Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bacterial Pneumonia?!
MarinaVanessa 11:22 AM 07-18-2010
Okay so I have a very good and VERY clear sick policy. Here it is as it is printed in my handbook.

Symptoms for Exclusion

A child will not be able to attend daycare if he/she exhibits any of the symptoms for exclusion such as those listed below without a physician’s note which clearly states that the child can participate in activities without transferring any sickness to another child. Those include but are not limited to:
*Severe sore throat/coughing/colds or strep throat.
*Fever of 100°F or above.
*Green or yellow discharge from nose or eyes.
*Ear discharge.
*Head lice, nits or scabies.
*Three or more watery stools within 24 hours.
*Two or more occasions of vomiting within 24 hours.
*Severe diaper rash.
*Chicken pox.
*Conjunctivitis (pink eye).
*Mumps, measles, influenza, whooping cough, coupe, impetigo, tuberculosis, rubella, rosella etc.
*Any type of body rash (if due to allergies then a doctor’s note will be needed).
*Intestinal worms, ringworms, pin worms etc.
*Anything contagious and transmittable.
*Too tired or fussy to participate in normal activities.

Sounds pretty sound right? Well this morning I get a text from DCM of 2 kids that are leaving (next week is their last week). I don't know if you'll remember but they gave me notice knowing that I was going on vacation next week and they will miss one day, mom had asked for a refund and dad said not to worry about it. Well the text says that they were at the ER last night and that her baby has bacterial pneumonia (7mo)!! I'm not sure if this is just an excuse to have a reason not to come next week or what (she knows she'll need a Dr's note clearing him to come back to daycare). I had noticed last week that the baby's nose was a little stuffy and had some clear discharge from his nose last Monday but he wasn't irritable more than normal (he's my cryer) or had coughing etc. He seemed in a normal mood so I chalked it up to allergies since their whole family is proned to it (my fiance also had allergies flare up Monday and Tuesday).

So anyway, I texted her back and let her know that I'll need a note for him to come back and she said he already had an appointment for Tomorrow (Monday). I then had to call/text my other parent's to let them know also and have spend all morning disinfecting. One of my other DCB (11mo) has had a runny nose in the last few days but it has been clear and in the morning only and has had no other symptoms, no coughing, sneezing, fever, etc. I told that parent also that they should take their son to the Doc's tomorrow and that I will need a note from the doctor's also for him to come back.

What worries me is the threat of spreading infection. Also the thought that this could all just be an excuse to not bring the kids in next week. Just by coincidence my fiance was talking to his client (where DCM of the two kids works) about how we were going on vacation and just in passing his client (her boss) said that she had requested Friday off for vacation (she works Mon, Tues & Fri) 2 months ago!! Thats almost a month before she started daycare here but she gave me a hard time about reimbursing her for Friday! . She knew very well in advance that she would not be here that same Friday that I would be gone and still asked me for reimbursement.

All I need is to freak all of my parent's out and send the other DCB to the docotr's tomorrow, which also happens to be my birthday (and maybe getting parents to think that I'm just trying to get my birthday off) for nothing. I'll be very PO'd if this is just an exageration somehow. On the other hand if he is really sick I do feel bad, even if she was a little accusatory. I don't even know how I can infect a child with bacterial pneumonia. I disinfect everything once a week and wash the blankets & sheets. I even run all of the dishes through the dishwasher sterilize cycle. What a Sunday it has been!
booroo 12:30 PM 07-18-2010
First I want to tell you Happy Birthday; it's my bday too!!

Second-- I would be very Leary about the bacterial pnemonia... Couple reason
1. He's not in the hospital and 2. Bacterial is rare in pnemonia

I have had pnemonia enough times and my kids have had it that I learned enough about it....
MarinaVanessa 12:57 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
First I want to tell you Happy Birthday; it's my bday too!!

Second-- I would be very Leary about the bacterial pnemonia... Couple reason
1. He's not in the hospital and 2. Bacterial is rare in pnemonia

I have had pnemonia enough times and my kids have had it that I learned enough about it....
Happy Birthday!! Mine is tomorrow actually so that's what I meant about parents thinking that I wanted my birthday off. As for the rest of your comment hmm ... do you mean that if he had it he would need to be hospitalized? She mentioned that they were in the ER last night and that he was going to his doctor tomorrow but never said that he had to be hospitalized. I mean I was leary because I don't want want my daughter to get sick and I'm pregnant so I deffinetely do NOT want to get sick so anytime "bacterial", "infection" or "contagious" comes up I freak out. It all seems a lot like coincidence to me though.

I see what you mean about it being rare. I hadn't ever heard of it and had to google it. It said that the symptoms were coughing, fever, shaking, chest pain, and shortness of breath. Like I said, I didn't notice anything different with him when he was here Friday. Just a clear runny nose on Monday morning. He played on his own and seemed happy.
Former Teacher 02:04 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Just by coincidence my fiance was talking to his client (where DCM of the two kids works) about how we were going on vacation and just in passing his client (her boss) said that she had requested Friday off for vacation (she works Mon, Tues & Fri) 2 months ago!! Thats almost a month before she started daycare here but she gave me a hard time about reimbursing her for Friday! . She knew very well in advance that she would not be here that same Friday that I would be gone and still asked me for reimbursement.
I had to chuckle when I read this. We had a family once. I talked about them before..state family, mom kept on popping babies, pregnant one time with twins but aborted one because she couldn't afford both, yet went on to have ANOTHER child, VERY demanding, VERY rude...you get the picture.

Anyway dcm worked at an insurance company. The kiddos were planning on going swimming on this particular Friday. Normally it was Thursdays but we had another trip to go on Thursday. Anyway...the eldest boy,6 years, was having MAJOR potty problems. Well we told her at the beginning of the week that dcb will not be going swimming with us on Friday because he can not control his system. He was to old to be doing that and we couldn't risk him having an accident at the pool.

Well you thought the world ended. DCM ranted and raved about how we were punishing dcb and we were only thinking of ourselves etc. I tried to explain to her that we were also protecting him as can you imagine the embarrassment of having an accident out in public at THAT age. Besides we are talking about both kinds of accidents, not just wet ones.

DCM then started to make a big deal about how she was going to take the day off of work just so she can take dcb and the siblings out to the zoo. She was going to miss a WHOLE day's pay because we wouldn't take her son to the pool. Yadda yadda yadda.

Friday came along and this family did not show up. However, this insurance was a major employer so we had a few families from there. Another child was going home because she had a high fever. Well I went to call this little girls mom. Lo and behold...there was an answering message stating that the company decided to give ALL employees a 3 day weekend but will return to normal business hours on Monday! I didn't know whether to be mad because 1. dcm lied. 2.why is THIS other girl here and her mother was at home? Or should I have laughed because these dc parents were caught?

Long story short, I cornered that dcm. I said that I hoped she had a good time at the zoo. I then asked her if she met any other people she worked with at the zoo since everyone had the day off? HAHAHA! The look on her face was PRICELESS! Of course she didn't answer me but it was nice to confront her!
Former Teacher 02:05 PM 07-18-2010
Oh and Happy Birthday Ladies!
Michael 04:09 PM 07-18-2010
I had bacterial pnemonia. It can be air born contagious and my babysitter had it before I caught it. Not a fun experience, I had 106 temp. Zpack (Zithromax) antibiotics was given which knocked it down.
MarinaVanessa 07:52 AM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
I had bacterial pnemonia. It can be air born contagious and my babysitter had it before I caught it. Not a fun experience, I had 106 temp. Zpack (Zithromax) antibiotics was given which knocked it down.
106!! Oh my. I am glad that I sprayed everything with bleach. I did it again this morning just to be on the safe side and now I'm looking around for surfaces that I might have missed. I mopped the floor with pinesol yesterday but I'm seriously considering spraying it down with bleach also.
MarinaVanessa 10:43 AM 07-19-2010
Okay so DCM of DCB with pneumonia hasn't called me back with an update but didn't show this morning with DCG so I am assuming that she took both kids to the Dr's with her. She had called yesterday asking me a lot about 11mo DCB showing signs of a runny nose last week but wasn't accusatory or anything but it still made me feel like she thought he got it from here. The other DCM with the 11mo took her son to the Dr's also and he apparently has the common cold (clear runny discharge) and was ok'd by the Dr to come back to daycare.

I am extremely paranoid and even went as far as to ask DCM of 11mo to hand me the Dr's note through the screen door so I could read it BEFORE letting either of them in . I apologized and explained that I had disinfected EVERYTHING and if he had an infection that I didn't want to have to do it all again but he ended up not having anything but a small cold and wasn't even given medication or anything. He doesn't even have a fever (I've checked 2x already). I feel fine and so does my daughter, she even got picked up by gramps so it's just me and DCB 11mo today. My house is clean (spotless), DCB is playing happily in the kitchen set (the girls usually hog it up so he's taking advantage), lunch is pre-prepared, DCB wants nothing to with me and I find myself with nothing to do lol. It's been a long time since I've only had 1 child in my home. I guess I'll start on paperwork??
booroo 04:43 PM 07-19-2010
Happy Birthday!! Mine is tomorrow actually so that's what I meant about parents thinking that I wanted my birthday off. As for the rest of your comment hmm ... do you mean that if he had it he would need to be hospitalized? She mentioned that they were in the ER last night and that he was going to his doctor tomorrow but never said that he had to be hospitalized. I mean I was leary because I don't want want my daughter to get sick and I'm pregnant so I deffinetely do NOT want to get sick so anytime "bacterial", "infection" or "contagious" comes up I freak out. It all seems a lot like coincidence to me though.

I see what you mean about it being rare. I hadn't ever heard of it and had to google it. It said that the symptoms were coughing, fever, shaking, chest pain, and shortness of breath. Like I said, I didn't notice anything different with him when he was here Friday. Just a clear runny nose on Monday morning. He played on his own and seemed happy.
yes I mean hospital... I don't know if you remember but a couple months back I had son at dr, told he pnemonia... Came home and my days end he was in the hospital and we were told it was bacterial.... We then had treat me, my 2 Dds, and the dcks... For some reason my dh and ds didn't get it.. He was the only one in the hospital, but as soon as any of us had a sign we got the antibotics, he had it through Iv, we all ran high fever and he had 2 hour breathing treatments....

I don't think at all he has bacterial pnemonia...virual yes..
MarinaVanessa 04:51 PM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
yes I mean hospital... I don't know if you remember but acouple months back I had son at dr, told he pnemonia... Came home and my days end he was in the hospital and we were told it was bacterial.... We then had treat me, my 2 Dds, and the dcks... For some reason my dh and ds didn't get it.. Ge wasthe only one in the hospital, but has soonas any of us had a sign we got the antibotics, he had it through Iv, we all ran high fever and he had 2 hour breathing treatments....

I don't think at all he has bacterial pnemonia...virual yes..
Hahahaha!! She just called me. She said he was mis-diagnosed and asked if she could bring the kids tomorrow. She has a note. He apparently has an ear-infection and they gave her antibiotics at the hospital saturday and amoxicillin to take at home. I told her she could bring him if she signed a waiver for the amox and had her Dr's note and he could stay as long as he wasn't overly fussy. Wow. I just cleaned and scrubbed my ENTIRE 1st floor for an ear-infection lol.
misol 07:36 PM 07-19-2010
Hahahaha!! She just called me. She said he was mis-diagnosed and asked if she could bring the kids tomorrow. She has a note. He apparently has an ear-infection and they gave her antibiotics at the hospital saturday and amoxicillin to take at home. I told her she could bring him if she signed a waiver for the amox and had her Dr's note and he could stay as long as he wasn't overly fussy. Wow. I just cleaned and scrubbed my ENTIRE 1st floor for an ear-infection lol.
Whew! At least you can put your mind at ease now!
Tags:antibiotic, bacteria, bacterial pnemonia
Reply Up