Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is this safe for babies?
Indianadaycare 06:17 AM 12-18-2014
Hi everyone I have a couple of babies that are mouthing everything. I keep a one gallon bucket close by with one capful of bleach to use for disinfecting the toys that are mouthed.
Do you think it's okay if I use a clean cloth dipped in that disinfecting solution to wipe down a toy as it gets mouthed and give it to another baby BEFORE it has air dried? (the typical way I disinfect is to soak toy for 5-10 minutes and let it air dry before putting it back in the play area)
Just wondering because they mouth EVERY toy while playing and it seems impossible when they are right next to each other to remove the toy, put it in the solution, air dry it.... all toys would be gone in 10 minutes! KWIM? However, I am sitting there with them, so I could have the cloth in hand at least, and wipe it down when they set it down (before the next baby picks up and mouths it)
Your thoughts?
jenboo 06:51 AM 12-18-2014
Originally Posted by Indianadaycare:
Hi everyone I have a couple of babies that are mouthing everything. I keep a one gallon bucket close by with one capful of bleach to use for disinfecting the toys that are mouthed.
Do you think it's okay if I use a clean cloth dipped in that disinfecting solution to wipe down a toy as it gets mouthed and give it to another baby BEFORE it has air dried? (the typical way I disinfect is to soak toy for 5-10 minutes and let it air dry before putting it back in the play area)
Just wondering because they mouth EVERY toy while playing and it seems impossible when they are right next to each other to remove the toy, put it in the solution, air dry it.... all toys would be gone in 10 minutes! KWIM? However, I am sitting there with them, so I could have the cloth in hand at least, and wipe it down when they set it down (before the next baby picks up and mouths it)
Your thoughts?
I'm pretty sure it needs to air dry first and you need to use a water/bleach mixture.
I also think they will be fine if you don't disinfect Evey single time. I would do it as much as possible if you want, but leave them a few toys to play with.
Crazy8 07:05 AM 12-18-2014
I have two who are mouthing EVERYTHING right now!! I wouldn't wipe and give right back with a bleach solution - I think its important that it is rinsed and then dried. But I also don't fret and throw everything in the "to be cleaned" bucket the minute it touches a mouth. When they are going thru this stage I also limit the number of small mouthable toys available to them. Like I will take out the 40 little people and just leave them with 10. I take the plastic blocks out for a while cause those are gross filled with saliva when mouthed, etc. etc.
CraftyMom 07:10 AM 12-18-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I'm pretty sure it needs to air dry first and you need to use a water/bleach mixture.
I also think they will be fine if you don't disinfect Evey single time. I would do it as much as possible if you want, but leave them a few toys to play with.
How many babies do you have? I have 2 and I separated the toys into 2 bins, one for each baby. I try to keep them separate, but if they pick up the other baby's toy I figure they'll be fine.

What you are suggesting sounds like a lot of work, to sit by them and wipe down each toy every time they put it down in case the other one picks it up.

Also the bleach solution needs to fully air dry for the disinfection process to be complete. I work in a medical facility as well and we wash our equipment with bleach solution. Protocol is for it to not be touched until fully air dried or it is re-contaminated and must be bleached again.

Also, you are taking a chance of the child ingesting bleach, regardless of how small the amount is, if not dry they would have bleach on their hands and clothes and put it in their mouth. After several times like you are suggesting that is a lot of bleach for an infant to mouth.

So IMO, no I would not do this
Angelsj 07:35 AM 12-18-2014
Your thoughts?

None of that sounds safe to be honest. I seriously would not worry about it at all. Let the babies play. As long as both are reasonably healthy, they are not going to cause any problems. Disinfect their toys at the end of the day, air dry and replace for the next day.
Having an open bucket around with any bleach in it seems like a bad idea.
Indianadaycare 07:48 AM 12-18-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
How many babies do you have? I have 2 and I separated the toys into 2 bins, one for each baby. I try to keep them separate, but if they pick up the other baby's toy I figure they'll be fine.

What you are suggesting sounds like a lot of work, to sit by them and wipe down each toy every time they put it down in case the other one picks it up.

Also the bleach solution needs to fully air dry for the disinfection process to be complete. I work in a medical facility as well and we wash our equipment with bleach solution. Protocol is for it to not be touched until fully air dried or it is re-contaminated and must be bleached again.

Also, you are taking a chance of the child ingesting bleach, regardless of how small the amount is, if not dry they would have bleach on their hands and clothes and put it in their mouth. After several times like you are suggesting that is a lot of bleach for an infant to mouth.

So IMO, no I would not do this
I have three babies, and that's exactly what I was wondering; if it was too much bleach for ingestion and also if it's considered disinfected if I am wiping and not letting it air dry.

And yes, I know there is a happy medium somewhere... It WOULD be a lot of work to sit there as they play - not possible all the time of course. I know there are germs spreading that are unavoidable... just trying to minimize!

My bleach solution is up high on the counter; no where near babies.

Your input has been very helpful! Thanks ladies! I'd love to hear how others try and keep baby toys that are mouthed disinfected/clean, etc and how often you disinfect.
preschoolteacher 08:08 AM 12-18-2014
I think that sounds unsafe. You don't want to risk any child ingesting any bleach. Having an open bucket, even high up, also sounds dangerous. What if it spilled? Are you inhaling fumes?

I put any toys that go in the mouth in a wash bucket. I get to the bucket once it's full, it could be a few days. I wash most of it in the dishwasher. No bleach.

Honestly, they're building up strong little immune systems by putting everything in their mouths. Sucking on a toy covered in bleach residue is way more detrimental.
craftymissbeth 08:12 AM 12-18-2014
I have three babies, and that's exactly what I was wondering; if it was too much bleach for ingestion and also if it's considered disinfected if I am wiping and not letting it air dry.

And yes, I know there is a happy medium somewhere... It WOULD be a lot of work to sit there as they play - not possible all the time of course. I know there are germs spreading that are unavoidable... just trying to minimize!

My bleach solution is up high on the counter; no where near babies.

Your input has been very helpful! Thanks ladies! I'd love to hear how others try and keep baby toys that are mouthed disinfected/clean, etc and how often you disinfect.
What do your regs say about where cleaning supplies need to be stored? In my state, cleaning supplies (this would include the bucket of bleach solution) have to be locked away at all times unless they are actively in use. I was told by my surveyor last year that it's ok to have my laundry supplies (bleach included) in the cabinet above my washer even though it's not locked, though... I would just make sure to follow regs.

Even if it's not against regs, I wouldn't leave a bleach solution on the counter. My process goes like this: after a child is done mouthing a toy it goes in a covered bucket that is on a shelf the children can't reach and then those toys are placed in a bleach solution at the end of the day (and then rinsed and air dried afterward).

If disinfecting toys throughout the day works for you then by all means do that, but it really is easier for me to do the bucket at the end of the day all at once.

ETA: the covered bucket that the toys go into does not contain any liquid.
Wednesday! 08:19 AM 12-18-2014
A 1 to 100 bleach mixture isn't toxic, but I still don't think I'd do it. I agree that I would just let them play. If you see a discarded toy covered in drool, throw it in the kitchen sink to clean later, but don't stress over disinfecting every toy between every exchange. You'll make yourself nuts. Clean them at the end of the day, or maybe at naptime AND the end of the day.
LysesKids 08:26 AM 12-18-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
A 1 to 100 bleach mixture isn't toxic, but I still don't think I'd do it. I agree that I would just let them play. If you see a discarded toy covered in drool, throw it in the kitchen sink to clean later, but don't stress over disinfecting every toy between every exchange. You'll make yourself nuts. Clean them at the end of the day, or maybe at naptime AND the end of the day.
This is why I use Benefect... just spray down toys, changing mat etc, no rinsing or wiping required; Non toxic but very Spendy. Like $50 gallon including shipping
Wednesday! 08:28 AM 12-18-2014
Whew, that's steep! Greenworks is also good as a nontoxic cleaner. But here, state requires bleach. So I use Greenworks throughout the day and bleach in the evening for sanitizing.
CraftyMom 08:48 AM 12-18-2014
Here we can also use Clorox wipes, but it has to be followed by wiping again with water
SignMeUp 10:59 AM 12-18-2014
Any of my infant toys that are washable just go in hot soapy water in the kitchen sink with the dishes. I've never felt the need to bleach them every day, since I don't bleach their dishes. I might sometimes use a bleach rinse if everyone's sick, and also do at the end of the week when I sanitize all of the toys.
I keep a little bin for each infant's toys, though at a certain age there is some back-and-forth. Once they are mobile enough to be on the floor for the majority of the day, all bets are off because they play with all of the under-3 toys at that point.
jenboo 11:22 AM 12-18-2014
I pretty much bleach when sick and that's it.
BabyMonkeys 03:22 PM 12-18-2014
I have 3 under 1. There is no way that I would be able to clean them after every mouthing! Thankfully we rarely get sick around here
LysesKids 03:22 AM 12-19-2014
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
I have 3 under 1. There is no way that I would be able to clean them after every mouthing! Thankfully we rarely get sick around here
I have 3 under 1 and one 18 month old lol...
lovemykidstoo 11:17 AM 12-19-2014
Looks like you've already gotten the info that you were looking for. I just wanted to add, that I take the smaller toys and put them in a lingerie bag and throw them in the dishwasher. Works like a charm. I also do not clean toys as they're mouthed. Those poor kids wouldn't have any toys left lol.
ColorfulSunburst 12:22 PM 12-19-2014
Any toy that I take from a mouth of any child will not return back during a current day because "toys don't like if some one put them into a mouth and if that happen they get offence and go away". I wash them after business hours and then return back to the play room.
Indianadaycare 07:42 PM 12-20-2014
Thanks everyone. You've been very helpful. The method I've used/described was taken step by step from a highly regarded daycare/preschool in Nashville TN, where my daughter worked for a time. Right down to the bleach/water solution in a bucket on a counter (far away from the children, like mine) followed by air drying.
I find it interesting that each state has their own (different from other states) regulations... but I wonder why some say bleach, some say no bleach, etc.
Reply Up