Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>9 Mo That Always Wakes An Hour Before Nap Is Over
sahm2three 01:15 PM 09-12-2011
I don't know how to get her to sleep longer. She is the one who was being nursed by her mom at lunch here, but we stopped that because it just wasn't working. So I am unsure whether she is just still used to being woken up halfway thru her nap or what. I have to go in and rewrap her, give her her paci, and then leave and let her cry. After about 20 mins she goes back to sleep but it is a nightmare and she usually wakes a kid or two up. Just not sure what to do about her. I have moved her to a room by herself, but not sure what else to do with her. Any advice?
Christian Mother 01:38 PM 09-12-2011
Maybe keep her up an extra yr later so she wakes up with the other kiddo's? Wait til she starts walking she'll be out for you w/ no waking up. Maybe she needs a little more stimulation so she sleep through.

I have one little guy who takes a 2 hr nap and the rest 3 hrs. That last hr we spend time reading or puzzles, or a quiet activity. Sometimes I will even put in a movie for him to watch so he is quiet for the other kids. I had a infant here last week who slept a 1 1/2 all day. She was 2 1/2 months. She was a very good baby who hardly cried but I understand. Nap time is important for us to eat and get our stuff done for the day.
AnythingsPossible 03:00 PM 09-12-2011
No advice, but I am in the same boat. Perhaps a little worse! I too have a 9 month old and she has been taking 2 to 3 thirty minute naps here. She has been coming for 3 weeks and her naps have gotten shorter, not longer. I am at a loss as to what to do as well. When she wakes up, she plays quietly for a short while but then starts squelling and making other baby noises. It is against my regs to be in a seperate room from sleeping children, so we havent had very restful nap times!
laundrymom 05:11 PM 09-12-2011
what do you mean rewrap her? are you putting anything in the crib with her other than the clothes she is wearing?
Alexandra 05:17 PM 09-12-2011
She is probably refering to rewrapping her in her blanket. Like to swaddle.
laundrymom 05:23 PM 09-12-2011
she shouldnt be using a blanket with an infant.
sahm2three 07:02 PM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
she shouldnt be using a blanket with an infant.
She is 9 months old. Yes, she is still swaddled.
laundrymom 07:18 PM 09-12-2011
Everyone knows how I feel about safe sleep practices. I'll step away now
Candyland 08:43 PM 09-12-2011
Please don't take this wrong, but I'm baffled why should the baby be made to sleep longer if she is ready to get up? If I were the baby's mom; I certainly wouldn't want my kid's mouth pacified and made to go back to sleep if she's ready to get up. It may be inconvenient, but I would try soothing her or rocking her just to see if she's really ready to nap again. And if not, then I'd keep her up with me.
JusDoU 10:24 PM 09-12-2011
Maybe she's hot....but we always let the infants nap on their own schedule. Sometimes they nap with everybody else & sometimes they don't. All of our toddlers don't get on the regular nap schedule til about 18 months consistently. But the nap room is a seperte room so they don't really disturb the others. Infants generally take shorter naps cause the take more naps than preschoolers.
momofsix 05:29 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
She is 9 months old. Yes, she is still swaddled.
I didn't even catch this at first
Laundry is correct. This baby should not have anything in bed with her, even a blanket for swaddling. Both having blankets and being too warm are connected to SIDS. It's just not worth the risk at all!
sahm2three 08:49 AM 09-13-2011
THIS is why I post so very rarely. The judgements and high horsedness is nauseating some times.

The parents still swaddle. She WILL NOT SLEEP if she isn't swaddled. She is 9 months old and needs to sleep much more than she does. I have let her get up, but she is MISERABLE and rubbing eyes and thrashing around frustrated from being tired. The mom gets frustrated BECAUSE she is so tired when she picks her up. I can't make her sleep any longer.

If I didn't wrap the babies, they wouldn't sleep. I have requested sleep sacks from teh parents, and some have brought them, some have not and just request good old fashioned swaddling. I talked to my licensor and my state does not have regulations about swaddling. So I am not doing anything wrong.
kitkat 09:32 AM 09-13-2011
Have you tried to wean from the swaddle by keeping one arm out? What does she need swaddled...whole body or just legs? That may sound like a silly question, but with DS, we discovered that he NEEDS his legs covered/swaddled or he can't fall asleep. Once we figured that out, we were able to wean from swaddling and just use a sleep sack. You mentioned that maybe shew as use to being woken up half way thru her nap. Was she being woken up when mom came to nurse? If so, was that stopped cold turkey? Maybe giving her a very small bottle when she wakes up just to make the transition smoother for a bit? That might be a slippery slope though. Other things to try might be a fan, white noise, rain from a sound machine, or a lullaby cd that just keeps repeating.
laundrymom 10:41 AM 09-13-2011
THIS is why I post so very rarely. The judgements and high horsedness is nauseating some times.

The parents still swaddle. She WILL NOT SLEEP if she isn't swaddled. She is 9 months old and needs to sleep much more than she does. I have let her get up, but she is MISERABLE and rubbing eyes and thrashing around frustrated from being tired. The mom gets frustrated BECAUSE she is so tired when she picks her up. I can't make her sleep any longer.

If I didn't wrap the babies, they wouldn't sleep. I have requested sleep sacks from teh parents, and some have brought them, some have not and just request good old fashioned swaddling. I talked to my licensor and my state does not have regulations about swaddling. So I am not doing anything wrong.
If you KNOW having blankets in the crib increase the risks of SIDS, and you STILL do it you ARE doing it wrong. I dont give a Rats butt if its against regs or not its WRONG It's fact. Not opinion. Not some crazy way to try to ruin your day, it is fact. And it is your JOB to educate your parents about it. It's your JOB to educate yourself. This child and you may have a very tough month or three but I guarantee my annual salary before taxes, this child CAN learn to sleep without a blanket wrapped around them and the sooner you teach them the better. Babies don't grow smaller and I'm wondering just how long and to what lengths you will go to to keep them wrapped? Wow, ok blood pressure raised a bit, I'm off to have some tea. I deleted part of my response that was mean. I'm not trying to be mean. However if I could go back in time and say these things to my family member who is going through a SIDS death, you can lay money that I would. I would scream it from the rooftops. In my sweet niece Marie's memory, please rethink your sleep practices. I'm not being mean. I'm trying to spare other families the pain and guilt our has.
SandeeAR 11:01 AM 09-13-2011
I currently have two kids that parents swaddled. One is still swaddled, one outgrew it. I tried with the first one to swaddle, to please the parents. I quickly dropped it. He fussed for a few days, but quickly got use to the fact that here, he didn't get swaddled. The other is still swaddled at home, but has never been swaddled here past the first two days. She sleeps 2-3 hours all the time.
Unregistered 11:27 AM 09-13-2011
OP, sorry about your naptime dilemna. I've been there before so believe me, I get it. When my daughter was a baby, I swaddled her. She really never outgrew her startle reflex and even just doing something like moving her arm would totally wake her up. It wasn't that she wasn't sleepy still, she just woke up easily.

I'm sorry
sahm2three 12:01 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
If you KNOW having blankets in the crib increase the risks of SIDS, and you STILL do it you ARE doing it wrong. I dont give a Rats butt if its against regs or not its WRONG It's fact. Not opinion. Not some crazy way to try to ruin your day, it is fact. And it is your JOB to educate your parents about it. It's your JOB to educate yourself. This child and you may have a very tough month or three but I guarantee my annual salary before taxes, this child CAN learn to sleep without a blanket wrapped around them and the sooner you teach them the better. Babies don't grow smaller and I'm wondering just how long and to what lengths you will go to to keep them wrapped? Wow, ok blood pressure raised a bit, I'm off to have some tea. I deleted part of my response that was mean. I'm not trying to be mean. However if I could go back in time and say these things to my family member who is going through a SIDS death, you can lay money that I would. I would scream it from the rooftops. In my sweet niece Marie's memory, please rethink your sleep practices. I'm not being mean. I'm trying to spare other families the pain and guilt our has.
We don't KNOW what causes SIDS. What are the statistics of babies who die of SIDS with no blanket in the crib?! I know of someone personally whose baby passed from SIDS and she NEVER used a blanket but just a blanket sleeper. We can go back and forth all day long. I swaddled all of my kids, and I am the best swaddler EVER. I swaddle so that there is NO blanket near their face. This little girl still have a very strong startle reflex, and will wake every few minutes if her arms are untucked. She wants her feet out and her arms in. I have tried and tried and tried to sleep her with no blanket. No go. I wouldn't want to sleep with no blanket, and I think that with safe swaddling technique, there is very little if any danger.
SilverSabre25 12:48 PM 09-13-2011
Have you tried putting her down for nap earlier? I've had a couple of dcks who wake at the same time every day, regardless of when they were put down.

Have you tried just leaving her? You say she's in a room by herself; could you do something like put on white noise where the other kids are sleeping so they can't hear her, and not going in when she wakes up halfway through nap?

Is she teething? That can cause disrupted sleep/trouble staying asleep/trouble falling asleep.

What about trying white noise in her room?
nannyde 12:48 PM 09-13-2011
I don't allow ANYTHING in the bed with them until they are two and move OUT of the nursery. We don't allow ANY blankets in the nursery much less on the kids.

I use sleeper sacks and footed pajamas to put over their clothes. I use mitted sweatshirts or mitted sacks if they need their hands covered.

I put them to bed WIDE awake in a pitch black dark room that is cool. Temp is usually around 60-62

I don't do any kind of lulling to sleep at all ever. Wide awake to fast asleep.

I don't even allow blankets IN the nursery for any age because I'm fearful one of the older toddlers could hurl it over inside another babies play pen. The odds of that are really low but I can't take the chance.

I don't swaddle. I have a good stock of mitted sacks of different sizes and just use those over the clothes. Once they outgrow the sacks then I just use thick old school zipper footed jammies over their clothes.

It's tough when you don't have the space for kids to have their own area away from you and the others to work out their own sleep patterns. I think there is just so much day to day pressure to protect the afternoon break and to have everyone down at the same time.

I just decided that the more important thing for me was to have a space where they could sleep where I could get away from the crying at any time. I know how pervasive the stress is when you are bombarded with that without break. It causes a LOT of parents and providers making desperate decisions and bad reactions.

For me, the safest thing for everyone is to have equipment that is deep enough to keep kids comfortable to age three, have the space to have under twos separated from over twos. Have space between where I am at nap and where they are at nap... and have a strict routine of everyone goes down from X to X without exception once they are past newborn age.

This results in 99 days of 100 every kid sleeps all of nap every day. It really really works. If one child wakes up and it wakes the others I do not get the others up. They learn from baby on to sleep through the other kids and to sleep through my checking the room frequently during nap. They also sleep through vacuuming and cleaning of the adjacent rooms.

Do you feel you must get the kids up who wake up to the baby crying? I don't allow that. They can be awake but they can't get up because they have awakened during nap. When they know they can't get up they sleep through a LOT of noise. I don't even TRY to be quiet during nap. I don't do anything to stop a baby from fussing during nap. I just set my nap times, do my checks, and only take a child out of bed if they are sick or they need a diaper change.

Voila.. everybody sleeps
sahm2three 04:29 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Have you tried putting her down for nap earlier? I've had a couple of dcks who wake at the same time every day, regardless of when they were put down.

Have you tried just leaving her? You say she's in a room by herself; could you do something like put on white noise where the other kids are sleeping so they can't hear her, and not going in when she wakes up halfway through nap?

Is she teething? That can cause disrupted sleep/trouble staying asleep/trouble falling asleep.

What about trying white noise in her room?
Every room has white noise. Today was just the day from hell. I have the worst headache. I am getting a cold, and my sinuses hurt. I changed her to a cooler room, and she slept better. Still not as long as the other kids, but longer than 20 or 30 mins. I hate letting babies cry. Hate it. So if I do I usually sit outside their door, which is very little break for me.

@Nanny, thank you. How do you deal with the ones who aren't in playpens? I have a toddler room and they aren't in playpens (or I would have to have a dozen playpens!) So they are all on nap mats. But they are CONSTANTLY up and getting into things, waking eachother up, etc. My assistant and I have been having to take turns sitting in the toddler room so that they stay on their mats, even though MOST of the toddlers have been here for a year or so and know the routine. Throw one new one in the mix and all the rules go out the window!
nannyde 04:46 PM 09-13-2011
Every room has white noise. Today was just the day from hell. I have the worst headache. I am getting a cold, and my sinuses hurt. I changed her to a cooler room, and she slept better. Still not as long as the other kids, but longer than 20 or 30 mins. I hate letting babies cry. Hate it. So if I do I usually sit outside their door, which is very little break for me.

@Nanny, thank you. How do you deal with the ones who aren't in playpens? I have a toddler room and they aren't in playpens (or I would have to have a dozen playpens!) So they are all on nap mats. But they are CONSTANTLY up and getting into things, waking eachother up, etc. My assistant and I have been having to take turns sitting in the toddler room so that they stay on their mats, even though MOST of the toddlers have been here for a year or so and know the routine. Throw one new one in the mix and all the rules go out the window!
I have play yards that are deep and long. I only have one bed and one cot. I have never used the cot because all of my kids but one still fit in the play yards they have had since birth.

If I had more than one on a bed I would put a camera on them and be on them in an instant if they got up.

If they persisted I would have to term. I can't have kids up at nap. It's not personal... I know there are kids from infant to five years old that don't need a nap. It's about me not the kids.

I know myself and my limits. I could not do this without a scheduled break every day. My only exception is with newborns. I don't mind them being up at nap because this is the time I bond with them BUT it kicks my arse until they are big enough to sleep through nap.
Tags:naptime routine, sleep problems, wakes up early, won't sleep
Reply Up