Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Question...Gerber Meat Sticks?
SilverSabre25 05:10 AM 03-21-2011
You know those jars of "hot dog" looking things in the baby food aisle? I'm pretty sure Gerber sells them. I never bought them and barely even glanced at them, so I'm not sure about this.

Um, am I right in remembering that those are toddler food? As in, they have an age recommendation of older than one (or maybe older?), or a stage recommendation of walker, or something?
countrymom 05:15 AM 03-21-2011
they are so gross looking, seriously how hard is it to boil a hotdog. Yuck. They are toddler foods, but when they become toddlers I would recommend table food, not jar food.
SilverSabre25 06:11 AM 03-21-2011
Ok, so they ARE toddler food, thanks.

Yeah, I didn't buy them and never would (heck, hot dogs are a super rare treat around here) because they are really gross. I get kids to table food as soon as possible anyway...I agree that toddlers need regular food not jarred crud.

Sooo...now I have a dilemma...cut the two meat sticks that came with my 9 mo dcg into small enough pieces for her to handle? Mash them and feed them with a spoon? Or toss them in the trash and find some other finger food for her?
3kidzmama 06:21 AM 03-21-2011
I say trash it. Ew.
nannyde 06:23 AM 03-21-2011
they are disgusting

don't do it...
SandeeAR 06:23 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Ok, so they ARE toddler food, thanks.

Yeah, I didn't buy them and never would (heck, hot dogs are a super rare treat around here) because they are really gross. I get kids to table food as soon as possible anyway...I agree that toddlers need regular food not jarred crud.

Sooo...now I have a dilemma...cut the two meat sticks that came with my 9 mo dcg into small enough pieces for her to handle? Mash them and feed them with a spoon? Or toss them in the trash and find some other finger food for her?
My new eaters eat Vienna Sausages, the same sort of thing. I cut them in half length wise and then slice into bites. A 9 month old should handle them just fine.
JenNJ 06:39 AM 03-21-2011
Ick. I dont want meat sticks that are stored in water and shelf stable so I dont feed them. Blech!
SilverSabre25 06:44 AM 03-21-2011
Man, I am SO GLAD that I'm not the only one who thinks those are gross!
SandeeAR 06:54 AM 03-21-2011
When I grew up, you ate what you could afford. I grew up eating Vienna sausage sandwiches. Still do to this day. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Not everyone is made of money.
melskids 06:54 AM 03-21-2011
i cant even stand the smell of those. they smell like dog food. YUCK!
melskids 06:57 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
When I grew up, you ate what you could afford. I grew up eating Vienna sausage sandwiches. Still do to this day. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Not everyone is made of money.
don't take it personal. my hubby LOVES fried spam sandwiches, but you couldnt pay me to eat it...lol
MG&Lsmom 08:22 AM 03-21-2011
I was told by the food program they are considered hot dogs and can not be served to under 3s. Personally I can't look at them. DH's best friend used to gag when his wife fed them to their daughter. He said they looked like fingers. Eww.

Grilled Spam sandwich! Who said that?!? Now I have a craving. My grandfather was famous in our little valley for Spam and pickle sandwiches he made in his soda shop.
dEHmom 08:33 AM 03-21-2011
I dunno, for some reason canned or jarred meats just make me want to yack thinking about them.

With all 3 of my babes, I started them with jarred vegs (peas, carrots, sweet potatos, etc), graduated them to the fruits, and then they ate table food as soon as they were able to chew. I refused to give the jarred baby foods too much of my business, only when I had to have them for babysitters, grandparents etc, but we rarely used jar foods, and I ended up chucking expired jars out of my cupboards because they never got eaten, and ended in the back of the cupboard.
safechner 08:41 AM 03-21-2011
You know those jars of "hot dog" looking things in the baby food aisle? I'm pretty sure Gerber sells them. I never bought them and barely even glanced at them, so I'm not sure about this.

Um, am I right in remembering that those are toddler food? As in, they have an age recommendation of older than one (or maybe older?), or a stage recommendation of walker, or something?
I think you are talking about spam. A lot of people who loves to eat Spam. Of course, my girls (when they were toddlers) love spam in toddler jar (Gerber graduate toddler food). I don't eat spam but my husband do.
nannyde 08:43 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i cant even stand the smell of those. they smell like dog food. YUCK!
The smell is horrible
the way they look all congealed.... bleck

I don't like any of the baby meat stuff. They stink and they look gross. I would rather make them fresh meat with veggies and grain.
Lucy 09:56 AM 03-21-2011
I've had parents bring them, but I have never bought them myself. They are gross. They smell funny. And they are packed so tightly that when trying to get them out they sometimes break apart. The one thing good about them is that they are softer than a hot dog. If you have a kid with a gag reflex these might be better.
SilverSabre25 10:03 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I've had parents bring them, but I have never bought them myself. They are gross. They smell funny. And they are packed so tightly that when trying to get them out they sometimes break apart. The one thing good about them is that they are softer than a hot dog. If you have a kid with a gag reflex these might be better.
my biggest issue is the age of the child the ones brought today are intended for. I was pretty sure that they were aimed at toddlers...which a crawling, 2-toothed, 9 month old is NOT.
gkids09 11:33 AM 03-21-2011
my biggest issue is the age of the child the ones brought today are intended for. I was pretty sure that they were aimed at toddlers...which a crawling, 2-toothed, 9 month old is NOT.
Well...every doctor is different, obviously...But my 10 month old nephew's doctor has recommended that he NOT have meat until he's a year old. (He also has 2 teeth and is crawling.) The doctor also said table food is okay, as long as it can be mashed between his gums. I have never felt of those toddler hot dogs, but I would not think they'd mash as easy as other foods...
Missani 11:41 AM 03-21-2011
Nope...no baby food meat of any kind in this house! Sticks, jars, whatever...it's just too gross looking to consider, and it scares me that it is shelf safe. And, I agree, to "chokable" for a little.

Now, I'm from MN, Spam Capital of the World, so while it makes me proud to brag, I still can't eat the stuff. My husband would disagree.
QualiTcare 11:56 AM 03-21-2011
hey i loved vienna sausages when i was a kid - LOVED them! i loved potted meat too.

today i think they are GROSS - but my own kids love them just like i did.

i used to eat plain old weenies out of the fridge too and the thought of eating one today makes me cringe....but my kids eat them!
Unregistered 01:28 PM 03-21-2011
I understand that they may be gross, but if a parent sent them for the child to eat, you should feed them to the child. How would you feel if someone threw your childs food away?
SilverSabre25 02:03 PM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I understand that they may be gross, but if a parent sent them for the child to eat, you should feed them to the child. How would you feel if someone threw your childs food away?
Um, yeah, but they are intended for toddlers and this is NOT a toddler. That's my biggest issue here. I'm concerned that they're not appropriate food for the child to be eating...since she's only 9 months old. She sometimes gags on purees. It concerns me.
Lucy 02:20 PM 03-21-2011
I don't know what age they are intended for, but they are soft enough that I think they'd actually be fine for a one-year old. You're probably right - not for 9 months. Unless they got their teeth early. I don't know.... I'd mash them up and spoon feed a 9 month old. I think that would be ok. But don't take my word for it. If it doesn't say on the jar the specific age, look up gerber's website.
Lucy 02:25 PM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ms. Unregistered: Do you just post opposing messages for fun? I've been seeing a bunch of posts from "Unregistered" people (probably all the same person) that seem like they are trying to start arguments. The statements are all like this one, where you semi-insult someone, or bad-mouth what the person has said. So if these ARE all from the same person - just grow up and stop it!

(I know --- don't feed the trolls!!)
Tags:food, food - gerber meat sticks
Reply Up