Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Illinois Homeschool Rule for Provider's Children
AmyL 12:54 PM 06-06-2013
I would like to know if you are a provider that homeschools your own children, and if so, how does licensing work that into your capacity? It is my understanding that homeschooled children do not count on your capacity at all.
What does DCFS require from you to show that you homeschool your own children?
Oneluckymom 12:56 PM 06-06-2013
In California my own children count until age 10. As long as they are home they count.
Heidi 01:02 PM 06-06-2013
Here they count until they are 7, and we need an ok from licensing to homeschool. Basically, you have to prove it doesn't interfere with the care of the children.
SilverSabre25 01:04 PM 06-06-2013
I've been avoiding looking into this with my state, although I am legally unlicensed. My DD will be homeschooled next fall and really wants nothing to do with daycare any longer. She turns 6 in October and that is the age she stops counting at all in my numbers.
originalkat 03:26 PM 06-06-2013
In Kansas my own kids count until they are 11 years old. I homeschool my kids. I do not have to report it to licensing, but when they come for my annual inspection I have to be sure their schooling isn't interfering with my ability to care for the kids.
craftymissbeth 03:50 PM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:
In Kansas my own kids count until they are 11 years old. I homeschool my kids. I do not have to report it to licensing, but when they come for my annual inspection I have to be sure their schooling isn't interfering with my ability to care for the kids.
I'm in Kansas and considering homeschooling DS next year for 1st grade. Do you have to have a written plan showing how you will prevent it from interfering?
Solandia 04:06 PM 06-06-2013
In Illinois, your children count (under 12yo) regardless if they are home or not...homeschooling is a non-issue. EVEN if your dh or another adult are "in charge" of your kids, they would still count in your numbers.

I have 3 of my own kids under 12, I can only be licensed for 5 kids. If I had 0 kids under 12, my license would be for 8 kids.
originalkat 04:40 PM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I'm in Kansas and considering homeschooling DS next year for 1st grade. Do you have to have a written plan showing how you will prevent it from interfering?
No. In fact I did not even inform them. When they came out to the inspection I carry on as usual but just dont work on anything formal with my kids at the time. When they inquired about my kids I said casually "Oh yes, we homeschool. It has worked out beautifully for our family and the daycare. We just all learn together throughout the day." I also mentioned my hubby helps out with hte homeschooling as well. They responded favorably and made a quick comment about "as long as it doesnt interfere with the care of the children."

Also, if you are on the food program I get reimbursed for all my own kids meals during daycare hours since we homeschool (and we income qualify). I did have to type out a little schedule for the sponsor to show our homeschool day and that their meals coincided with the daycare meals.
Evansmom 04:58 PM 06-06-2013
This is the reason that even tho I really don't like TX, I stay here and hesitate to move anywhere else. I'm legally unlicensed, can watch 3 kids unrelated to me and as many as I want that are related to me. Further, it is legal to homeschool other parent's children, which I plan on doing while home schooling my youngest son.

I am "listed" tho which is where I've given the state our info and had background checks but they don't have any oversight over me. That is required here if you are going to watch any children in my area.
originalkat 01:08 PM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
This is the reason that even tho I really don't like TX, I stay here and hesitate to move anywhere else. I'm legally unlicensed, can watch 3 kids unrelated to me and as many as I want that are related to me. Further, it is legal to homeschool other parent's children, which I plan on doing while home schooling my youngest son.

I am "listed" tho which is where I've given the state our info and had background checks but they don't have any oversight over me. That is required here if you are going to watch any children in my area.
I am from Kansas...but I would love to move to Texas if we move. Great homeschool laws and daycare laws. My hubby will be applying to md/phd schools next year and I am hoping he gets accepted to one in Texas!
Evansmom 06:14 PM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I am from Kansas...but I would love to move to Texas if we move. Great homeschool laws and daycare laws. My hubby will be applying to md/phd schools next year and I am hoping he gets accepted to one in Texas!
Oh I hope he gets accepted! The weather here is oppressive and atrocious but you're right, the laws for daycare/homeschool are nice.

For homeschooling you don't have to do anything at all. If you never send your child to school then you never have to deal with the state or district or anything. If you pull your child from public school you don't have to do anything except sign them out. No paperwork, no affidavits, no oversight. .
originalkat 06:21 PM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Oh I hope he gets accepted! The weather here is oppressive and atrocious but you're right, the laws for daycare/homeschool are nice.

For homeschooling you don't have to do anything at all. If you never send your child to school then you never have to deal with the state or district or anything. If you pull your child from public school you don't have to do anything except sign them out. No paperwork, no affidavits, no oversight. .
Yes, Kansas is similar and has great homeschool laws...but no schools offering my hubbys degree program here. We love our home and all our family is here, but it looks like a move is inevitable.
jenn 07:23 PM 06-10-2013
Also in Kansas...

My daughter will be homeschooled next year. She will fill one of my school age openings.
I was told by one inspector that homeschooling was fine as long as it didn't interfere with the care of the DCKs.
I was told by another inspector that since I plan to work daily with my daughter at naptime, I would need a 2nd adult that mets all qualifications of a provider to watch the DCKs during that time. Thankfully, I made my husband take all the classes with me anyway, so he qualifies and is home at that time.
craftymissbeth 08:09 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
Also in Kansas...

My daughter will be homeschooled next year. She will fill one of my school age openings.
I was told by one inspector that homeschooling was fine as long as it didn't interfere with the care of the DCKs.
I was told by another inspector that since I plan to work daily with my daughter at naptime, I would need a 2nd adult that mets all qualifications of a provider to watch the DCKs during that time. Thankfully, I made my husband take all the classes with me anyway, so he qualifies and is home at that time.
See, that's weird to me considering we only need to check on them every 15 minutes and they only need to be within hearing distance while they sleep. So I can't imagine the necessity of having a second provider
sahm1225 11:58 AM 06-11-2013
Did you get the notice in the mail about the licensing updates? You might want to go see what it says, BUT I think it said that homeschool kids counted as your extended capacity as long as you had your assistant working with you.
sahm1225 12:02 PM 06-11-2013
http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...60000130R.html
jenn 12:20 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
See, that's weird to me considering we only need to check on them every 15 minutes and they only need to be within hearing distance while they sleep. So I can't imagine the necessity of having a second provider
I think it sounds weird too. I am beginning to think that a lot of the rules can be interpreted different ways, and each inspector has their own way of interpreting them. I have had different inspectors and the 2nd one had several things she didn't like (not write ups, just things she wanted changed) that the 1st one had no problems with.
originalkat 05:40 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I think it sounds weird too. I am beginning to think that a lot of the rules can be interpreted different ways, and each inspector has their own way of interpreting them. I have had different inspectors and the 2nd one had several things she didn't like (not write ups, just things she wanted changed) that the 1st one had no problems with.
Ya, I just ignore things that inspectors interpret on their own. Plus I give AS FEW details to the inspectors as possible. Because homeschooling does not have to happen during normal school hours anyway. It can be done evenings/weekends etc...
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up