Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Things You Do To Give You Energy
Sunshine75 01:33 PM 10-04-2013
I'm kindof piggy backing off melilley's post. Hope she doesn't mind....I was just thinking recently how I want to be able to do daycare but also have a life outside of daycare. I am getting bummed that I have started to withdraw from activities and doing things because I am simply too EXHAUSTED. You know when you are to the point where all you want to do is zone out and not think. Anyways, what do you do to have more energy for your evenings. I would just like to also be able to run errands without dragging myself through the store or looking in my fridge to see if I can make it through tomorrow. I know you all understand. Thanks for any input you can provide. I should add that I have two boys, ages 10 and 13, who I also have to RUN everywhere for. And that is even with us limiting their activities.
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 10-04-2013
What gives me energy?

Strong dark coffee
Reading a good book (even for a couple minutes)
Whipped Cream vodka shots

Depending on the kind of day I am having those things may vary in the order in which they are required.

Seriously though...I am a Type A personality so I have trouble shutting off my energy levels.
Josiegirl 02:09 PM 10-04-2013
Ooh whipped cream vodka shots? Now those sound intriguing....

I had a whole life history written out but deleted it.
I am able to take a lot more time for myself now and I think that's key to preserving your energy, not to mention sanity. If you keep emptying your well without ever refilling it, you're going to run out eventually.
Don't be afraid to ask for help at home, if you have someone there who'll help. 10 and 13 yo boys should be able to help a lot.
Lyss 02:49 PM 10-04-2013
-Music! When I'm feeling tired at the end of the day and I know I still have to go grocery shopping or something not so appealing I blast some upbeat music or something that I like and it gets me perked up!

-Strong Coffee (mochas/lattes= sugar crash later for me, I'm a double shot in the dark or pot of black coffee kinda girl )

-Working out a "mom's day off" with DH; he's in charge on Sundays so mommy gets to sleep in and go shopping or visit with friends without DD in tow!

-Going for a walk or getting outside
Brooksie 03:49 PM 10-04-2013
COFFEE!!! And a quick work out. Nothing that will exhaust me but some quick calisthenics seem to get me a little boost of energy. Oh and did I mention Ritalin? lol (don't worry, its a prescription) A good nights sleep helps. It seems lame to go to bed early on a night off but sometimes I need it after a long week, otherwise I'm exhausted and grumpy.
melilley 03:56 PM 10-04-2013
Great post!
Honestly, during the week I am exhausted and I don't want to do anything after the dck's leave. I have a 10 year old who helps a little with chores and a 14 mo. old also. I don't really do anything outside of the house during the week, but I do try to take an evening walk every night.
I try to grocery shop for the week on Sunday or Monday (my dh closes the store he works at on Mon. so sometimes I go then). I am trying though to have a girls night out once a week, but we are all moms and try to save the weekends for family events so it's hard to do during the week because I have to get up early for the dck's.

I like the idea of whipped cream vodka shots! I'll have to give them a try!
LoraJenkins 04:05 PM 10-04-2013
For me it is caffeine pills no later than 3pm, upbeat music & dancing ( always gives me energy ) and a bottle of wine after the DCKs go home on Fridays.

It's FRIDA Y so listening to "Get Your Shine On" and on my 3rd glass of wine
daycare 04:20 PM 10-04-2013
I take a morning run every morning before DC. Depending on how the weather is, will determine how long I run. Most days its about 3 miles.

I also am addicted to coffee, I drink mine like thick mud. I drink too much of it, my last cup is at 3:00. If I drink it after that, I won't go to bed.

I also don't eat a lot of carbs and stay clear of artificial sugars. I love to pop in some fruit and finger veggies here and there when I can, about every 2.5 hours. Helps maintain my blood sugar levels.....

TGIF...

Vodka shots sound lovely, but minus the whip cream.....lol
Blackcat31 04:57 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:

Vodka shots sound lovely, but minus the whip cream.....lol
It's not real whipped cream. It's only a flavor.

So that means zero carbs/zero sugars....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/cal...vodka-23000953
Sugar Magnolia 06:35 PM 10-04-2013
Very impractical for most......but since you asked......

MOTORCYCLE! Nothing gets the blood pumping like a sports bike. Zoom.
Laurel 04:43 AM 10-05-2013
Two provider friends and I go out to eat and shop one night a week. Yes, I'm tired and at first had to make myself go but now I look so forward to it that fun trumps tired. It really helps to have it to look forward to.

I reduced the number of children I watch by choice. Luckily finances permitted. I couldn't have always done that.

When I can I try to incorporate some of my chores into child care. I can put a load of laundry in before they arrive and fold it at nap.

Lately my goal has been to go to bed earlier but I'm hit and miss on that.

I've noticed that right after they leave if I go do something relaxing, (I like to have quiet and surf the web), for about 20 minutes or so then it is easier to make dinner. I can't hop right into making dinner as soon as they are out the door. I need to take a 'me' break.

Laurel
LoraJenkins 07:27 AM 10-05-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Very impractical for most......but since you asked......

MOTORCYCLE! Nothing gets the blood pumping like a sports bike. Zoom.
But mine is a Harley Sportster
Sunshine75 10:59 AM 10-05-2013
Great Ideas! I know the carbs/sugar do hit me. I had them out of my diet and then slowly and surely they crept their way back in and I have felt sluggish ever since. I think I am going to start doing a veggie try to always have on hand. Now it is just a matter of finding the room in the fridge. My dh and I have decided we may have to break down and buy another fridge for food, pop, etc. Two growing boys need a lot of food! It is crazy how much they can eat at 10 and 13.
Maria2013 12:28 PM 10-05-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
-Music! When I'm feeling tired at the end of the day and I know I still have to go grocery shopping or something not so appealing I blast some upbeat music or something that I like and it gets me perked up!
that^, nothing recharges me like cranking up some upbeat tunes
Lil'DinoEggs 03:04 PM 10-05-2013
I was shocked how much carbs/sugar slowed me down. I cut most of it out and I lost ten pounds almost instantly and my stress headaches went away. I just started working out again as well.

As for the day, I have to, HAVE TO, make sure I get at least 6-8 hours sleep. I feel like a kid in bed screaming, "I don't want to", but it feels so much better. I breathe a lot, and secretly, I also have a pair of earplugs. Sometimes if I am getting irritated by certain noises (i.e. my dd, who is obsessed with horses, makes the most obnoxious horse sound. not a pretty neigh but a mustang screech), it takes the edge off. Finally, I put a smile on my face. This stops me from sounding too harsh and the kids seem a little more relaxed.
Crazy8 04:28 PM 10-05-2013
My morning workout definitely helps me have energy through most of the day but I was still feeling sluggish by late afternoon until I started drinking Shakeology. I hate to sound like its a sales pitch because I am a coach with them (but really just signed up to get the discount on my own orders). I really do see a difference though when I go a few days without it. Carbs also really slow me down - I used to have sandwiches at lunch and be dead by 3pm. I never eat bread anymore!
Sugar Magnolia 05:55 PM 10-05-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
Kawasaki Ninja
julie 06:28 PM 10-05-2013
Music works for me too. If I'm having a rough day with the kids, then it's dance party time. If I am burnt out at the end of the day, I go out and sing something. Never fails to make me feel better and gives a dash of adrenaline to perform too.
Cradle2crayons 10:49 PM 10-05-2013
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
I was shocked how much carbs/sugar slowed me down. I cut most of it out and I lost ten pounds almost instantly and my stress headaches went away. I just started working out again as well.

As for the day, I have to, HAVE TO, make sure I get at least 6-8 hours sleep. I feel like a kid in bed screaming, "I don't want to", but it feels so much better. I breathe a lot, and secretly, I also have a pair of earplugs. Sometimes if I am getting irritated by certain noises (i.e. my dd, who is obsessed with horses, makes the most obnoxious horse sound. not a pretty neigh but a mustang screech), it takes the edge off. Finally, I put a smile on my face. This stops me from sounding too harsh and the kids seem a little more relaxed.
OH MY GOSH... I know JUST the mustang screeches you are talking about!! My daughter is obsessed also and makes the same noises... They can be heard from her bedroom all the way down the 250 yard driveway and to the mail box... Awe lawdie lol
My3cents 11:27 AM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by Sunshine75:
I'm kindof piggy backing off melilley's post. Hope she doesn't mind....I was just thinking recently how I want to be able to do daycare but also have a life outside of daycare. I am getting bummed that I have started to withdraw from activities and doing things because I am simply too EXHAUSTED. You know when you are to the point where all you want to do is zone out and not think. Anyways, what do you do to have more energy for your evenings. I would just like to also be able to run errands without dragging myself through the store or looking in my fridge to see if I can make it through tomorrow. I know you all understand. Thanks for any input you can provide. I should add that I have two boys, ages 10 and 13, who I also have to RUN everywhere for. And that is even with us limiting their activities.
multi tasking- exercise- push yourself to be more active after work. I have had to do this myself. I am wiped. Take a mental note of why your doing your job....to better your family I hope. Make that a priority. Let small stuff go. Have a good routine. Get up at the same time in the morning, go to bed at a decent hour (I struggle with this one at times) Get good night sleep. know your limits and allow yourself to rest when you need it, don't over plan your day. Honestly pushing myself to move after work and not flop has been a blessing to me. Even if I am exhausted, once you push through that tired feeling you will find you have more energy. I have to talk myself through this often. Eat well balanced healthy meals on a routine. Have interest that spark your interest and not everyone else. Something you look forward to doing. When your running with your boys, multi task. Do your planning, list, etc... Make your opening hours reasonable, so you don't fall into burn out. Take mental days off, holidays, vacations that are paid.
melilley 11:35 AM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
My son likes Harley's too...lol (that's him in my avatar pic)
Sunshine75 11:44 AM 10-07-2013
These are some great ideas! Got a much better night sleep from Thursday to Friday and that helped a lot. I was up five times the night before due to being worried I wouldn't wake up from my alarm clock. Don't know if others have gone through that but this is actually the first time I have had to wake to an alarm in the last 13 years! Lol! Just getting used to it again.
LoraJenkins 01:25 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
My son likes Harley's too...lol (that's him in my avatar pic)
OMG! He is just too cute!!!!
daycare 11:09 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's not real whipped cream. It's only a flavor.

So that means zero carbs/zero sugars....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/cal...vodka-23000953
It's not the sugar I don't eat dairy or dairy substitutes.
childcaremom 09:29 AM 10-08-2013
I get up early and go for a walk before the dcks get here. I also do yoga during nap time. Especially helpful after a stressy morning
coolconfidentme 09:36 AM 10-08-2013
What gives me energy?

Whipped Cream vodka shots
I prefer the Ice Cake Vodka shots myself, lol
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I prefer the Ice Cake Vodka shots myself, lol
Yum!!!! Those are fantastic too! (My 2nd favorite!)

I keep a bottle of both in the freezer for "special" occasions.

They also cure any sweet tooth type cravings you might have.
Sugar Magnolia 03:35 PM 10-08-2013
Yum!!!! Those are fantastic too! (My 2nd favorite!)

I keep a bottle of both in the freezer for "special" occasions.

They also cure any sweet tooth type cravings you might have.
Fruit loop vodka!
Sunshine75 05:43 PM 10-08-2013
My favorite for this time of year is hot chocolate or apple cider with butterscotch schnapps! Yummy! And they take the edge off at the end of the day.
Jack Sprat 11:06 AM 10-09-2013
Coffee and Dr. Pepper...the last one I am trying to give up again. I get up at 5:45 and dck's don't arrive till 7:45. If I get up later I am super tired the whole day. I also found if I get more then 8 hours of sleep I am very tired the next day. And carbs make me tired as well. Trying really hard to avoid them.
Tags:tired
Reply Up