Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Screaming 1 Year Old
Sweet pea 01:40 PM 10-15-2018
I have a kid who turns 1 this week, he is only with me 3 days a week, he is constantly carried, and I suspect sleeps in mum n dads bed (although they say not). He’s been with me 4 months. The first day is always the worst, screaming unless being held. The second day is a bit better, the third day total bliss , well almost 😂
I’m at a loss what to do on those unbearable days. I check fir hunger and wetness and if he still won’t play and continually screams I pop him in the portacot. This baba screams so much he poops or makes himself sick!
I just feel so bad for using the portacot, I have never had a kid like this before. But it’s definite attention seeking I’m sure.
What else can I do. I know parents have no routine either so I try and keep to our routine here so as not to disrupt the other kids.
Sweet pea 01:46 PM 10-15-2018
Also..... This is my good friends grandson ( first born in both sides of the family) I always said I wouldn’t take under 18 months again after a bad experience I had with another baby( although it turned out he had issues in the end). This baby I think is just spoilt
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 10-16-2018
I don't think it's so much spoiled as it is just learned behavior. The poor babe has learned that life is being carried around and when you aren't doing the same, he cries.

Sounds to me like you need to decide if you can mentally continue doing this as it IS super stressful to not only the provider but to the other kids in care and to the baby himself.

If you can't manage carrying him around all day, there is nothing wrong with telling the family he is unhappy during most the day because you can't meet his needs (being held all day) and then either suggest they find alternate care (a nanny that can carry him around all day is ideal) or you can set a time limit as to how ling each day you will deal with the crying before calling for pick up.

Sometimes parents will alter their behaviors and teach baby the tools he needs to thrive in care. Sometimes parents resist as it is their right to raise their child their way.

It's expecting someone else to endure the fall out of their choice that is disrespectful. Family friend or not, it's not something I could deal with.
Tags:1 year old, screaming child
Reply Up