Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 PM
False Sense Of Authority

Angry Makes Me Not Want To Do This Anymore....(VENT)

So apparently I'm not friendly enough...

The parent of a 3 year old who just moved to my class said this to my director this evening. The 2 year old teacher is extremely sweet and friendly. I often hear this when a child transitions to me from that classroom.

That's just not my nature. I have 17 children in my am preschool class and ten in my pm one. Granted that a few of them are related, that gives me about 23 separate families. Yet, I greet each parent or pickup person by name, share a tidbit about the child's day and cheerily send them about their business. Pickup is a VERY busy time, as we transport children to and from home.

No, I don't stand there for 5-10 minutes ignoring the other children and incoming parents to talk to one. No, I don't delve into their personal lives or give them details about mine. No, I don't sugarcoat when there's a problem with their child.

I guess if that makes me not a friendly person and that's how I need to be, then maybe childcare isn't my bag...
Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm not overly friendly either. I keep my drop offs and pick ups short. I chat for a few minutes and that it is, even if I have to cut them off, if it starts to get personal.

I'm alot like you are on keeping my personal life to myself and I expect the same of them, unless it concerns their child. I like the kids and I like taking care of them. I'm not here to be their friend or their sounding board. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee View Post
So apparently I'm not friendly enough...

The parent of a 3 year old who just moved to my class said this to my director this evening. The 2 year old teacher is extremely sweet and friendly. I often hear this when a child transitions to me from that classroom.

That's just not my nature. I have 17 children in my am preschool class and ten in my pm one. Granted that a few of them are related, that gives me about 23 separate families. Yet, I greet each parent or pickup person by name, share a tidbit about the child's day and cheerily send them about their business. Pickup is a VERY busy time, as we transport children to and from home.

No, I don't stand there for 5-10 minutes ignoring the other children and incoming parents to talk to one. No, I don't delve into their personal lives or give them details about mine. No, I don't sugarcoat when there's a problem with their child.

I guess if that makes me not a friendly person and that's how I need to be, then maybe childcare isn't my bag...
What are the ratios in the 2 year old room that may play a bigger role than just personality
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM
False Sense Of Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare View Post
What are the ratios in the 2 year old room that may play a bigger role than just personality
Same as mine, 1-10. But Im just lead, not the only teacher...I have both an am assistant and a pm assistant...I'm NEVER out of ratio. All 27 of them are never there at the same time, and if they ever were, all three of us would be on hand.

...you may be right though. The two year old class has a lot fewer kids, and is a lot less busy - maybe the teacher actually has the time engage the parents like that.

During that time, I'm serving snack, supervising homework, cleaning up, managing dismissals, engaging the CHILDREN...I thought that accounted for more.

Tags
parent - unrealistic expectations, vent