Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM
MsLaura529's Avatar
MsLaura529 MsLaura529 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 850
Default Is It Too Much To Ask ...?

for toys to be able to stay in their "area"??

I have large areas allotted for cars/trains/trucks, another area for our "house", another area for puzzles/blocks/cards, and another area for books ... how do these things always end up spread out all over the room?

I know with my last rearranging of furniture, it has provided way too much open space (hence the problems of constantly running and not being able to stay in one area to play with the toys).

I just wish there was an easy way to arrange it all into centers without me having to buy more shelves. Right now I use the Trofast storage system from Ikea and have 2 of those ... I think I maybe want to get another one.

Ugh, that's all ... just rambling.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

I hear you!!! I like my playrooom organized and clean.

The problem is I see a dress up hat that should go in the dress up section, DCK sees a spaceship and puts it transportation.

I gave up... It is their room until 6pm, then I can sort again.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Second Home's Avatar
Second Home Second Home is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,569
Default

Maybe get some colored foam mats ,use a different color for each play area. Much easier for the little ones to learn where they should play with certain items .
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

My kiddos play happily, engaged and focused for literally hours on end. The toys end up everywhere. Then we clean them up.

Everyone is happier and plays better when they aren't being run after for a hundred different rules.
__________________
Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post

I gave up... It is their room until 6pm, then I can sort again.
That ^^^^ was seriously THE hardest lesson I have had to learn about being a parent and about being a provider.

Needing the room neat and clean, needing the toys to be sorted and organized into nicely staged areas and settings was MY issue/need.

I look back now at some of the toys my own kids had and how little use they had and realize now it was because I was so bent on making sure it was kept clean, organized and sorted...and of course, expected it to be played in the correct manner... so it was easier for my kids to not play with something that to follow the rules.

When I first opened my daycare, I drove myself batty trying to keep things in their appropriate areas, kept in perfect condition and put away and played with according to directions.

I am past that now. Thank goodness...

Me = no more stressing about it all
The kids = get to PLAY. Deeply, wholly and FREELY.

*I do think there should be a support group though for former addicts*
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM
MsLaura529's Avatar
MsLaura529 MsLaura529 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 850
Default

I'm fine with them playing with things in different ways, and I'm not following them around with a ton of rules ... I just feel like right now, with the group I have, they are having trouble being focused on playing with something. They will start to play with the cars, see someone putting dress up on, bring a hsndful of cars over to the dress up, dump the bins out, put something on (or drag a trail of dress up items) bsck over to the cars ... and then stop on the way to stack 3 blocks, but dumping the whole bin out...And then they end up chasing each other around running and screaming. And this all happens within a span of 2 minutes ... I don't know, maybe I am being too picky. And I know they're 2-3 yr olds and they're not going to sit and play with a toy for a long time ... I just wish they could do so for at least 5 minutes, put it away when they're done, and THEN move on to something different.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLaura529 View Post
I'm fine with them playing with things in different ways, and I'm not following them around with a ton of rules ... I just feel like right now, with the group I have, they are having trouble being focused on playing with something. They will start to play with the cars, see someone putting dress up on, bring a hsndful of cars over to the dress up, dump the bins out, put something on (or drag a trail of dress up items) bsck over to the cars ... and then stop on the way to stack 3 blocks, but dumping the whole bin out...And then they end up chasing each other around running and screaming. And this all happens within a span of 2 minutes ... I don't know, maybe I am being too picky. And I know they're 2-3 yr olds and they're not going to sit and play with a toy for a long time ... I just wish they could do so for at least 5 minutes, put it away when they're done, and THEN move on to something different.
Sounds like there are too many choices.

I would put 2-3 choices out for them to choose from.

What I did to "teach" my DCK's about playing for longer periods was to set out the 2-3 choices available at that time.

Then I set the timer for 30-45 minutes. NO TOY/ACTIVITY changes until the bell went off. If they didn't want to play anymore before the bell went off, they just observed the others until it was time to change activities

Now, I don't use the timer anymore and the kids choose what they want to play and they play deep now. They often play for more than an hour.

Sometimes, someone will say "Is it tine to change toys yet?"...usually after a LONG time so...

That's all I have. Less choices, more time.

Rotate the choices weekly, monthly, daily....whatever works for you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Angelsj's Avatar
Angelsj Angelsj is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
My kiddos play happily, engaged and focused for literally hours on end. The toys end up everywhere. Then we clean them up.

Everyone is happier and plays better when they aren't being run after for a hundred different rules.
Exactly. Let them play.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 AM
MissAnn's Avatar
MissAnn MissAnn is offline
Preschool Teacher
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLaura529 View Post
for toys to be able to stay in their "area"??

I have large areas allotted for cars/trains/trucks, another area for our "house", another area for puzzles/blocks/cards, and another area for books ... how do these things always end up spread out all over the room?

I know with my last rearranging of furniture, it has provided way too much open space (hence the problems of constantly running and not being able to stay in one area to play with the toys).

I just wish there was an easy way to arrange it all into centers without me having to buy more shelves. Right now I use the Trofast storage system from Ikea and have 2 of those ... I think I maybe want to get another one.

Ugh, that's all ... just rambling.
I have a doorbell I keep in the playroom. I have the button in my living room. When I see lots of toys dumped, I ring the doorbell as a que to stop and pick up toys that are not being used. Every one helps.....this is called teamwork. Works for me anyway!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
organization, rotating toys, toys - how many, vent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:34 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming