Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Parents: Your Opinions Please
Unregistered 01:37 PM 02-16-2012
I like to cook meals for my family dinner when the kids are sleeping at naptime. As parents, what are your thoughts if you were to pick up your child and smell dinner every night?

I know this sounds like a silly question but I don't want the parents to think I am cooking all day instead of watching their kids. Just looking for your thoughts.
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:59 PM 02-16-2012
I wonder the same thing too!

But by the time time my last child leaves, and start supper, it's 6:30 - 7pm by the time we eat and my hubby said no more. Start supper at your usual time.

I really would like a parents honest opinion too!
Heidi 03:39 PM 02-16-2012
I'm a provider, but I honestly wouldn't care WHAT they think on this one....we need to eat, man!
Cat Herder 06:04 PM 02-16-2012
My clients comment on how wonderful the house smells all the time at pick-up. They occasionally ask whats for dinner and for recipes.

I have been known to send home a treat bag/go box (or two) for parents with a particular favorite dish or with a spouse in night school and on their own for the night....
MissK 09:20 AM 02-17-2012
As a daycare parent (working on becoming a provider!) I wouldn't think twice about my providers home smelling like dinner. I pick up at 5:20ish and I know a lot of families sit down to dinner at 5:30-6:00 (mine included)...good for them for having the time to make a nice dinner for their family! I too would probably ask whats for dinner and maybe even the recipe
melskids 10:19 AM 02-17-2012
I'm a provider.

The majority of our meals are ALL home cooked from scratch. My parents know I cook, whether its breakfast or lunch for their kids, or starting diner for mine.

And besides, its part of the "family" atmosphere in a home daycare. Kids should see you cook and clean. They can help too.
Meyou 10:46 AM 02-17-2012
My parents usually ask me what's cooking tonight. They don't mind at all. They know I start dinner around 430 every day because I tell them in our interview.
mickey2 11:09 AM 02-17-2012
My parents all get a weekly menu with everything I am serving to the children each day. Breakfast, am snack, lunch and pm snack. All are homemade from scratch even the snacks unless it is cheese and crackers or something like that.

I prepare our dinner each day and it is cooking when the parents pick up. It is their child's lunch for tomorrow! It always smells heavenly in here and I am always getting compliments.
nannyde 12:35 PM 02-17-2012
My parents LOVE it. They know what they are smelling is going to land on their kids plate. Of course we cook our meals during the day. I
cheerfuldom 01:03 PM 02-17-2012
I start dinner here as well since the last kid doesn't leave till at least 5:30, sometimes later. I figured, if the parents have a problem with it, they will speak up otherwise I am just going to get dinner on the table and thats that. At this point, I wouldn't change what I am doing anyway so I guess it doesn't matter to me what the parents think. If I wait till all the kids leave, we wouldn't be eating till 7 or 7:30 as I like to have home cooked meals, not quick junk food meals.
Lilbutterflie 01:59 PM 02-17-2012
My parents always comment on how good it smells and ask what we are having for dinner! None of them have had any problems with it.

And one parent asked me one day how I have time to cook such nice nutritious meals for lunch; and I told her that we cook meals for dinner that have enough left over for lunch the next day. So they know that the good smellin' stuff they smell when they pick up their child will be lunch the next day!
3girls 09:51 AM 04-06-2012
I also cook dinner while children are still here.

On the nights we have an activity at 6, my children are eating dinner during pick up.
Tags:dinner - time, meals provided
Reply Up