Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with Paperwork
midaycare 07:04 AM 10-19-2016
I keep reading about how strict everyone's rules are about paperwork re: the kids, and this is really where I struggle. I barely know who my licensing rep is, and have only contacted her once a year to tell her when I'm going on vacation.

I have a renewal coming up and I want to be really organized for that (about 6 months from now), but I need to get my files together better.

I have a few questions:

1) For those that use Minute Menu, do you enter all information into it, including vaccinations? Is it enough just to have the paper files that include everything, or do you enter everything in MM, too?

2) Vaccinations - I have no clue when everything is due - what ages, and how many shots, even what vaccines are required. How do you keep track of this? In MM, I see a place to put a reminder, but I don't believe it "knows" to alert you when a vaccine is missing by a particular age. I do have all the vaccine paperwork, and everyone is up to date (or the doctor marks it down on the health forms). I'm just unsure of how to keep track of vaccines going forward.

3) Does anyone have a sheet they use that states all the important info from the paperwork for easy reference? Like a sheet that lists name, address, vaccines, dr, etc.? I'm looking for something like this in my files, since each contract and the paperwork is about 35-40 pages, and when I get renewed, I don't want my state rep having to search through tons of paperwork.

How do you all do it? I'm feeling overwhelmed. Which is silly, since I used to be a Business Manager and basically did paperwork for a living. Just not this type. I don't know why I'm so bad at this!
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 10-19-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I keep reading about how strict everyone's rules are about paperwork re: the kids, and this is really where I struggle. I barely know who my licensing rep is, and have only contacted her once a year to tell her when I'm going on vacation.

I have a renewal coming up and I want to be really organized for that (about 6 months from now), but I need to get my files together better.

I have a few questions:

1) For those that use Minute Menu, do you enter all information into it, including vaccinations? Is it enough just to have the paper files that include everything, or do you enter everything in MM, too?
I don't take full advantage of MMK I guess because I use it strictly for recording meals and snacks only. I do use it for accounting purposes but not to invoice parents or produce receipts etc. Just as a method of tracking expenses and income.

I have not used it to track attendance, vaccines or other things like that. I keep meaning to "check it out" more but don't seem to ever get around to it.

2) Vaccinations - I have no clue when everything is due - what ages, and how many shots, even what vaccines are required. How do you keep track of this? In MM, I see a place to put a reminder, but I don't believe it "knows" to alert you when a vaccine is missing by a particular age. I do have all the vaccine paperwork, and everyone is up to date (or the doctor marks it down on the health forms). I'm just unsure of how to keep track of vaccines going forward.
I use the immunization forms my state provides. Parents fill them out and sign/date them. They bring "update" sheets to me when their child gets an immunization that was not already listed.

We do have an app here called "My Chart" where parents can access information to their child's medical information directly from home. They can track and print whatever is needed.

I don't track when imms are due or overdue for parents as its not something I am really required to do. Here we can accept non-vax'ed kids (for any reason) into care at our discretion so tracking isn't something that is strict as far as child care goes.

Periodically, I will go through the kids' files and make sure ALL info (not just immunizations) is up to date and current. IIRC, 75% of all the immunizations needed are due in the first 2 years of life so anyone over 2 is easy to track if I needed to. I can only have 3-4 kids under age 2 anyways.

3) Does anyone have a sheet they use that states all the important info from the paperwork for easy reference? Like a sheet that lists name, address, vaccines, dr, etc.? I'm looking for something like this in my files, since each contract and the paperwork is about 35-40 pages, and when I get renewed, I don't want my state rep having to search through tons of paperwork.
I have a state admit form that lists ALL parent and child info. Dr and dentist, as well as insurance info. Emergency contact info and what services are provided. I think it mentions transportation services too but I don't offer them so I have never paid much attention to that section.

The state supplies the form for us. We also have other paperwork that is required to keep in each child's file but those forms are up to us to create/find etc.

How do you all do it? I'm feeling overwhelmed. Which is silly, since I used to be a Business Manager and basically did paperwork for a living. Just not this type. I don't know why I'm so bad at this!
I paperwork!

I have check lists for my check lists.

I am always told how organized I am but to be 100% truthful, I know I can "appear" that way but it's actually more of an organized chaos situation.
morgan24 07:59 AM 10-19-2016

I have a few questions:

I use a notebook with clear sheet protectors for each child the top is the child info card and the back page is the child in care statement so all my licensing rep has to do is turn the page to see them. In between is my signed contract. I'm a family home so I'm not required to keep their vaccine records yet. I think it will be coming and I'll add another sheet protector for that for each child. It makes it easy so they don't have to take the papers out and look at them. I put my fire drill and tornado sheets in one and all my training records in one. That is all the paperwork I've ever been asked for.
midaycare 09:40 AM 10-19-2016
Thanks BC and Morgan!

BC you're crazy to love paperwork!
LostMyMarbles 10:18 AM 10-19-2016
I use minute menu for attendance. ONLY because my state requires us to check in/check out for food program. They want to make sure we are all on the up and up. (Seriously I am sure people do still lie on it)

I have a three ring binder with the deviders. Each family has their own section. I have all paper work in the same order for each family. It is easier for me to flip to family C in a binder than to find it on a computer. We are required to have hard copies still.

I spilled coffee on my laptop and lost all records, so I love my binder.

I also have a binder with deviders labeled, food program, renewal, discipline policy, transportation permission slip, medication permission slips, " the naughty file" ( that's for those home visits where you need to do a corrective plan of action) etc.

We are required to have hard copies of discipline, transportation, permission slips, etc. here.

There is a check list on line of things you need to do or have done. It's under the provider section on the website. I get one sent every year for a check list for the surprise visits by licensing.

I don't use MM for my income, expenses. I was told that the FP can't see that part of my MM, but who knows. I have excel for that. I also invested in a receipt scanner. I downloaded a program that keeps my expenses there, with copies of receipts to back up my claims.
284878 11:51 AM 10-19-2016

I have a few questions:

I use mm for fp only and keep all state required hard copies. I keep current families in a binder. Each family has a folder in the binder with all their paper work. (Info card, state receipt, FP, contract, Vac record, copy of all communication....) Old families get filed away for the required number of years.

Check out http://www2a.cdc.gov/nip/kidstuff/newscheduler_le/

or

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/...sch-0-6yrs.pdf

I request all families to bring me an updated vac sheet every fall.

If you go into the mm program, there is a worksheet option that allows you to print all your kids and info, that might be what you are looking for. (note the forms on the mm computer app are different than the forms in the browser)

Go to
http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/brs_cdc/sr_lfl.asp

find yourself and click on state report, our consultant name should be on your inspection report.
However, I just got a letter letting me know that I got a new consultant.
midaycare 12:18 PM 10-19-2016
Thank you!
Unregistered 02:37 PM 10-19-2016
Here (MN) we are required to check an infant's immunization record every 6 months, a toddler's every year, a preschooler's every 18 months, and a school-ager's every 3 years.
I don't want to remember all that, so I just look through them all whenever an infant has their immunizations. I always have an infant, so typically I run through them every few months and make a note/read my notes for each child. Takes 5-10 minutes.
I have an update for for parents to use at well child visits.
AmyKidsCo 05:38 PM 10-19-2016

To be honest, after 20+ years in FCC I still struggle to keep up with paperwork.

1. I don't put immunizations in MMK because I need to have them on a certain form for licensing already so I save time by not duplicating the info in MMK.

2. Wunderlist app. I LOVE it!! I use it as my To Do list for EVERYTHING. It took a while to put all the immunizations in and set reminders but once they're in they'll stay there until it's time for Wunderlist to send a reminder. I have it set for app and email reminders. LOVE IT!!

3. In WI we have to use their forms for all of that so my licensor has to look through everything no matter what. But I do have a chart listing all the required forms and dates they need updating. The plan was to check the chart every month so I know what's coming up, but in reality I check every 2-3 months and rely on Wunderlist to remind me.

Another hint - we're required to have a Health Report signed by a Dr every 6 mos for under-2s and every 2 years for over-2s. Instead of keeping track I have the parents take one in at every check-up.
midaycare 06:17 PM 10-19-2016
More good tips, thanks! And I will check on Wunderlist
Reply Up