why would parents go to Disneyland without their child??? Dcg is the sweetest most precious little thing, perfectly well behaved. She's the only child they have too. I can understand needing to get away for a weekend alone with the hubby, but not to Disneyland!!!! I personally would feel horrible if I went somewhere like that without my children.
Disneyland? that IS wierd!
small_steps 11:31 AM 12-16-2011
I agree. I wouldn't go either without my kiddos. I wouldn't see the point in it personally. I have heard that children really aren't ready for DisneyLand until they are about 6-7 but to go alone, seems strange. Why not choose somewhere romantic and relaxing..a nice spa or something. Disneyland is very expensive too.
KEG123 11:43 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
I agree. I wouldn't go either without my kiddos. I wouldn't see the point in it personally. I have heard that children really aren't ready for DisneyLand until they are about 6-7 but to go alone, seems strange. Why not choose somewhere romantic and relaxing..a nice spa or something. Disneyland is very expensive too.
All of this!
greenhouse 11:47 AM 12-16-2011
I had a friend who honeymooned at Disney, I thought that was weird. This tops that.
daycare 11:56 AM 12-16-2011
I know this sounds strange but when I lived in southern Cali we wt to Disneyland all of the time without our kids

We lived about 15 min from there

We held season passes and we took the kids a lot
But we could not ride all of the rides when we had the kids with us.

Plus Disneyland is a great date place to go with your hubby. It really brings out your youth.
sharlan 12:03 PM 12-16-2011
It's not weird at all. My dd and sil enjoy going to DL alone. Sometimes my dd and I go without the kids.

Little ones can't go on any of the big rides, so one adult would have to ride alone.

We take the littles a couple of times a month. My dh and I took all 4 grandkids last Sun and gave the parents a free day. My dd takes her's at least once a month. So it's not as if they never get to go.
Crystal 12:06 PM 12-16-2011
Oh, Disneyland can be VERY romantic. You should see the storybook weddings they have......to DIE for.
small_steps 12:16 PM 12-16-2011
I guess it depends on how far you live and how wealthy you are. For me it's a very long way so it would cost thousands for air fare and hotel stays so it would be something I would go all out for and do with my kids. Now Six Flags on the other hand is just an hour away from me and I can see going there without the kids for a day of the big rides.
daycare 12:17 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Oh, Disneyland can be VERY romantic. You should see the storybook weddings they have......to DIE for.
OMG my cousin got married there 10 years ago... I would have died to have her wedding... Nothing like a fairy tale come true....But let me tell you this, it cost them a fortune and that was with an employee discount...lol Her and her husband met at disneyland, they both worked in the parade.... Such a storybook wedding for sure....

OP: sorry not trying to jack your thread.....
sharlan 12:27 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
I guess it depends on how far you live and how wealthy you are. For me it's a very long way so it would cost thousands for air fare and hotel stays so it would be something I would go all out for and do with my kids. Now Six Flags on the other hand is just an hour away from me and I can see going there without the kids for a day of the big rides.
OT - I'm about 30 mins away. It's so much cheaper for me to take the kids to DL than it is to go to Chuck E Cheese. We have annual passes w/parking. If I choose not to buy anything that day, it's only the cost of gas. Our last trip to CEC cost $60.
Zoe 12:50 PM 12-16-2011
I went on my honeymoon to Disney World. LOVED it. Huge Disney fan. And my own parents went to Disney World without my brother and I when we were very little for their own second honeymoon. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Now, if this child is of the age where she can enjoy the majority of either park, then I can see how that would be maddening. I wouldn't go without my kids now because I want to share the experience with them...when I can afford it of course...
3kidzmama 12:54 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I know this sounds strange but when I lived in southern Cali we wt to Disneyland all of the time without our kids

We lived about 15 min from there

We held season passes and we took the kids a lot
But we could not ride all of the rides when we had the kids with us.

Plus Disneyland is a great date place to go with your hubby. It really brings out your youth.
If we lived as close as a few of you do, I wouldn't think twice about it... but we are in Arkansas, so it's a LONG way to disneyland. The trip alone is a huge expense in airfare and hotel/food costs, not to mention the entry fees. Its thousands of dollars we are talking here. It just seems strange to me.
Crystal 12:54 PM 12-16-2011
I couldn't go without my kids, personally....I'd feel guilty and I'd MISS them terribly. We have taken them many times over the years and we have awesome memories.

But, if I lived near DL and had annual passes, I could see going without them occasionally.

Wierd, me and hubby just had this discussion last night because one of our single DCM is taking her kids for Christmas and she was telling me that over Thanksgiving their Dad went with his girlfriend and her two kids, but left his own two (7 and 3 years old)behind......no way I could do THAT.
3kidzmama 12:59 PM 12-16-2011
I've seen pictures of those weddings, they are fabulous... however, she isn't getting married or going on a honeymoon... and I just found out I was wrong, she and the hubby didn't go together. He just picked up dcg and I said, "Um, at drop-off, her aunt said you and dcm were on your way to disneyland."

He rolled his eyes and replied, "No, dcm is on her way with her friend... I'm staying here with the kids."

I really didn't know what to say! Still think it's weird LOL
3kidzmama 01:00 PM 12-16-2011
I couldn't go without my kids, personally....I'd feel guilty and I'd MISS them terribly. We have taken them many times over the years and we have awesome memories.

But, if I lived near DL and had annual passes, I could see going without them occasionally.

Wierd, me and hubby just had this discussion last night because one of our single DCM is taking her kids for Christmas and she was telling me that over Thanksgiving their Dad went with his girlfriend and her two kids, but left his own two (7 and 3 years old)behind......no way I could do THAT.
WOW. That's worse if you ask me... taking someone elses kids and leaving your own at home?? That's really bad!!!
Meeko 01:01 PM 12-16-2011
My SIL had her wedding there complete with Cinderella coach. It was amazing. For dessert we had white chocolate Cinderella slippers filled with raspberries. So elegant! A cake like the castle etc. However...it cost her $25,000 and I could never see the sense in that!
daycare 01:01 PM 12-16-2011
If we lived as close as a few of you do, I wouldn't think twice about it... but we are in Arkansas, so it's a LONG way to disneyland. The trip alone is a huge expense in airfare and hotel/food costs, not to mention the entry fees. Its thousands of dollars we are talking here. It just seems strange to me.
oh wow NO way!! i would not go that far without them on a trip like that. SOrry I thought you lived in S.Cali.....

I could never do that to my kids. Even if it was for my Anniversary or a wedding, My kid would be going..

Awe poor kid......
sharlan 01:11 PM 12-16-2011

That is so wrong is so many ways. I feel guilty taking the 2 younger boys while the older kids are at school. They all go so often that it's really not that big of a deal to them.

In all honesty, the DCM would be better off not taking the kids for Christmas and waiting until later. The week before and after Christmas are their busiest two weeks of the year.
Nellie 01:17 PM 12-16-2011
I agree. Those who live closer or are wealthy enough to go multiple times in there life I think it would be very fun to go with out the kids. I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived in MN and they went on an 7 day aniversary trip every year after Thanksgiving to FL(most of the time) with out the kids. I don't know if they nessisarly went to Disney or not, but a very nice trip. Then in the summer they took a week to 2 week vacation with the kids to Disney every year. I'll throw in that she did home daycare and was very successful at it. She was the bread winner of the family. She did work at a health insurance company one or two evenings a week and every other or every third weekend so that they were able to have health insurance. Very off subject, but she charged for 3 weeks of vacation a year, holidays, and every one paid for full time.

I would like to be able to try to get my family there at least once
Blackcat31 01:27 PM 12-16-2011
I had a daycare mom who went last year with her tax return. She took her 13 year old but left her 4 yr old home with grandma and grandma brought him to daycare everyday the whole 10 days mom was gone.

It is bad enough that she took one kid and left the other but this mom is also on state assistance so was royally PO'ed when she returned and i gave her a bill fo rher 4 yr olds care while she was gone! I mean, why should the tax payers pay for her kid to be in care while she was off playing with Mickey?!

FWIW~ I have NEVER been to Disney Land or Disney World.

My dad and step-mother went a few years back as an anniversary gift to themselves. They said there is a lot of things there geared for adults only.
new member 01:27 PM 12-16-2011
some times people do strange things as if they didnt have children it couldnt be me n my daughter is almost 18
familyschoolcare 01:35 PM 12-16-2011
So which do you think would be stranger.

Going to Disneyland without the children, or taking a nanny with you?

This is asuming you live far enougph away that it would be a vaction not a daytrip.

I know a family that highers a nanny to take with them on every vaction.
MarinaVanessa 01:35 PM 12-16-2011
We go Disneyland without the kids. We've done it a few times actually. But then again we take the kids on a seperate trip also. There's just so much that you can see and do at Disneyland that we don't get a chance to do with the kids. We take the kiddos on a trip first, do what they want to do, lug around their stuff etc. Then we go back a few weeks later for an adult trip and leave the kids with a sitter. It's a couple of hours drive for us so we can drive out there, stay until the park closes and then drive back home the same night.
youretooloud 01:52 PM 12-16-2011
My kids are adults, and we only go to Vegas without them.

But, I want to go to Disney World with only my husband soon... I feel guilty about it, but I'll get over it.
daycare 01:54 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
So which do you think would be stranger.

Going to Disneyland without the children, or taking a nanny with you?

This is asuming you live far enougph away that it would be a vaction not a daytrip.

I know a family that highers a nanny to take with them on every vaction.
if I could afford a nanny to take on vacation with me, I would not belong to this form #1, but I would do it in a hearbeat and my kids would go EVERY WHERE I go.....well every where except vegas...lol
MarinaVanessa 02:26 PM 12-16-2011
I had to giggle at the comments about not taking your kids to Vegas because we just took our kids to Vegas last weekend . My fiance and I were going to an Andrea Bocelli concert last weekend with his mom and dad and his brother and wife joined us also. Well wouldn't you know it that my DD said she wanted to go to Las Vegas for her 7th bday . We were already going to be there and weren't planning a party weekend so we indulged her and took both of our kids. We took her to the shark reef, lions, Rain forest cafe, fountains, M&M store etc. She loved it.

And this weekend we're heading right back (leaving as soon as my last DC kiddo gets picked up) for a grown up only trip and we're leaving the kiddos with my mom. I have to admit, only MY kid would ask to go to Vegas for her bday and only WE would indulge her .
youretooloud 02:28 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I had to giggle at the comments about not taking your kids to Vegas because we just took our kids to Vegas last weekend .
I don't live too far from Vegas, so If I go there, it's more about the "Grown up" time, than about the vacation it'self.
daycare 02:47 PM 12-16-2011
hahahhah sorry, Vegas to me is like Adult Disneyland.....the only reason that I go to vegas every year for the last 15 years.Ok this sounds horrible................... is that there are NO KIDS.... lol I love kids, but vacation for me is a place without them.....lol
But thats cool that you took your daughter and found things to do....

We also plan two major family trips with everyone every year too. Disneyland is one of them....
frgsonmysox 03:00 PM 12-16-2011
We are big on spending as much time together as a family. We even take the kids out on our Anniversary day, but do try to do a date night once a month. I couldn't imagine going somewhere like Disneyland without them! We did a week long vacation to South Dakota last year and we talked about how different it would be when the kids are all gone and we go places like that by ourselves. For now we enjoy doing family things with them.
daycare 03:30 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
We are big on spending as much time together as a family. We even take the kids out on our Anniversary day, but do try to do a date night once a month. I couldn't imagine going somewhere like Disneyland without them! We did a week long vacation to South Dakota last year and we talked about how different it would be when the kids are all gone and we go places like that by ourselves. For now we enjoy doing family things with them.
lol ok....lets see if you still want to go everywhere with kids in tow after doing daycare for 5 plus years.....lol

Awesome of you to give that to your children..you will have years and years once they are grown...

Maybe I just suck....lol
sharlan 05:13 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
The whole country celebrates our anniversary with fireworks and barbecues, but that's a different topic.

I just found out that my eldest with be going to DL on Tues, minus her kids. They'll be staying home with grandma.
countrymom 06:06 PM 12-16-2011
we went in april, with 4 kids, drove 2 days and had a blast. Today my kids were having discussions about epcot, I have no idea what they were talking about but they were talking amongst themselves, and it had to do with epcot. That is what memories are made off. We plan on going again in april, my kids can't wait, to them going to florida is the best (you can only handle so much cold weather and my kids love to swim) I would feel so guilty going without them. I know one day they are not going to want to come with us, so we take advantage of them now. One day dh and I will go to vegas alone, but right now I'm trying to convince him to take the kids too. I want them to experience life with family, my kids are close to each other and thats what family is. Oh for christmas day we are heading to ohio to go to great wolf lodge for 3 days.
SilverSabre25 08:26 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
we went in april, with 4 kids, drove 2 days and had a blast. Today my kids were having discussions about epcot, I have no idea what they were talking about but they were talking amongst themselves, and it had to do with epcot. That is what memories are made off. We plan on going again in april, my kids can't wait, to them going to florida is the best (you can only handle so much cold weather and my kids love to swim) I would feel so guilty going without them. I know one day they are not going to want to come with us, so we take advantage of them now. One day dh and I will go to vegas alone, but right now I'm trying to convince him to take the kids too. I want them to experience life with family, my kids are close to each other and thats what family is. Oh for christmas day we are heading to ohio to go to great wolf lodge for 3 days.
hey now that's almost my neck of the woods! I'm in Columbus, not far from I-71. My DH grew up in Cincy, just a couple miles from King's Island--he used to work there. Have fun! We've talked about going down there for Christmas some year.
frgsonmysox 10:07 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol ok....lets see if you still want to go everywhere with kids in tow after doing daycare for 5 plus years.....lol

Awesome of you to give that to your children..you will have years and years once they are grown...

Maybe I just suck....lol
I did daycare before I became a mom, as well as a professional nanny gig. My oldest is 7, so we've been carting all the kids around for a while A lot of people think we are crazy but we both grew up in households where our parents weren't very affectionate and didn't enjoy doing things with us. It would be a LOT easier sometimes to just leave them and go out by ourselves, but we only have a few years with them before they don't want to hang out with us anymore. We'll only be in our 40's when the last one is a grown adult (all 6 of them), so we'll have plenty of time to be just us!
Meeko 08:57 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
hey now that's almost my neck of the woods! I'm in Columbus, not far from I-71. My DH grew up in Cincy, just a couple miles from King's Island--he used to work there. Have fun! We've talked about going down there for Christmas some year.
My oldest daughter and I were in Columbus about 4 years ago for her choir tour. I remember going to a fabulous mall...it was huge! Can't remember the name of it now. It was an outside mall...not all under cover...
Michelle 09:13 AM 12-17-2011
Space Mountain!

Indiana Jones!

Matterhorn !

Thunder Mountain railroad

California Screamer!

I love Disneyland!!!!

They built that place for kids too?

Oh, I didn't know!
Michelle 09:19 AM 12-17-2011
Ha ha , just kidding, I take my sweet angels all the time, but we do sometimes go alone.
MN Mom 05:16 AM 12-18-2011
The whole family went to DW (and when I say the whole family I'm talking Gma, Gpa, Siblings + SO's + grandchildren) in 2003 when I was preggers with my 3rd. It was AMAZING, and I would LOVE to go back just with the hubby. My 2 oldest (who are now 12 and 10) have been bugging me about going back. They remember getting kissed by Snow White and they were just babies! Now that my 4th and youngest is almost 6, I suppose it's about time..... Such a magical place!

Going alone with the hubby, or with friends? Nah not odd at all....to recapture a bit of youth is totally worth it!
AfterSchoolMom 05:43 AM 12-18-2011
I'd NEVER got to DW or DL without my kids, but we live very, very far away from both and have never been. I'd love to plan a family trip.

However, we do live within 45 minutes of a pretty large amusement park, which we have season passes to every year. We usually take the kids 2-3x and we go alone 2-3x. My oldest loves thrill rides and coasters, but my youngest hates them, so every once in awhile we take the oldest and leave the youngest with Grandma. They don't seem to mind at all!
Tags:disneyland, parents - don't appreciate, parents - don't want kids, time with family
Reply Up