Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Graco Carseat Recall
sharlan 08:04 AM 03-30-2014
https://secure.gracobucklerecall.com/Recall2014

The buckle on some Graco carseats have been recalled. I already contacted them and have new buckles on the way.

I posted the letter on my front door for my parents to read. Of course, not a single one did. I did tell them, but now it's up to them to contact Graco.

Blackcat31 08:15 AM 03-30-2014
Thanks for posting this Sharlan!

LOL!! I just had a mom last week arrive at daycare and ask me to come out to her car...she said she had an issue she needed help with....

So I go out there and her son is in his car seat but he is stuck! She could NOT get the buckle to release so she couldn't get him out.

I told her I don't use car seats...my own kids are grown and gone, I have no grand babies yet and do not transport DCK's so have NO idea what she is suppose to do.

She ended up leaving and finding her DH to help her. They finally got him out but I don't know how...I'll have to tell her about this for sure because she is still suing the seat (don't know if they still have issues with the buckle though) but maybe it will help so she doesn't have any further issues.

It was funny but not...kwim?
Naptime yet? 08:19 AM 03-30-2014
I re-ordered a replacement buckle about 3-4 weeks ago. They emailed me about 2 weeks ago & said they received my request and will ship it...

Patience, Jedi, patience.

PS: My licensensor was just telling me the amount of things being recalled right now is crazy. I don't think this is something parents think about, unless the recall is large enough to hit the evening news.
Angelsj 08:20 AM 03-30-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Thanks for posting this Sharlan!

LOL!! I just had a mom last week arrive at daycare and ask me to come out to her car...she said she had an issue she needed help with....

So I go out there and her son is in his car seat but he is stuck! She could NOT get the buckle to release so she couldn't get him out.

I told her I don't use car seats...my own kids are grown and gone, I have no grand babies yet and do not transport DCK's so have NO idea what she is suppose to do.

She ended up leaving and finding her DH to help her. They finally got him out but I don't know how...I'll have to tell her about this for sure because she is still suing the seat (don't know if they still have issues with the buckle though) but maybe it will help so she doesn't have any further issues.

It was funny but not...kwim?
The majority of carseats have a strap release. The straps tighten up for a snug fit using a pull strap at the bottom of the seat, and can be released (loosened enough to get the child out) the same way. It is usually between the child's feet, about 4 inches below the buckle itself. For future reference.
craftymissbeth 08:29 AM 03-30-2014
My 4 mo dcb is in a Graco infant seat and the buckles on his are sometimes very difficult to unbuckle... and then sometimes they're super easy.

I told dcm about the recall but she's not concerned. Apparently the main issue is that it can be difficult to remove a child in an emergency.
taylorw1210 12:25 PM 03-30-2014
I'm surprised this wasn't shared earlier. I just got my recall replacement parts in the mail yesterday, after ordering them 4+ weeks ago! I was really starting to worry than my daughter would be stuck soon, because her buckle is getting really hard to unlatch!
slorey 02:40 PM 03-30-2014
It took me over a month to get a replacement buckle as well. My son got stuck in his seat one time last summer and I panicked. Thought about cutting the straps to get him out, but eventually got the buckle to unlatch after about 10-plus minutes of trying! Graco says the seats are perfectly safe, but I am sorry, if I was involved in a serious car accident that required fast evacuation from the vehicle and the buckle was stuck, that does pose a serious risk! For those who have trouble unlatching buckles while waiting for a replacement, tip the buckle towards the child's abdomen and it will be a little easier to release. Works for us anyway.
sharlan 02:54 PM 03-30-2014
Originally Posted by slorey:
It took me over a month to get a replacement buckle as well. My son got stuck in his seat one time last summer and I panicked. Thought about cutting the straps to get him out, but eventually got the buckle to unlatch after about 10-plus minutes of trying! Graco says the seats are perfectly safe, but I am sorry, if I was involved in a serious car accident that required fast evacuation from the vehicle and the buckle was stuck, that does pose a serious risk! For those who have trouble unlatching buckles while waiting for a replacement, tip the buckle towards the child's abdomen and it will be a little easier to release. Works for us anyway.
In an emergency, loosen the straps all the way and you can pull the child right out. It's not as fast, but it's quick.
slorey 02:59 PM 03-30-2014
Sharlan, I know that now, and actually thought of it after I got my son out when he was stuck last year. So glad i didn't freak out and cut the straps like i was thinking I might have to. How stupid would I have felt then? Just not sure I would be thinking that clearly if it were a true serious emergency (thinking car on fire or submerged, etc) to do that, KWIM?
Tags:car seats, graco, recall
Reply Up