Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Umm, not very hilarious
NoMoreJuice! 03:00 PM 01-24-2015
http://roseynews.com/32-kids-hilariously-picky-eaters/

Maybe I'm just in the wrong mood for this, or maybe I've been doing daycare too long, but this was NOT hilarious at all to me!

Especially #9..."And then make my mom make more"
KiddieCahoots 03:14 PM 01-24-2015
I cringed a little.
Doesn't seem so much like picky eaters as much as it is roost rulers.
Starburst 03:18 PM 01-24-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I cringed a little.
Doesn't seem so much like picky eaters as much as it is roost rulers.

That's what I was thinking with most of them, especially since the one child will only eat carrots at daycare.
racemom 04:28 PM 01-24-2015
All I can say is most of them are lucky not to be my kid. I have always had the philosophy that if you want to eat you will eat what I make. My son learned to like a lot of different foods that way. But eating was not a battle I cared about, you either eat or don't it doesn't matter to me. parents often worry their kids don't eat enough. I haven't seen any kids starve themselves around here!
permanentvacation 04:46 PM 01-24-2015
Those poor children would starve to death at my daycare! When I get a picky eater, I simply tell them, "Honey, that's lunch. Go ahead and eat." After about 3 or so days of refusing to eat and not getting their special requests, they start eating anything I give them!
Sunchimes 06:47 PM 01-24-2015
On Monday, when I serve breakfast, I'm going to hug each of my daycare kids while they are eating whatever I put in front of them. I've never had a picky eater. I've had special diets (peanut allergy and gf/df diets) but never a picky eater. Oh wait, I take that back. I have a temporary SA who eats only peanut butter and Gogurt. Not yogurt, Gogurt. On days school is out and he is here all day, mom sends his lunch. At snack each day, I offer it, he says yes or no, and that's the end of it. He's fine with it, Mom is fine with it, and I'm certainly fine with it. He won't be here long, so it's working.

I will take requests for meals. If a kid asks if we can have mac and cheese or chicken, I'll usually try to do it. I'm not on the food program, so it's no big deal. What I won't do is fix another meal if they come to the table and say, "I don't want spaghetti. I want chicken." It's never happened, but it might some day."

Still going to hug my easy eaters!
Silly Songs 06:50 PM 01-25-2015
The babies are cute. That is typical for newer eaters to age 2 . Some of those kids are about kindergarten age, or above. No longer cute .
Givingthemgrace 09:04 AM 01-26-2015
Haha! Some parent actually picked the breaking off of a chicken nugget...who has time for that?
Febby 11:07 AM 01-26-2015
I'm kind of a #28. I like the flavor of strawberries, but I can't stand the texture of them so I never eat them. Occasionally, I'll cook something with them though.

A lot of these seem like the results parents who don't know how to say no...
Controlled Chaos 12:18 PM 01-26-2015
I thought some were funny. Especially the one where the dog has to eat it first and food is better off the floor - that is totally my 15 month old lately If I forget to lock to dog out during meals she holds a bite out for him to lick, then eats it I have a giant newfoundland so his head is even with hers when she is in the high chair. Best nasty drooly friends those two

Normal and funny for a 2 or under. Older than that and I agree it has become a parenting issue.
Laurel 08:08 AM 01-27-2015
I thought they were mostly funny. I didn't take it as they are picky about all their food but we all have quirks.

When I was a kid I was like the little boy who didn't like my toast browned. My mom used to say "Here is your warm bread." I wasn't a picky eater overall. I like my toast brown now though.

I did have one request that I wouldn't do when I was a provider. I wouldn't peel grapes for a 4 year old. I told mom that she could send the grapes peeled if she wanted to but I wasn't going to do it. She said "I know we spoil him." Ya think???

Laurel
daycarediva 09:16 AM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I thought some were funny. Especially the one where the dog has to eat it first and food is better off the floor - that is totally my 15 month old lately If I forget to lock to dog out during meals she holds a bite out for him to lick, then eats it I have a giant newfoundland so his head is even with hers when she is in the high chair. Best nasty drooly friends those two

Normal and funny for a 2 or under. Older than that and I agree it has become a parenting issue.

Toddlers? normal. True dislikes? sure. (strawberries, my own ds hates them but loves every other fruit) I would give in to requests of black waffles if they phrased it right (asked politely!), or not burnt toast (I have a dcb that likes it burnt, I just turn up the toaster). Those seem like food preferences. Don't give me a well done steak or I'll send it back, and I'm not a picky eater.

Beyond that? endulged.
e.j. 10:04 AM 01-27-2015
I definitely see the humor in it but it's probably because I don't deal with any of it. My own kids learned early on that they had a choice between eating and not eating and my day care kids eventually learn it, too. No way would I cater to them for anything other than food allergies. It's funny and interesting to me to see how many food aversions kids have.
lovemykidstoo 10:45 AM 01-27-2015
Some are funny like the baby that won't eat off her plate, but will eat anything off the floor, but she's a baby!

My nephew literally ate bread and water until he was like 6. I used to care for him while my SIL worked. I made ham sandwiches for the kids one day and he threw a horrible fit saying he only liked bologna, NOT ham! He was about 4 at the time. So, I went in the kitchen, sliced the ham into a circle to resemble bologna, made the sandwich and told him it was bologna. He gobbled it down! Fooled him. We still laugh about it now and he's 16 years old.
Reply Up