Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Daycare in A Rental - Washington State
JessyM 03:15 PM 04-17-2016
Hi everybody,

I'm living in California right now, but my husband and I are thinking of moving to Seattle Area. My plan is to open a home based daycare. I know the landlord/ tenant legislation in California, but I don't know anything about the legislation in Washingtion State.

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me and shed light on what Washington law says about daycares in rentals.

PS : I will be in Seattle next week, I will be pleased to meet up and to discuss about home daycare business in Seattle area!
Michael 07:09 PM 04-17-2016
Welcome to the forum. Here are Washington's State Requirements: https://www.daycare.com/washington/
spedmommy4 09:32 PM 04-17-2016
I used to work in Washington. Unlike California, there are no laws that say landlords can't forbid home based childcare. Your best bet is to find one who doesn't mind. In my experience, private landlords are more likely to work with you than management companies. Unless you buy a home, your ability to open a home based childcare will be at the discretion of the home owner once you move.
rachellep 02:01 PM 06-11-2019
Originally Posted by JessyM:
Hi everybody,

I'm living in California right now, but my husband and I are thinking of moving to Seattle Area. My plan is to open a home based daycare. I know the landlord/ tenant legislation in California, but I don't know anything about the legislation in Washingtion State.

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me and shed light on what Washington law says about daycares in rentals.

PS : I will be in Seattle next week, I will be pleased to meet up and to discuss about home daycare business in Seattle area!
Hi Jessy,
My husband and I are in the same situation that you mentioned in your post (we are living in California and planning to move back to Seattle where I want to open a daycare). I'm curious if you did it and if you have any insight or advice. Where you able to find a landlord willing to let you operate a daycare out of the rental?
Many thanks for your thoughts!
JennC 09:58 PM 09-30-2019
Hi rachellep,

My husband and I recently bought a house in Issaquah, and our realtor said that our house would be perfect with the bottom level rented out to a daycare as we have a big yard. The only reason we are considering renting to a daycare is because we have a 9 month old.

I was just wondering where to find someone or on what is required for running an in-home daycare. Which area are you looking into? Will you be interested to learn more about our place?
Aryamina 01:39 PM 10-18-2019
i am interested in finding someone renting their home for someone who wants to run a licensed and insured home daycare.
looking in Bellevue,redmond or Kirkland
Tags:home daycare, landlord, laws, rental, seattle, washington regulations
Reply Up