Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Cold???
SandeeAR 09:02 AM 01-06-2011
How cold do you consider TOO cold to take out the 1 year and below bunch?
Blackcat31 10:14 AM 01-06-2011
We spent an hour outside this morning. It was zero out and with the wind chill it was well below zero. My 10 month old was dressed very warmly and had a face mask so only his eyes were showing. The other kids (7 of them from age 2-5) all played in the snow tunnels, sliding on the hill and making snow angels. We try to get outside a minimum of 3 times per week NO MATTER what the temp is. We aren't in Canada but we might as well be! LOL!! It seems it is below zero here all winter so we just deal with it. Last year I had an infant all winter...I put him in his car seat and covered him with blankets and viola` he was good to go. I make sure all the parents know we go out and it is something discussed in depth during interviews. I think outside play, especially in the winter months, helps ward off the illnesses because fresh air is God's medicine!!
juliebug 10:18 AM 01-06-2011
um i have to admit we go out side rarely in winter but we do go to they gym time once a week for an hour some times 2 times a week but usually 35 or warmer but we never say out long but in the summer always outside
AnythingsPossible 10:31 AM 01-06-2011
I'm curious as to what you do with them outside for that long? Do you just go for a walk, or do they just play outside? We currently have a good 6 inches of snow and it has been well below zero most of the week, so we do not make it out much in the winter mainly because they just stand around. So really curious as to what your group does outdoors.
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 01-06-2011
We have several giant snow banks;(courtesy of my plow guy) one with a sliding track on it that we made, the kids spend lots of time sliding. Another giant hill of snow that the kids made a tunnel in and they love crawling in and out of it and we have snow spray (water colored with food coloring in spray bottles). We build forts and have snowball fights. We also have a few sleds with ropes that I pull the kids around the yard with like being in the wagon in the summer. I purchased a few big plastic dump trucks and loaders for the kids and they play in the sandbox filled with snow as if it was summer time. They swing alot too...I keep the swing set area shoveled out so they can. Sometimes we just go for a walk around the block for exercise. I figure that just because there is snow on the ground it shouldn't be any different than summer time. I also have an extra wide sidewalk that is heated so there isn't ever a really big build up of snow so I keep several ride-on toys/cars out so they can drive on the sidewalk. Yesterday, we had a snowball making contest. Some of them rolled the snowballs around the yard for so long that the balls got so big that they had to work together to push them. I love being outside! I guess it rubs off on my dck's too! We play out in the spring and summer every time it rains too!! (Unless there is lightning)

We have an enormous amount of snow this year too so the kids seem to love it since in years past we had the cold and no snow...
DanceMom 11:54 AM 01-06-2011
I usually don't take them out unless it's 30 or more out...if it is below 30 it has to feel warmer ( sun etc ) I have 10 kids here and they start to whine pretty quick when its really cold - so Im not about to dress 10 kids in head to toe snow gear to have them want to come in 10 minutes later because they are cold. Below is a good table to have.

In general terms, cold weather can be categorized as the following:

•30 is chilly and generally uncomfortable
•15 to 30 is cold
•0 to 15 is very cold
•-20 to 0 is bitter cold with significant risk of frostbite
•-20 to -60 is extreme cold and frostbite is likely
•-60 is frigid and exposed skin will freeze in 1 minute

Also depends on the wind chill - AND 3/4 of my kids parents forget their snow gear anyways so when they forget we dont go out - even after I remind them a million times a week to bring them EVERYDAY no MATTER WHAT!!
mac60 12:18 PM 01-06-2011
We don't go outside in the winter. As a parent, if my provider took my baby out in the cold like that I definately would not like it.
momofsix 12:22 PM 01-06-2011
Here is a link to a chart with temp guidelines

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...atherwatch.pdf
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
We don't go outside in the winter. As a parent, if my provider took my baby out in the cold like that I definately would not like it.
This is a family who ice fishes and cross country ski's on a daily basis. They chose me as a provider because we go out as much as they do. Some days, the dad would pick up the baby and put him in a back pack to ski in for nap-time. He said baby slept better when temps were cold. I never let anyone get frostbitten and I always made sure kids were dressed properly. It isn't like it is child abuse to play outside when it is cold outside. I don't take them out when it is SUPER cold. Zero just doesn't count as REALLY cold here I guess. I am aware of the windchills and recommended amounts of time to stay outside and how to dress for the weather. It comes as second nature where I live. If I had a parent who absolutely did not want their baby outside I guess they wouldn't fit in with us, but if necessary I would try to accommodate them and have a helper stay indoors with their baby. Also for the record, this baby is now 2 and has never had an ear infection and is very rarely sick. The 10 month old I have currently is the same way...he hasn't been sick once since he started. (knock on wood..)
mac60 01:55 PM 01-06-2011
I did not suggest that it was child abuse to take a young child outside. I just said that I as a parent would not like it if my provider did it. Just my preference as a parent and as a provider.....Once my own kids hit 3 and up, they absolutely loved to play outside when we got home from work/daycare.
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 01-06-2011
I did not suggest that it was child abuse to take a young child outside. I just said that I as a parent would not like it if my provider did it. Just my preference as a parent and as a provider.....Once my own kids hit 3 and up, they absolutely loved to play outside when we got home from work/daycare.
Sorry...I wasn't being snarky ....I was just emphasizing (sp?). Definitely okay to have preferences....to each his own. I respect everyone's preference/opinions. Sometimes to the point of my DH riding me about always seeing every side of every issue. He looks for support, not "Yeah, but the other person might be thinking....." I'm always presenting the other side of stuff. Was told by my 3rd grade teacher I should join debate in H.S. Never did, but I am probably the most open minded person I know. So sorry if I was coming across as snarky.
Unregistered 02:32 PM 01-06-2011
I try to take them outside as much as possible, but if I don't have appropriate outside gear then I won't take them out. I have 2 under the age of 1 and I can't imagine taking them outside unless I had appropriate winter gear and the temp. was above 20. I take windchill into account, too. If I have only my older kids, then we go outside a lot. The difference there is that they can move around enough to generate body heat, but the babies can't.
Michael 04:00 PM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Here is a link to a chart with temp guidelines

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...atherwatch.pdf
Yes we have that info on Daycare.com : https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
momofboys 04:06 PM 01-06-2011
I typcially do not take kids outdoors unless it is 35 or higher. Now if we have a great snowfall & it is not super cold/windy we may go out to play for a bit but in the winter our outdoor playtime is quite limited. I don't think it is wrong to take kids out if it is colder though so long as you are dressed appropriately. For me I think it would just take too much effort.
DCMom 04:14 PM 01-06-2011
I don't usually take them out if they are under 1; not because I am opposed to it but I am the only one here and I take the other kids out during morning nap. Once they grow out of that, they come out with the rest of us.

We go outside everyday for about 30 minutes; more if it is warmer, less if it colder. Like Blackcat, I really believe that getting out in the fresh air keeps the kids healthier and they LOVE it!

The other reason I do it, is because it is dark when they come and it is dark when they leave. If I didn't take them out during the day, they would never get any fresh air and outdoor exercise during the week. A full set of outdoor clothing is here during the week; some parents leave a set all the time, some bring them on Monday and take them home on Friday. My parents are really good about it.
DBug 06:25 AM 01-07-2011
I don't think I could handle it if we stayed inside all winter -- I'd go stir-crazy .

We go outside twice a day, technically for an hour each time, but after getting everyone ready it's more like 30 minutes each time. The temp cutoff for the schools is about -20C (-4F) either real or with the windchill, and although we haven't gotten too cold since I've been doing daycare, I think it would probably be around -15C (5F)that I wouldn't even bother taking them out.

Anything up to that, even if they get cold while we're outside and we end up coming early, I'd still take them out. We have to go to the bus stop, so we'd be doing that anyway, and I'd like to keep them in the routine of getting outdoor clothes on.

I have had parents surprised that I take the babies out, but I can't leave them at home while we meet the kids at the bus .
SandeeAR 06:33 AM 01-07-2011
Thanks for all the replies. I'm also the only one here with 2.5 y/o, 1 y/o, 9 mo and 5 mos. I just moved and now have better access to my backyard. I think I will start trying to take the 2.5 and 1 y/o's out during morning nap time. I feel bad that we don't go out more, but until I got the babies sort of on the same schedule, I really just couldn't.
daysofelijah 06:53 AM 01-07-2011
You inspired me to take the kids out yesterday. It was about 15 degrees F windchill about 5*. I think the one dcd was annoyed when he saw we were outside upon pickup, but I told him how much fun the dc baby had (9.5 months) and he seemed to lighten up.
momma2girls 11:12 AM 01-07-2011
I agree, it is way too cold here in Iowa for outside time. I would be upset as well, if my infant, toddler was outside everyday in very cold temps!
Tags:cold weather, outside play, temperature, weather
Reply Up