Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling discouraged
Baby Beluga 01:54 PM 05-01-2015
Where oh where have all the good families gone?

I have had one spot that has been open FOREVER. It's my last spot and I want it full! However here are my issues:

1) Parents don't like to pay when their child is not present. As a fellow parent, I get this. However why do these same parents have no problem paying for a spot in a dance or gymnastics class but balk at doing that with childcare? Especially when those same parents specifically want small groups/one on one attention, etc. I had one mother email me saying she needed childcare 1-4 days per week and wanted to know if I "would be flexible with that?" When I explained my 52 weeks policy she was pissed.

2) I live in a town of about 10k people. There are so many in home providers it is ridiculous. Craigslist is inundated with ads. Facebook is loaded with daycare groups and the same people are re-posting their ads days in and out.

3) Parents want long hours, like 12 hours a day.

4) People wanting special. 'Nuff said on that one. I actually have one mom who is on my waiting list so I could technically fill that last spot, but likely at the cost of my sanity. Mom is nice, kiddo is nice but mom wanted special (single mom said she "relied on her babysitters - her word not mine - because she is a single mom)

This was more of a vent then anything else. Maybe a little plea for some encouragement

On the plus side, the families I currently have are wonderful.
Josiegirl 03:26 PM 05-01-2015
I hear you. I went a year with one empty slot. Then I got a couple calls that worked out and now I've got pregnant moms and freshly made sibs of current dcks waiting for spots.
It'll happen. Feast or famine, remember?
We seem to be inundated with centers around where I live. And More keep opening. Thankfully there are still families around who want the home atmosphere for their kids.

What kinds of special did the single mom want? Maybe it'd be worth taking her on a trial basis, if you really need to fill your last spot. If you stuck to your hours and policies, it couldn't work out? Just a thought....
NightOwl 03:43 PM 05-01-2015
If you can afford to be picky, then be picky! That's the beauty of this profession. We can choose our clients. If it's not killing you financially, then just sit on that empty spot. The right family WILL come, it's just a matter of when.

If you can't afford it, then fill it now and continue looking. There's nothing saying you can't replace a problem family when a more stable, responsible family comes along.

Keep your chin up. It'll happen for you!
Baby Beluga 06:36 AM 05-04-2015
Thanks Wednesday - thankfully at this point it is not a financial issue. However, I am terrified that one day it will be and this is a big reason why that last spot is just killing me remaining open.

Josie - the mom had an issue with hours, a contracted pick up and drop off times and my illness policy. Here previous provider would allow sick children to attend so the mom was a little hesitant regarding my policy.
AmyKidsCo 09:09 AM 05-04-2015
I hear you! I have never, ever been 100% full. Right now is the closest, and I've still got 2 days open, plus s FT 3 yr old leaving at the end of the month.
Starburst 09:24 AM 05-04-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
4) People wanting special. 'Nuff said on that one. I actually have one mom who is on my waiting list so I could technically fill that last spot, but likely at the cost of my sanity. Mom is nice, kiddo is nice but mom wanted special (single mom said she "relied on her babysitters - her word not mine - because she is a single mom)
That seems to be the biggest thing lately, that everyone is a single parent and need more help. In some ways I do get that it is harder on only one income, my mom was a single mom often working as a waitress and sometimes a restaurant manager. But alot of times that seems to also be the ones who take advantage by playing the pitty card.

The first single mom I nannied for, I watched her kid sometimes up to 8 days in a row for a low flat rate that even home daycare would charge more for and was often late with payment. She wound up skippong town and not paying me the last two weeks. The recent single mom I nanny for has a special needs child and she is great, but he can be a handful and I only get $5/hr (she says that's all she can afford for three days up to 15 hours a day) and my weekends are completely gone unless she is sick, which makes it hard to take any CCR&R classes since they are always on Saturdays.

But there are lots of single parents out there nowadays many expect special treatment and many who don't want charity or pitty. Every family has their own struggles, even if both parents are present and together. if everyone got special treatmeant, it would be special.
Shell 09:31 AM 05-04-2015
I recently turned away two families: one wanted long hours and the other gave the vibe of wanting special and wanted to negotiate on my policies.
It's hurting me financially- but I think it's better to be happy and have families that are respectful.
Blackcat31 09:31 AM 05-04-2015
Hang in there..... Sending TONS of good luck vibes and wishes for incoming calls that are worth answering!

Thriftylady 11:42 AM 05-04-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hang in there..... Sending TONS of good luck vibes and wishes for incoming calls that are worth answering!

Send some of those vibes this way also!
Reply Up