Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teaching baby to hold her bottle
Indianadaycare 03:25 PM 08-09-2014
How do you teach your dcb to hold her/his bottle? Any props used? When I have to feed three babies, it sure would help if they could learn to hold their bottle! I would remain sitting next to them, but just need that third hand! Do you sit on the floor with them while they recline on a boppy? Prop up in an infant seat? What works for you? And finally, what age do you expect your dcb to hold his bottle, or learn to?
renodeb 03:32 PM 08-09-2014
I usually dont "teach a child to hold there bottle but they start doing it on there own around 6-8 mos. I usually hold the babies when there drinking there bottles sometimes they sit in a seat or boppy. We arent allowed to prop in any way. I try and space out the feedings so I' am not feeding two babies at a time.
bananas 04:26 PM 08-09-2014
Some babies learn and some don't. My daughter could hold a bottle at 4 months old for herself, but I've had a 16 month old DCG who could not hold her own bottle (or cup!) at 16 months....
LysesKids 04:53 PM 08-09-2014
we aren't allowed to prop either... most mine start trying about 5 months old, but by law I have to hold it until they can which could mean until almost 6 or 7 months old. I try and spread it out by 15 minutes or so when I can (I do under 23 months only)
Blackcat31 05:52 PM 08-09-2014
Originally Posted by Indianadaycare:
How do you teach your dcb to hold her/his bottle? Any props used? When I have to feed three babies, it sure would help if they could learn to hold their bottle! I would remain sitting next to them, but just need that third hand! Do you sit on the floor with them while they recline on a boppy? Prop up in an infant seat? What works for you? And finally, what age do you expect your dcb to hold his bottle, or learn to?
Check your licensing laws.
Mine state specifically that I must hold babies to feed them.
Propping is not allowed.

Like previous poster said, some kids learn early and some learn later.

How many kids do you have other than the 3 babies?

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you are really having issues getting them all fed, then perhaps you have too many babies.

I am allowed to have 3 infants too but I NEVER take more than one at a time because I can't properly care for any more than one while caring for the other kids I have in care. kwim?
Indianadaycare 12:29 PM 08-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Check your licensing laws.
Mine state specifically that I must hold babies to feed them.
Propping is not allowed.

Like previous poster said, some kids learn early and some learn later.

How many kids do you have other than the 3 babies?

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you are really having issues getting them all fed, then perhaps you have too many babies.

I am allowed to have 3 infants too but I NEVER take more than one at a time because I can't properly care for any more than one while caring for the other kids I have in care. kwim?
I have only the three and that's how it will stay until they are about two yrs old. Right now my days are filled with feedings, diapering, some play time and napping. It really isn't an issue of getting them all fed... I was just trying to think of a way to feed 2-3 at the same time so that they can have their play time together as well, but maybe that's just not possible. They each get held, loved on and cared for a lot - that's my focus all day. Just trying to see if I can coordinate feedings.
Thanks for all the input.
Heidi 01:48 PM 08-10-2014
I have only the three and that's how it will stay until they are about two yrs old. Right now my days are filled with feedings, diapering, some play time and napping. It really isn't an issue of getting them all fed... I was just trying to think of a way to feed 2-3 at the same time so that they can have their play time together as well, but maybe that's just not possible. They each get held, loved on and cared for a lot - that's my focus all day. Just trying to see if I can coordinate feedings.
Usually 6-8 months. When my current 20 month olds were about that age, there were occasions where I had to feed both at once. I'd put them on reclining pillows and hold both their bottles. That way, I could talk to them, engage them, etc.

As they started to grasp other things, I would say "use your hands" and help them hold their bottle, then start letting go for short periods. I did the same thing a few months later with their cups. "Use your hands" and hold them just within reach.
Blackcat31 03:55 PM 08-10-2014
Holy moly...you are busy then! Even with just 3 babies.

I can see how it is just a rotation between feeding, napping and changing all day.

If I were you, I'd maybe try working really hard on getting at least one of them to hold their own bottle. Maybe look into those plastic sleeve like things that you can put on bottles to give them handles.

I think those toss and take cups come with something similar so that you can choose to use as a regular cup or a sippy with handles.

Maybe one of the babies would catch on quickly and start holding on.
BrooklynM 02:39 PM 08-11-2014
You are busy! I won't take more than one non self-feeder at a time, so I only have one that I have to feed and the others can self feed. The good news is that I bet when once starts to feed themselves they all will!

It will get better with time, hang in there!
Indianadaycare 08:35 PM 08-11-2014
Thanks everyone!
Angelsj 06:51 AM 08-12-2014
I had a four month old hold it successfully, as long as I was there to pick it up when she dropped it. I currently have an 11 month old that refuses to hang on to it.
I would just try with whichever one seems more cooperative, and hopefully they will start to get on schedule together. Good luck!
Indianadaycare 08:21 AM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I had a four month old hold it successfully, as long as I was there to pick it up when she dropped it. I currently have an 11 month old that refuses to hang on to it.
I would just try with whichever one seems more cooperative, and hopefully they will start to get on schedule together. Good luck!

Reply Up