Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Families wants to bring Ponies at daycare
LovetheSun 12:44 PM 04-28-2015
Hi everyone!

A family want to bring ponies (or maybe just 1) for their little one birthday. We do have a large backyard. They will take care of the payment and very kindly ask since is their little one dream.

I am just worried for the other children will they be jealous? will the parents think we are been unfair since the others won't get ponies?

The kids joke every week that a horse will one day come so it would be wonderful for them but maybe the older ones will get sad not to get such treatment, I think the younger ones won't realize.

What do you think?
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:54 PM 04-28-2015
That's the craziest request I have ever heard! Why in the world would they arrange something like that at daycare? Here are my reasons I would say no:

1. To me, it would be too "showy" to the other parents. They can have their own party and invite the daycare kids to it on their own time.

2. The kid with the next birthday coming up is going to be seriously disappointed, as they are not going to understand that it was not your doing since it happened at your house.

3. Too much liability. What if another child was stepped on, kicked, or bitten? You never know.

It sounds like a fun opportunity, but not exactly appropriate. A bit over-the-top for a kiddo under 5.JMO
Controlled Chaos 12:55 PM 04-28-2015
Liability NIGHTMARE
childcaremom 12:58 PM 04-28-2015
Ponies? As in real live ones, and not My Little Ponies ?

Sounds fantastic but I would be worried about the liability and the clean up of poop.

Is this at your house?
Do you have insurance?
Who will clean up afterwards?
Do they have handlers that stay?
Safety equipment (helmets)?
What if there is an accident?
What will your neighbours say?
Do you need a permit?

Those are questions that I would be thinking about.
childcaremom 12:58 PM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Liability NIGHTMARE

LovetheSun 01:04 PM 04-28-2015
You guys are right.. My first thought was how happy the kids would be but now it sounds bit complicated.

It will be hard to get out of this without disappointing anyone. I would love to make the little girl dream come true!

But the liability does sound scary. Should will ask if the owner of the ponies has insurance?

How about if I let the parents know we will do the cake celebration the following day so that the kids don't relate the ponies to her birthday?
childcaremom 01:06 PM 04-28-2015
I guess the big question: Why not at their house?
jenboo 01:07 PM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by LovetheSun:
You guys are right.. My first thought was how happy the kids would be but now it sounds bit complicated.

It will be hard to get out of this without disappointing anyone. I would love to make the little girl dream come true!

But the liability does sound scary. Should will ask if the owner of the ponies has insurance?

How about if I let the parents know we will do the cake celebration the following day so that the kids don't relate the ponies to her birthday?
Who cares if you disappoint them! They can do this at their house on their time. There is no reason it needs to be done at daycare!
nannyde 01:09 PM 04-28-2015
Well that's a new one. Just tell them you asked your insurance agent and he said no.

Why the heck aren't they doing it at their own party?
Thriftylady 01:11 PM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Who cares if you disappoint them! They can do this at their house on their time. There is no reason it needs to be done at daycare!
This. They need to keep daycare out of it. They can invite DCK's to their house if they choose.
Shell 01:13 PM 04-28-2015
I actually had ponies at ds' 4th birthday and it was awesome. They were very cleanly and the company sent us the old ponies that were very calm. It was so cool!
But, would I do it for a dc kid- nope. Agree it will make the next birthday child wonder why you didn't get them ponies, too
LovetheSun 01:14 PM 04-28-2015
They live in an apartment and the Dcks are her only friends. Most of families just do a party here, to which the parents are welcome since most don't have outside friends

Yes the insurance is definitely a deal breaker!

I have very funny request I might start posting them, it can be pretty funny!
daycare 01:19 PM 04-28-2015
They live in an apartment and the Dcks are her only friends. Most of families just do a party here, to which the parents are welcome since most don't have outside friends

only in cali, the land of the fruits and nuts....lol

trust me I am in cali too and get odd request all the time....or odd things that happen
LovetheSun 01:24 PM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
only in cali, the land of the fruits and nuts....lol

trust me I am in cali too and get odd request all the time....or odd things that happen
So Right!
The land of fruits and nuts! I love that!

I have a mom who kids models so when they got a scratch on their face, she mention few time and by text as well how their won't be able to work for a while...
Blackcat31 01:25 PM 04-28-2015
Hi everyone!

A family want to bring ponies (or maybe just 1) for their little one birthday. We do have a large backyard. They will take care of the payment and very kindly ask since is their little one dream.

I am just worried for the other children will they be jealous? will the parents think we are been unfair since the others won't get ponies?

The kids joke every week that a horse will one day come so it would be wonderful for them but maybe the older ones will get sad not to get such treatment, I think the younger ones won't realize.

What do you think?
Okay wait.....

It's their little one's dream to have or spend time with a pony for their birthday yet they are planning to send their little one to daycare on their birthday rather than spend such an important milestone with them?

Um, yeah...no ponies at daycare.
Thriftylady 01:27 PM 04-28-2015
Perhaps they can have the party at the ponies house.
preschoolteacher 01:42 PM 04-28-2015
That is one of the craziest things I've ever heard, and I think it's probably also the worst idea as well.

There is SO much liability hanging over you if a kid gets hurt. Even if the "pony company" has insurance, that doesn't mean anything. You could still get sued. You'd still have to have your day in court.

How old is this little girl, by the way? If she's under 4 or 5 years old, I don't think this is her "dream"--it's her parents' dream for her. Get the kid a pony cake and some My Little Ponies and honestly, the average kid would be thrilled.
Josiegirl 02:23 PM 04-28-2015
Do not put this 'make the lil girl's dream come true' your responsibility! If they wanted to do it themselves, they'd find a way.
Thriftylady 02:35 PM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Do not put this 'make the lil girl's dream come true' your responsibility! If they wanted to do it themselves, they'd find a way.
I agree. And they choose where they live. They can always choose to move to a house with a yard. If they can afford a pony for a birthday party, they can make things happen. No way no how would I do it.
nannyde 03:12 PM 04-28-2015
They live in an apartment and there aren't a ton of kids to party with? Why can't they rent a place and have their own party.

Sounds to me like they want to JUST show up andpay for a pony.

I have been hearing for years now of parents wanting the kids only birthday party to be done at daycare. The excuse is always their friends. The parents need to cultivate friendships with their age mates that have kids so their children have real life friends who don't come and go like the kids in daycare.
daycare 03:30 PM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
They live in an apartment and there aren't a ton of kids to party with? Why can't they rent a place and have their own party.

Sounds to me like they want to JUST show up andpay for a pony.

I have been hearing for years now of parents wanting the kids only birthday party to be done at daycare. The excuse is always their friends. The parents need to cultivate friendships with their age mates that have kids so their children have real life friends who don't come and go like the kids in daycare.
I agree, it sounds like they want to dump it in your lap.

When I lived on the beach my daughter wanted a pony ride party for her birthday when she was 5. at the time, i lived in a very small condo and no parks in my area would approve such a thing. I ended up going to the horse stables not too far from where we lived and was able to secure a very inexpensive pony ride for her birthday. None of her friends came, but she got her birthday wish.

If you allow this, what will you have to allow next?????
NoMoreJuice! 03:41 PM 04-28-2015
Nope. I go way out of my way for my dc families, but I'd draw the line there. That is a huge liability risk for you. Parents just have to suck it up and try to understand that side of our business. We are not in the business of making children's dreams come true, we are in the business of keeping them safe.

If dck's dream is to ride ponies, the parents should take her to a stable to ride ponies. Knowing me, I would print off a list of stables that accommodate drop in birthday rides, but you're not obligated to even do that.
mommiebookworm 07:00 PM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
If you allow this, what will you have to allow next?????

earlystart 07:29 PM 04-28-2015
haha, I guess I'm the odd person out in thinking I would allow it and be excited and totally understand why the parents want to do it there

But the liability thing is a perfectly good reason not to do it. Perhaps you can suggest that they find a local farm or horse stable to visit on their own. Or even as an outside-of-school field trip, or as a birthday party that everyone is invited to
Unregistered 04:05 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by earlystart:
haha, I guess I'm the odd person out in thinking I would allow it and be excited and totally understand why the parents want to do it there

But the liability thing is a perfectly good reason not to do it. Perhaps you can suggest that they find a local farm or horse stable to visit on their own. Or even as an outside-of-school field trip, or as a birthday party that everyone is invited to

I'm the same as you! As long as it wasn't any extra work for me (cleaning up after etc) I totally do it! I think it would be fun
KSDC 05:17 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by earlystart:
Maybe I have a different perspective being from a very rural area, but I would love it. I can easily see one of my farm parents wanting to bring a pony, a lamb, or a calf to share with the DCKs.

I would expect the parents to be the entire time to supervise the animal(s). But, it sounds like an amazing stay-at-home field trip for the kids.
DaveA 05:17 AM 04-29-2015
UMM.... Oh @#$% no!

"Dear DCP. I'm sorry I'm not able to allow you to bring a horse to my daycare. I'm too busy providing CPR to my license rep who just had a stroke when I asked if it was ok. Good news- today's lesson plan theme has been changed to Ambulances."

First thing that popped into my head.
Laurel 05:38 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
UMM.... Oh @#$% no!

"Dear DCP. I'm sorry I'm not able to allow you to bring a horse to my daycare. I'm too busy providing CPR to my license rep who just had a stroke when I asked if it was ok. Good news- today's lesson plan theme has been changed to Ambulances."

I'd say no to ponies also. We have stables near us that are pretty reasonable. The children and/or adults can ride a pony and all the liability is on them. It seems like a parent could look into something like that.

If you do agree to do it, I wouldn't just ASK if they had insurance, I'd ask to see proof and see exactly what it covers and doesn't cover.

Laurel
BabyMonkeys 07:24 AM 04-29-2015
UMM.... Oh @#$% no!

I totally should not have read that response during nap time!
KiddieCahoots 08:45 AM 04-29-2015
UMM.... Oh @#$% no!

How bizarre is this thread?! ....

As cute as this idea sounds, the liability is too great. My daughter takes riding lessons, and as we've found out, even the gentlest of horses can have a bad day.
Unregistered 08:53 AM 04-29-2015
This thread reminded me that 2 years ago when I worked at a center we had a fun day and pony rides. No one. I mean no mean checked into libility issues. This center was terrible and just did whatever they felt like.
hope 09:24 AM 04-29-2015
This is such an odd request. Are we as daycare providers going to be the only ones creating memories for these children? Wow! Parents expecting to have birthday parties at daycare? I can't even wrap my head around this?
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:07 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
This is such an odd request. Are we as daycare providers going to be the only ones creating memories for these children? Wow! Parents expecting to have birthday parties at daycare? I can't even wrap my head around this?
That's what I was saying to my DH a few days ago. Kids are at daycare longer hours, and the expectations of all these extra things that "should" happen at daycare BECAUSE of how much time they spend here is ridiculous! Where does it end? Is it going to get worse, or will it cycle around again soon to a more family-oriented way of thinking?

Birthday parties, holiday parties and traditions, seasonal activities, milestones...I feel like a lot of people are content and even expect it to happen at daycare and school. Aww, that makes me sad for the little ones.
Controlled Chaos 11:31 AM 04-29-2015
Don't get me wrong -
as a parent and Mrs. Frizzle like provider it sounds SO FUN!
as the daughter of two lawyers...not so much
Starburst 11:46 AM 04-29-2015

If DCG has a hard time making friends outside of daycare then it does make sense that the parents want to do something spectacular to impress the few friends she does have. I don't think their initial intent is to show off to the daycare parents and make the DCKS jealous; but more of an attempt to make her seem cooler to her friends KWIM (which still isn't healthy). Though I don't doubt that some parents will do that.

I would suggest they see if the pony place has an area where they can have the party on their own time and so the pony wont be as easily spooked in familiar surroundings. And yes, I am a crazy animal lady, and I personally don't agree with exploiting animals by using them as a rented party decoration of sorts for a medium to large group of young kids that may not know how to properly treat large animals, wind up spooking them and can increase safety issues. If you do have a party at your house it can be pony themed for her friends and afterwords her parents can take her to the stalls to visit/ride the pony (quality family time/experience and not as overwhelming for the pony).

Another bonus the parents may not have realized is when you start off with one great party, the next year there is pressure to out do yourself and after a while the child and their friends expect it. The same thing may work two years in a row, but after a few years it grows stale.

And yes, I just recently moved out of California after living there all my life and alot of people in CA do like to show off; especially with the new hipster parent trends of people who want everything to be a big show: baby shower, grandma showers, gender reveal parties, comming home parties, 1000+ new pics of baby on Facebook everyday (wearing the same clothes and having almost the same expression in most).

People say having kids is supposed to make you less selfish; but nowadays most parents are still self-centered; it's just expanded to include their new baby (who they see as an extension of themselves) that they insist is more special and different from any baby that has ever been concieve since the beginning of time. Every parent thinks their child is special on some level, but some go to extremes of just utter ridiculousness about it.

I know some of my opinions aren't popular, but I figure everyone on this site seems to hate me already, so I got nothing to lose by giving my two cents.
jenboo 11:52 AM 04-29-2015
The daycare kids being her only friends is not a valid reason. They can easily bring invitations for all the daycare kids to come to her party outside of daycare.
Elementary schools don't host the students parties. Why should the daycare?
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
The daycare kids being her only friends is not a valid reason. They can easily bring invitations for all the daycare kids to come to her party outside of daycare.
Elementary schools don't host the students parties. Why should the daycare?
The whole "friend" excuse/line got me thinking....

Why do kids even have to have "friends" outside of family when they are under 5 anyways....

I don't remember having friends, other than my siblings and neighborhood kids until I went to school.

When you think about it, it's kind of silly......
Unregistered 12:17 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Why do kids even have to have "friends" outside of family when they are under 5 anyways....

I don't remember having friends, other than my siblings and neighborhood kids until I went to school.

I want to needle-point this and put it on my wall. I down-sized my daycare while I go to school and hear so many concerns from parents that their infants and toddlers won't have as many "friends" since my ratio is so low. Parents project so many of their own issues on to their children.
Dilley Beans 12:22 PM 04-29-2015
She's in daycare, not 96...there is time for her dream to come true at other birthdays and on someone else's liability policy.
LovetheSun 12:26 PM 04-29-2015
I see everyones point and is true that is a big liability responsibility, because of that and because the kids might be disappointed at the next party I will not do it. But I can't help but feel bad!

I feel like I need to mention that the parents of this little one are truly wonderful, they never think twice about keeping her home when she does not feel well, spend a lot of time with her doing fun things and I believe because she is a single child that they did not realize how much envy the others might feel. She is still doing to have a very special birthday with her family, and the parents are going to be present at daycare doing her birthday.

I do each child birthday here and the parents are always welcome, it does give us a lot of work but since we are a small group is manageable and the kids have a strong bond

I also do realize that some parents can be divas There is a family to whom I would have said no right away because I know their intentions would not be as kind (will wanna show off:roll eyes
jenboo 01:00 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

My older 2s and 3s always talked about the other DCKs at home.. How they wanted to play with them, go to their house, etc. I'm assuming this is what they mean by friends??
Now that I'm closed, I'll check in with parents occasionally and they are always telling me how their child is constantly taking about so and so and how they want to play with them.
NightOwl 01:42 PM 04-29-2015
Well just when I thought I'd heard it all.....

NO. No ponies at daycare.
Meeko 03:06 PM 04-29-2015
Oh good grief....what's next? A Blue Angels fly-over for the 3 year old that likes planes?
Laurel 03:29 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Oh good grief....what's next? A Blue Angels fly-over for the 3 year old that likes planes?

DaveA 03:45 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Don't. Give. Them. Ideas.
Reply Up