Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hair issues
Unregistered 09:39 PM 08-07-2014
1yo dcg has hair down to her chin and I normally wouldn't care. If she wants to look like cousin it, fine by me. Here's the problem: she has a runny nose/sinus issues often so guess where that hair ends up. That's right, glued to her face.
I've used the tiny plastic hair ties and she mostly can't get those out but dcm complains that she has to cut them out at night. Dcm sends her with her hair tied back with the little cotton hairbands, but those don't last 10 minutes and then she's chewing on it.
Does anyone know of a magic trick to get her to leave her hair ties alone? Or know of some product that she wouldn't be able to pull out?
Play Care 04:34 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
1yo dcg has hair down to her chin and I normally wouldn't care. If she wants to look like cousin it, fine by me. Here's the problem: she has a runny nose/sinus issues often so guess where that hair ends up. That's right, glued to her face.
I've used the tiny plastic hair ties and she mostly can't get those out but dcm complains that she has to cut them out at night. Dcm sends her with her hair tied back with the little cotton hairbands, but those don't last 10 minutes and then she's chewing on it.
Does anyone know of a magic trick to get her to leave her hair ties alone? Or know of some product that she wouldn't be able to pull out?
I would continue to put her hair back with the rubber bands, but I would take out the band right before pick up. Problem solved.
Meyou 04:38 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I would continue to put her hair back with the rubber bands, but I would take out the band right before pick up. Problem solved.
Yep, I'd probably take them out right in from of Mom just to prove a point too.
Solandia 04:50 AM 08-08-2014
I have always used those little bands for hair on kids. I also just cut them out, by choice. They are so cheap, and there is no reason to pull them out of the hair...even if they pull out easily. Is mom trying to make it seem traumatic b/c she has to cut out a hair tie? I just don't see the issue that mom is trying to make out of it.
Unregistered 05:26 AM 08-08-2014
It's not that she's really trying to make an issue of the plastic ones, she just said they're a pain. We're both trying to come up with some solution. Dcg does the same thing at home and its just nasty! So yes, we're on the same page about this.
Blackcat31 05:35 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It's not that she's really trying to make an issue of the plastic ones, she just said they're a pain. We're both trying to come up with some solution. Dcg does the same thing at home and its just nasty! So yes, we're on the same page about this.
....so is cleaning the child's hair of all the snot and boogers.

I'd give mom a couple choices:

Figure out a way to secure child's hair back REALL WELL (i.e. the rubber bands THAT actually work)

or

She can come pick her child up every time that her hair gets crusted into her snot/boogers.

Mom doesn't get to complain about hair bands being a pain when she is allowing YOU to deal with HER child's issue.

It is HER (mom) responsibility to manage HER child's needs and right now, HER child needs her hair secured back for sanitary reasons.
Kabob 06:14 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
....so is cleaning the child's hair of all the snot and boogers.

I'd give mom a couple choices:

Figure out a way to secure child's hair back REALL WELL (i.e. the rubber bands THAT actually work)

or

She can come pick her child up every time that her hair gets crusted into her snot/boogers.

Mom doesn't get to complain about hair bands being a pain when she is allowing YOU to deal with HER child's issue.

It is HER (mom) responsibility to manage HER child's needs and right now, HER child needs her hair secured back for sanitary reasons.
Well said as usual.

There's always Option C: Getting dcg a haircut. Really, she's too young to care what her hair looks like and it will grow back. So if she can't leave hair ties alone and dcm won't use the rubber bands then short hair seems to be a good option.
Tdhmom 07:05 AM 08-08-2014
I think it's been said many times that kids listen a lot better to us than their own parents. I would just try being firm with her.

I had my dcg when she started back before she was 2 that would take her hair ties out and pull a lot of hair with it! As soon as I would catch her doing it I'd say "NO NO! You pull your hair with it. Please leave it in." After about a week she would quit trying altogether.
Unregistered 07:17 AM 08-08-2014
I've been trying that for about two weeks Tdhmom, but I think this may very well be the most stubborn child I've ever encountered! I say "no, no!" she pauses for a minute and waits for me to look away. As soon as I do, she pulls it out. She's only 12 months. I'm going to keep putting the plastic ones in, hope mom gets sick of cutting them out and cuts her hair.
AmyKidsCo 08:46 AM 08-08-2014

I'd keep using the little ones and leave them in. If mom doesn't like it she can figure out a solution.
Naptime yet? 09:49 AM 08-08-2014
They're a bit more expensive, but what about the elastic hair bands that are coated? If you use them just for her, then you can put her hair in a high ponytail in the morning & take it out before she leaves. And make the ponytail tight enough she can't get the band out.

Of course DCM may complain about the wave the ponytail makes in the back of dcg's hair, but it's better than snot & boogies.
daycarediva 10:23 AM 08-08-2014
I also use the plastic rubber bands. I would tell Mom that I will continue to use them until she finds a solution.

I have a dcg who chews her hair, and I do the same. It gets put into braids every.single.day. Dcm finally asked why the braids because undoing them was a pain, and I told her. Wet, nasty hair on everything is too gross.
spinnymarie 11:55 AM 08-08-2014
My kids hair will only stay in the tiny plastic ones as well. Seems like DCM should be the one putting the pony in in the morning too, but if you're ok doing I would just keep on doing it. And ignore her whining about cutting them out.
Unregistered 03:47 PM 08-08-2014
I put a plastic one in this morning and she tried several times to get it out, but she couldn't. That's what I'm going to keep doing, whiny mom or not!
renodeb 03:39 PM 08-09-2014
They do make hair bands that are ez to pull out. They were a life saver with my own daughter when she was little. (she has a lot of hair and I would have to cut them out).
Reply Up